billy Hydes taken over by Allans Music.

W

wy yung

For those not in the know, billy Hydes is gone. From this point it will be known as Allans Billy Hyde music. Allans now also own the importers previously owned by Gary Hyde. What this ultimately means for the Australian drum industry is unclear at this time. There is a great deal of money behind Allans (owned by Vodafone) and they may drive many out of business. We shall see. End of an era. I am saddened by this. I taught for Hydes, worked for Hydes, teched for Hydes and spent many happy hours hanging at Hydes with my drummer friends....

It's a sad day Wy!!

I guess as long as their original store in Flemington remains as helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and price competative as they have been for many years, then I'll still happily frequent the place. I'm on first name basis with many of the guys there, they're a great bunch of blokes, I just hope they all keep their jobs.

My main concern.......Allens don't stock Ludwig.....Hydes do.

Pfog, Allans now own the importers so Ludwig is not a problem. Expect Allans to focus more on Hydes stock, Pearl, DW etc. Thanks Masoni. Even with maximum discount I pay $16 a pair for sticks.

Wow, there was Drum City, there was Hydes and there was Allans.

Then there was Hydes and Allans.

Now there's Allans. It's like the banks and supermarkets, the bigger fish keep eating the smaller fish until you have a cartel or monopoly.

Recently bought new sticks from Drum City (owned by Hydes) for $20, priced at $24. Yes Nick, we pay through the nose for gear out here. Can't see reduced competition helping ...

I don't want to tell you what I pay for my Vic Firth's at Guitar Center on the three day holiday weekends. But it's so cheap, I give them to my students. I can very easily get sticks for less than three bucks a pair somewhere.

The store where I work three days a week is closing this month. Can't compete with the big boys. The lessons pay the rent. I've done my part. I pay the rent. But the retail part just can't make ends meet. Music and Arts, owned by GC, can rent instruments for 60% of what we do. How do you compete with that?

On a side note, the record store near me is also closing. I talked to him a couple of years ago and he said it was just a matter of time. How he lasted this long I don't know. I think he does a lot of wholesaling on the side. But many big chains came and went: Sam Goody, Record World, Coconuts, Tower, Virgin. We would joke about it. when I was a kid he'd say to me, "see how long they last, and I'll still be here." He was right. He's been in business for forty years, longer than Kiss. lol

Its not the end of the world, but it IS a good time to support the independents.

It will probably result in forcefeeding of more of the same brands down customers throats, but they will be very aggressive with their pricing, particualrly in the early stages.

Delta I feel your pain and understand the situation you face.
I may finally accept those offers from Asia and go work in KL and China. Although I woiuld rather stay with my students.

The competition I think will matter in Oz is Ebay coupled with the fragile offshore market. Hopefully the last surviving shops will survive. But those drummers in Australia who were so lazy to never learn to tune your drums, you may have to. No one at Allans ever tuned anything for a customer in my experience.

Walking into Allan's here in Brisbane in the Mall and Billy Hyde's in the Valley are like two different shops........

Allan's drum department looks like a Van wheel spinned out of the shop and left the back of the truck open.............the drums are all over the place and the guys have no knowledge of the gear

Billy Hyde's guys are friendly and are happy to chew the fat on gear and now there stuff.....

Worlds apart, hope that doesn't change

Worlds apart, hope that doesn't change

Agreed.

Allans in Melb. are great if you know exactly what you want and exactly how much you're willing to pay for it (always haggle in Allans). If you're somewhat clueless as to your purchase, you still know more than the floor staff!

Hydes.......well, that original store in Flemington hasn't been there since 1962 for no good reason.

To be honest when I walked in to Allans Music in the city some lazy drum guy was talking loudly on the phone and just said no to anyone who asked to try any drums or who made too much noise. Their set ups were pretty poor, the floor kits were ill maintained and it was generally unimpressive and dismal.

I guess this means I'll just have to continue sticking with Ebay for products.

Allan's is also beyond stupidly expensive...........they've had the same blue Tama Starclassic kit in there for about three years now and they still don't get it.........IT"S STUPIDLY OVERPRICED!!!!..............it's not going anywhere at that price.

They price their cymbals wrong as well sometimes so keep an eye out, some great bargains to be had. I got a Paiste 2002 18" Power Crash for $399..........the Paiste 2002 17" Crash above it was priced $699..........go figure..........I snapped that 18" Crash up for that price ; - )

Also price match with Allan's..........I went to buy Behringer TRUTH studio monitors they had them for like $799 (the most expensive price around by a mile) I got them for $450 after I produced an Ad on line!!!

They weren't happy but as I kindly pointed out they would price match and it was a Shop, not an online store............

As it turns out the things weighted a ton so when the guy sweated his boots off bringing them out I said forget it mate.................I'll get them from Bily Hyde's I can pull my car up outside of there ha ha......

they priced match no problems..............rock n roll

Back