Bill Bruford autobiography?

R

Royal

Just ordered this. Anyone on here read it?

Yeah, I'm almost done with it now. It's very interesting to read his perspective on things. Unlike, say Miles Davis in his autobiography, Bruford writes from a more global perspective and gives a lot of social commentary abot the industry, musicians and their habits, how the business has changed.....
The book was extremely readable and entertaining to me. His writing is a mix of intellectual social analysis and extremely cynical humor. Despite the way that might sound, it's a very entertaining and readable book. It does become apparant as the book progresses that he's become very bitter and cynical about the industry, musicians' tendencies, the split between his domestic and professional life and a bunch of other matters, which i thought was kind of sad. However, I feel like I learned quite a bit about music as a business through his insights. I've also come to admire even more for his work ethic and dedication and his integrity which has caused him to be able to sucessfully play the music he's wanted to play through his career despite industry pressures to conform...anyway, i'd reccomend it.

great read. it really got me to go back and check out early yes and crimson records that i wasn't familiar with. i've always been a fan of his more current earthworks, thrak era crimson.

I'm a little confused at his reasons for retiring, sounds like the pressure of being at a certain level got to him. if you are a artist creating great music, why does it matter if you are "best" or if there are young guys coming up with faster chops.

Almost done with it. A good read. But I'm a Bruford fan from back in the stone age so it's nice to really know what went on back then with Yes and King Crimson.

I read the autobiography and really enjoyed it, although it was more a group of essays than a a linear life story. The music business was a bit different when Bruford started than it is today, although the "industry" was trying to take as much as possible then as now. I can understand the frustrations that Bruford expresses in the book.

Back