Bigger Kits

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
How many of you would play bigger kits if you didn't have to transport or set them up.?? Just wondering.

roncadillac

How many of you would play bigger kits if you didn't have to transport or set them up.?? Just wondering.
I wouldn't play more pieces (use a 2 or 3pc depending on the situation) but I absolutely would use larger drums (use a 16 or 18 bass and 13 or 14 floortom now).

I would LOVE a (dia x dep) 24x12-14 bass, and 16-18x10-12 floortom. I also really want to get a Tama hyperdrive kit with the 20" bass and 14" 'snom' and run it as a 3pc: 20" bass, 16" floor tom, 14" 'snom' as main snare

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I still do...6 piece and about 9-10 cymbals. Original rock band. I really hope I never get to the day where I limit what I use for a gig because of not wanting to transport it. Right now the only thing that can limit this set up is stage space

For my jazz/country band, it is just a 4 piece with 3 cymbs...the style calls for that.

I went from a 7 piece kit (3 up/2 down with an additional side snare) to a traditional 4 piece setup about 6-7 years ago. I wasn't far enough along in my musical journey to really make wise use of the all those pieces. Bringing it down to a 4 piece really forced me to think differently. My playing has grown considerably in that time.

I still have that 7 piece kit and think about setting it up again, just to gauge my progress, to see if I could make better choices this time out. But it would have to be a strictly "at-home" thing, as the band plays on some tiny ass stages. No way could I hog the majority of the stage space for myself.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I would love to go back to a 3 up 2 down. I don't have the space for that. I'd either need my kid to move out or build an addition. Neither is gonna happen any time soon. So I play a jungle kit. It's still fun and I enjoy it. But I do miss being able to do huge tom runs.

Transporting gear never really bothered me. Its part of the job.

roncadillac

Not me. All that other stuff distracts me, I get way too busy and the pocket vanishes.
Same. I didn't even use a single tom for years because I feel that I play fills like a dbag (even though all my bandmates always disagreed). I'm a pocket/groove guy in and out, even in the weird prog settings I've been a part of I still heavily rely upon snare and ride comping over fills and flash

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

So reading threads, and conversations like these, always leave me wondering how size of the kit negatively effects groove/pocket?

Isn't it our job to master all aspects of our playing, and not just one? And I feel like I can lay down a pretty phat pocket (not bragging, but I grew up playing to Motown, funk and jazz first) and that the extra splashes and my 8" tom have never had any kind of effect on that...I have been told that my country train beat is "golden"...and my double bass pedal has never gotten in the way of that...

just weird to think how some people make up invisible barriers for them selves

petrez

Always prefer a bigger kit myself, except for when I played in a party/coverband 5 years ago that didn't really need that much different drum sounds/percussion, and we usually played in small pubs. It helps playing in bands that a big kit fits right in (thrash/death metal), if I were into blues/jazz I would probably be all over a 4 piece kit... So yeah, I do transport and set up my 8 piece doublebass kit, mostly on every gig where I use my own kit.

Last edited:

roncadillac

So reading threads, and conversations like these, always leave me wondering how size of the kit negatively effects groove/pocket?

Isn't it our job to master all aspects of our playing, and not just one? And I feel like I can lay down a pretty phat pocket (not bragging, but I grew up playing to Motown, funk and jazz first) and that the extra splashes and my 8" tom have never had any kind of effect on that...I have been told that my country train beat is "golden"...and my double bass pedal has never gotten in the way of that...

just weird to think how some people make up invisible barriers for them selves
I respect and appreciate where you are coming from but I think your answer was in your statement: you grew up playing Motown, funk, and jazz and developed pocket as part of your 'early training' (for lack of a better term) and adapted that to a 'normal'/full set up. I personally, and many others around here, started bashing on drums as a kid with little formal direction and had to unlearn bad habits and ground ourselves... By removing appetizing distractions.

And I hope that didn't come across as snarky, I'm just trying to explain why it was helpful for me and my situation.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I respect and appreciate where you are coming from but I think your answer was in your statement: you grew up playing Motown, funk, and jazz and developed pocket as part of your 'early training' (for lack of a better term) and adapted that to a 'normal'/full set up. I personally, and many others around here, started bashing on drums as a kid with little formal direction and had to unlearn bad habits and ground ourselves... By removing appetizing distractions.

And I hope that didn't come across as snarky, I'm just trying to explain why it was helpful for me and my situation.
oh no...not snarky at all. I just hear a lot of guys "down talk" drummers with big kits in the scene, and usually it is unfounded assumption. Sort of like people think that if you play 5 string bass, you are instantly "better" than the 4 string guys

and I grew up playing a big kit for my age - it was my dads - we had the old Ludwig 4 piece and a bigger - and cheaper - Ludwig 7 piece that I used. I was not allowed to play the 1955 kit till I was in my 20's. Started palying drums in 1975 at 6 years old....

So I would put on a Gladys Knight album, and then a Kansas album and then a Motorhead album in the same practice session, ad use that 7 piece. It also had Camber cymbals....o_O rough!!!

UpandIn

A vast majority of the time I play a 4-piece. I'll add a second rack tom every once in a while for a few gigs but it inevitably doesn't last. There is something about adding additional drums that is distracting and affects my playing.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I never found kit sizes to impact my groove. I had a heck of a time shedding toms, because I just wasn’t that used to smaller kits. I finally discovered comfort behind the 1U setup, so got to the point it was more important than 2 or 3 up. Eventually I got used to it and now don’t think I would change back. No reason to with comfort playing a bigger part. I still kept 2 FTs. I can twist fine, so no issues with keeping the 2nd one around.

RickP

Gold Member
I have my last 5 piece kit up for sale . Once it sells I will only have four piece kits . A four piece covers all my current needs and I like having my ride cymbal in right where I want it .

I have owned large kits in the past and loved playing them , but the logistics of these kits just doesn’t do it for me anymore .

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wouldn't. I like the 5 piece. My tom playing is on the decrease by the gig. Three toms are almost too much. Almost.