Big Youtuber hires 10 different drummers to accompany his bass groove. VERY interesting.

9 and 10 were a definite waste of $490. Not cool to take someone's money and give them garbage. I really hate people sometimes.

I found it interesting that everyone played close to the same thing. I was expecting more of a variety of creativity.

9 and 10 were a definite waste of $490. Not cool to take someone's money and give them garbage. I really hate people sometimes.

I found it interesting that everyone played close to the same thing. I was expecting more of a variety of creativity.

#9 ($190) was terrible, and should not have been verified by Fiverr as a "Pro."

#10 was definitely a fan of Davie's and was waiting to ambush him with a joke submission. In a normal situation it would be outrageous, but in this case it got Davie some funny content for his video. Win/win.

I liked the #6 drummer ($68) and #8 ($110) the most, but there were a few others that were good as well.

Hmmm. Well. I was expecting to see a lot more flash and syncopation for such a short bass line. If I had the skill to do it, I'd have (over?)played a blazing tom pattern that would have exactly matched his bass notes for the first section, then a snare-centered pattern with equally busy tom action for the second. Bass drum pattern? 1 & 3 throughout.

If I had the skill. I don't. ;)

GeeDeeEmm

Interesting video. Great to see how different players devise different parts for the same track.

It also reminds me that my own funk drumming has fallen behind my other styles lately. This has inspired me to practice some different grooves.

Such videos are the reason why i never look videos from 'YT stars', because allready the graphics/editing annoy me hugely and the presentation annoys me even more..

Still i looked this one and i managed (not easily though) to get through the almost 13 minutes and none of those drummers really impressed me, especially since apparently they advertise themselves asking money for this..

In my opinion his own drum track sounded by far the best from all of them..

Bass playing and drumming aside, is the gent in the video attempting to do comedy, or satire, or is he being the sort of serious-dramatic that the Power Rangers are in order to appeal to 10 year olds?

I suspect that I'm just not wired for Humor 2.0.... Which is strange, because I love Electroboom.

Bass playing and drumming aside, is the gent in the video attempting to do comedy, or satire, or is he being the sort of serious-dramatic that the Power Rangers are in order to appeal to 10 year olds?

I suspect that I'm just not wired for Humor 2.0.... Which is strange, because I love Electroboom.
Humor 2.0 haha.

Davie is heavily influenced by 'meme culture' and PewDiePie's videos. (Pewdiepie is the most subscribed Youtuber, over 100 million now.)

Pretty interesting indeed. I found the narrator and the video style a little difficult to watch so I missed the details.
Did the drummers also supply an audio track? I don't quite get the purpose in providing a video play along.

I found it disappointing that this bass player picked the drummer that followed his choice of drumming exactly (which he had in his head before he got drummers to play). Surely the ideal situation would be if he came across a drummer that put in notes and painted the bass groove with a style he never planned on. What's it with musicians that want to write the drum parts instead of letting the drummer decide? You don't get that with a bassist deciding what a guitarist should play. His decision was predictable.

I found it disappointing that this bass player picked the drummer that followed his choice of drumming exactly (which he had in his head before he got drummers to play). Surely the ideal situation would be if he came across a drummer that put in notes and painted the bass groove with a style he never planned on. What's it with musicians that want to write the drum parts instead of letting the drummer decide? You don't get that with a bassist deciding what a guitarist should play. His decision was predictable.

And this is why studio work, even if you manage to get it, is overrated. It’s often predictable and unimaginative. You’re never working with the next Steely Dan, on their “Aja”.

And it should come as no surprise that when the bass player writes the song, the bass player wants the bass line to be the featured component.

Well, I didn't know anything about Davie504, so I dug deep into his catalog ..... and watched 3 minutes of one other video. And ...... he's got a definite style to his editing/humor/etc. Certainly, I can see his appeal ...... not really my cup-o-tea ...... but that's OK.

For your consideration ..... and only a 5 minute commitment .....

Here's 9 drummers doing 1 song ......

Well, I didn't know anything about Davie504, so I dug deep into his catalog ..... and watched 3 minutes of one other video. And ...... he's got a definite style to his editing/humor/etc. Certainly, I can see his appeal ...... not really my cup-o-tea ...... but that's OK.

For your consideration ..... and only a 5 minute commitment .....

Here's 9 drummers doing 1 song ......

This is the video from Davie504 that first caught my attention.

Ok - my opinions: (disclaimer - most of these guys have better chops than me, so take my thoughts with a big lump of salt)

1 - solid enough, but came out of the pocket a couple of times.
2 - I liked that - solid and right in the pocket
3 - Not a pro drummer IMO
4 - Ok? I mean, I'll give it an 'A' for effort, but it's not drumming so...
5 - Really rocked it up, more rock than funk, but I liked it a lot
6 - I didn't think it really fit stylistically, and he had that one lick at the end that I didn't think fit either, but not bad
7 - I thought that stylistically it fit, but it didn't have a "wow" factor
8 - really solid and it worked well stylistically. I think I liked the fact that it drove the groove, allowed the bass line to breathe, but had some really nice fills that propelled it.
9 - wow. Just...that was awful. Like, who does this guy play for that makes him think he's "professional?"
10 - that had to be a joke

My two favorites were #2 and #8

Thanks for that, very interesting. Interesting styles and tastes. Too many cymbals for some of those auditions.
2 and 8 worked best for me.
Is Davie504 Sacha Baron Cohen's kid?

Back