Big Youtuber hires 10 different drummers to accompany his bass groove. VERY interesting.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I loved that. I hate slapstick and silly comedy but I was LMAO on this. The drummers - most were excellent. #9 was really bad. But I think point was more to entertain, which it was. I give it an A+ a solid 10 for entertainment value.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Interesting vid.

Guess it shows that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get something useable for a demo from a real drummer.

Number 9, I hope they've been arrested for robbery and fraud, punishable by being locked in a room with a practice pad and a metronome until it's right. Could be a lifer :).

It would be interesting to see this but with the full Steely Dan mantra ie a full song and not just a bass line.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't find the "fire rotten fruit at the presenter" option, but the concept was pretty interesting.

Ghostin one

I've enjoyed a few of this guy's other videos that were a little less intense with the frenetic editing.

He reminds me of Pat Paulsen.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Such videos are the reason why i never look videos from 'YT stars', because allready the graphics/editing annoy me hugely and the presentation annoys me even more..

Still i looked this one and i managed (not easily though) to get through the almost 13 minutes and none of those drummers really impressed me, especially since apparently they advertise themselves asking money for this..

In my opinion his own drum track sounded by far the best from all of them..
I'm pretty sure you just said a drum machine is better than all of the real drummers? With so little guidance from the submitter of the music, how exactly would a drummer know what to play to "impress" you, further, how would they know that the thing that would impress you the most is a drum machine and literally nothing at all fancy?

I thought there were several cool ideas by a few different drummers in there.

If I had gotten the request I would probably take the route of that one guy and record at least a half dozen ideas for such a short bass groove. It's just too hard to read minds and he didn't ask for much!

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..I'm pretty sure you just said a drum machine is better than all of the real drummers? With so little guidance from the submitter of the music, how exactly would a drummer know what to play to "impress" you, further, how would they know that the thing that would impress you the most is a drum machine and literally nothing at all fancy?..

Thats exactly what i said, yes..

But i think you mistake me with that bass player, because i was not the client asking for drum parts in this case..

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Made it through maybe 30-45 seconds before starting to feel nauseous. I don't know if the producer didn't take his ADHD medicine or what happened. I just couldn't take any more of that visual assualt.

Not sure what the intended effect was supposed to be but I had to shut it off.

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
If I had gotten the request I would probably take the route of that one guy and record at least a half dozen ideas for such a short bass groove. It's just too hard to read minds and he didn't ask for much!
The "song" he provided was a couple lines of a rip of BSSM era Flea (the chorus of Lovely Man comes to mind for some reason, though I know it's wrong). There was no hinting, no direction, no hook, no melody, no dynamics. You could literally copy/paste/overlay almost any Chad Smith 4/4 loop and it would fit. To call it a cliche part is an understatement.

Your "too short" comment is dead on. The way that the part has the abrupt stop/break/terminator at the end makes it difficult to develop a drum-part's identity. The simplest workaround would be to copy/paste/loop additional verse bits so that you have room to speak/play your mind.

Now I feel like an a-hole for critiquing someone else's writing.