Big Fat Snare Drum

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Did a quick search and didn't see anything on these, but I am definitely interested. I have heard that putting another head on your snare helps fatten up the sound. Is this just a more expensive version of that? Does buying a thicker snare batter have the same effect. I have always just used emps over ambassadors and been ok with it, but I am looking to change up my sound a little. What is the DW consensus on these?

http://bigfatsnaredrum.com/pages/about-us

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It works if that's what you're looking for.

Homemade things work to some degree and might be better for some things, but the BFS is optimised and durable. It's just another option. Simple, cheap and does what it's supposed to do.

They have a couple of other cool things, too.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have always just taken an old snare head and inverted it on top of the installed snare head for that sound. Like Arne says, this is a manufactured version that is probably a little more deliberately engineered. No harm in that - some people hang mark trees in special holders; I just stick 'em on a cymbal stand. Both are fine, but some people want the purpose-made piece of gear.

Nictarine

Silver Member
I got a BFSD a few weeks ago I went with the Steve's Donut model.

I like the "Big Fat" sound I get from my snare with it but it kills A LOT of the volume I don't use it during rehearsal because of how much quiet the snare is with it on, BUT for recording or a gig where my snare is mic'd up it will be awesome!

It also moved around on the head a little bit more than I'd like but I'm learning to get used to it!

8Mile

Platinum Member
I heard Mike Johnston talking about it on his MD podcast and I decided to order one last year. I like it a lot. It's not a new concept to lay another head on top of the snare batter, but they do a nice job of adding the rubber gasket material and a thumb cut-out to quickly remove it. Who wants to bother making something like that? Plus, I'm a sucker for supporting the percussion industry.

The cool thing is it gives you a drastically different snare sound without a second snare drum. I played a gig last month where we went from a 311 song to something by Eagles and I had an appropriate drum sound for both tunes from the same snare drum.

MoreBeer

Silver Member
Great....now I have something else to buy so I'm about to order the combo pack. Thanks. LMAO! They sound decent on the video although move around like mad which will drive me crazy. Probably need to use a little tape.

I took a heavy terry cloth towel. Got a 13" head (same size as my snare), to use as a template, and cut a 13" circular piece of the cloth.

I simply lay the cloth on top of snare batter and sounds good. Simply remove when playing with brushes

mikyok

Platinum Member
I heard Mike Johnston talking about it on his MD podcast and I decided to order one last year. I like it a lot. It's not a new concept to lay another head on top of the snare batter, but they do a nice job of adding the rubber gasket material and a thumb cut-out to quickly remove it. Who wants to bother making something like that? Plus, I'm a sucker for supporting the percussion industry.

The cool thing is it gives you a drastically different snare sound without a second snare drum. I played a gig last month where we went from a 311 song to something by Eagles and I had an appropriate drum sound for both tunes from the same snare drum.

I got my mitts on one of these on Saturday. I was amazed they had made it to England.

I'm the same as 8 mile. I do a lot of songs that need that a different sound quickly. The 2 snare approach is annoying but I like being able to change sound in a second.

Tempted to put a separate mic on with reverb just to play Heat of the Moment :)

kaide

I was watching this earlier after I posted.

Cool comparison vid dude. Loving the jingle ring. They didn't have that one in store unfortunately.

Thanks! That jingle version is fun to play. I haven't used those much at gig setting but they are well made and sound good, if that's the sound you are looking.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I got the standard version (no donut), when I did a cover gig for the classic rock sound. It worked perfectly and switched quickly between songs. I later read how I could have done the same bu cutting up and old head and feel like a fool, next time I had a retired head (Ambassador), I cut it up and it wasn’t even close. I did the same later with a UV1 and that sounded like @$$! I’ve since cut another head into the donut version, then bought the donut version and again... not close. Maybe with a thicker head you could mimic the BFSD sound, but for ~$20, I haven’t found anything better to save time tuning a snare up and down or carrying a second. Well worth the money. Besides, cutting heads up straight isn’t as easy as one would like to think. They don’t like to cur straight.. The UV1 was also rigid and sharp and could give you a handy paper or is it Mylar cut in a second flat!

newoldie

Silver Member
I use it live for some gigs and found it works quite well if you're looking for a deeper, thuddier sound. Overall, I like it and feel it's a well made, easy on-easy off tool in my gig bag to use when a fatter sound is desired.

But it does mute the volume a bit if you're not micing up so I wouldn't suggest using it for a large venue where projection is important.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Did a quick search and didn't see anything on these, but I am definitely interested. I have heard that putting another head on your snare helps fatten up the sound. Is this just a more expensive version of that? Does buying a thicker snare batter have the same effect. I have always just used emps over ambassadors and been ok with it, but I am looking to change up my sound a little. What is the DW consensus on these?

http://bigfatsnaredrum.com/pages/about-us
Benny Greb demonstrates this in one of his instructional videos. I was amazed he went from thin and tight to super phat just by putting a head on top of the snare. Very cool trick. But lately, I've been into have two snares to choose from: one tuned medium as normal, and the other tuned way down for the fat sound, and I'd just switch snares between songs.

Old Dog new Cans

Just take an old head and cut it away from the metal. Then you don't have to pay $20+ for one of those donut head deals. Come on, everyone has an old head sitting somewhere, right??

The towel idea is simple too and works.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Wow, hello zombie thread. I actually have seen guys use them in the last couple years with varying degrees of success. I have found that they will kill the projection a bit so playing in a loud rock band in a small club they would not be optimal.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I tried using the the BFSD recently. It works great and gave me the exact fat sound I needed. As an alternative I've started using Aquarian's dura-DOT (Because I'm an Aquarian Artist and want to keep it in the family). Got the exact same results, however I get a little more crack with a rim-shot using the dura-DOT vs the BFSD. I think that, as it gives me a better dynamic range.

Aquarian dura-DOT