Big band Albums where you can hear the drums

pt3407

Please suggest some classic big band albums I could listen to that don’t have the drums insanely quiet. A lot of the ones I’ve listened to have this issue.

It is less of an issue and more of a limitation of the recording technology of the times.

Years, and specific artists would be better. Even today, how classics are played would probably be different than the original recording. Jazz always evolving and all that.

I would purchase this if you haven't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjQE03BNwxs

Just to get a feel for the different jazz eras.

Once you get a feel on what the drummers played back then it is easy to grasp:

Some Bob Cosby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-kpxelWkM

Some Glenn Miller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svRBivcvnd0

Last edited:
Not "classic" recordings, but classic songs :listen to The Christian McBride Big Band - The Good Feeling album. Fantastic good drumming (Ulysses Owens, Jr.), and the drums are in the forefront.

GeeDeeEmm

‘In the digital mood’ is a modern re-recording of the surviving members of the Glenn Miller band made in the early 90’s. Gives a much clearer rendition of the drums than the original recordings.

Biddy Rich - Big Swing Face

+1.... One fucking amazing album.
Buddy is sublime......so is everyone else.....but Buddy is a veritable drummer's wet dream on that album.

In fact, I can't actually think of a big band recording that Buddy played on where the drums were shrinking violets to anything. He was just that kind of virtuoso player. Grab any of those old Tommy Dorsey recordings and Buddy sticks out like dogs balls. Likewise for Krupa on so many of the Goodman recordings.

These guys were giants among men for good reason. Their drumming was revolutionary for the time. And anyone who claims they can't hear them, really isn't listening. A damn good start for you, for sure.

Check out Ed Shaunessy, drummer for the NBC Orchestra for Johnny Carson, or Doc Sevrenson, trumpet player and leader of the NBC orchestra. They did a lot of big band stuff. I'm sure they must be on Youtube

All of the Mingus big band albums. Dannie Richmond is one of the most underrated drummers ever imo. And Basie straight ahead had great drums in it

It's funny because whenever cozy cold or krupa or buddy rich played they were always miced well and recorded good. I guess when you have drummers of that caliber you really want them to be heard

Art Blakey Big Band (remastered 2013) - Art Blakey just kicks butt on this album. I am a huge fan of Art Blakey and this might be my favourite of his work. His drum and cymbal sounds are fantastic.

Terry Gibbs Dream Band - Mel Lewis shows you how Big Band is played, very tasty playing and his Cymbals sound fantastic.

Not a Classic but this is a favourite :
Maynard Ferguson Conquistador- a very young Peter Erskine playing his last gig before he went with Weather Report.

Art Blakey Big Band (remastered 2013) - Art Blakey just kicks butt on this album. I am a huge fan of Art Blakey and this might be my favourite of his work. His drum and cymbal sounds are fantastic.

Terry Gibbs Dream Band - Mel Lewis shows you how Big Band is played, very tasty playing and his Cymbals sound fantastic.

Not a Classic but this is a favourite :
Maynard Ferguson Conquistador- a very young Peter Erskine playing his last gig before he went with Weather Report.

Art Blakey is awesome, but he was more of a pioneer in the small combos. In other words no horn section blasts.

Art Blakey is awesome, but he was more of a pioneer in the small combos. In other words no horn section blasts.

Art Blakey actually started out as a Big Band Drummer with Fletcher Henderson and then Billy Eckstine before he helped pioneer the Bebop revolution. The Album I listed is a Big Band album and an excellent example of what the OP was looking for.

Back