Biased Store Employees? Is he just trying to sell his favourite brands...

jondrumming

I was at the drum shop lately, asking about some kits, and the guy there recommended, for my budget, Stage Customs and 3007s. He said they were great kits, and I agreed with him, having played both myself. But then I looked at some of the other kits set up (Tama Superstar Hyperdrive, Pearl Vision, and the like) and asked him if he could tell me more about those kits. He gave the Hyperdrives a kind of disgusted look, and said that the basswood makes them useless because basswood doesn't project, and it's soft wood, it's so soft that you could probably bend it with your hands.

Is he actually right, or is that ridiculous? I'd heard nothing but good things about the Hyperdrives, and here this guy is, saying they're badly made? I was just wondering if there is any credibility in what he's saying; is North American maple that much better than Asian Maple? I really don't think it's so soft you can bend it with your hands!

harryconway

Platinum Member
Probably any and every 1/4" drum shell is bendable, that's why shells go "out of round". And yes, almost everyone is biased, especially sales clerks. Got overstock on Yamaha and Sonor drums. Maybe some "factory incentive". Sell that sizzle. Buy the kit that sounds the best to you.

razorx

Platinum Member
Not a damn thing wrong with superstars. These are mine. My local music store pushes pearl visions, exports, purcusion pluss( what a joke), and sabian/paiste beginner cymbals.
Everynow and then they have a tama superstar. It's been years since I saw a starclassic or a new high end cymbal.

wloeb

I was at the drum shop lately, asking about some kits, and the guy there recommended, for my budget, Stage Customs and 3007s. He said they were great kits, and I agreed with him, having played both myself. But then I looked at some of the other kits set up (Tama Superstar Hyperdrive, Pearl Vision, and the like) and asked him if he could tell me more about those kits. He gave the Hyperdrives a kind of disgusted look, and said that the basswood makes them useless because basswood doesn't project, and it's soft wood, it's so soft that you could probably bend it with your hands.

Is he actually right, or is that ridiculous? I'd heard nothing but good things about the Hyperdrives, and here this guy is, saying they're badly made? I was just wondering if there is any credibility in what he's saying; is North American maple that much better than Asian Maple? I really don't think it's so soft you can bend it with your hands!
In the price range I like the stage custom. Yes I am biased (I own two Yamaha kits and one Sonor) The stage custom is the one that I would want to rely on when gigging due to it's good quality shells and excellent hardware. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

jondrumming

Probably any and every 1/4" drum shell is bendable, that's why shells go "out of round". And yes, almost everyone is biased, especially sales clerks. Got overstock on Yamaha and Sonor drums. Maybe some "factory incentive". Sell that sizzle. Buy the kit that sounds the best to you.
They are definitely overstocked on Yamaha and Sonor, they have stacks and stacks of them all along all the walls :S

In the price range I like the stage custom. Yes I am biased (I own two Yamaha kits and one Sonor) The stage custom is the one that I would want to rely on when gigging due to it's good quality shells and excellent hardware. That's my opinion for what it's worth.
I absolutely agree with you, my school has two Stage Custom kits, they sound great.

MikeM

Platinum Member
That's tough call on the biased store employees. Sometimes their personal preference is based on their experience and should be considered. I've had (trusted) store guys steer me away from products because they really were shoddy. Conversely, one store guy turned me onto Mapex after I had been ignoring them for so long as just a mid-level kit - but they really are as nice as he claimed!

It's sometimes hard to know who you're dealing with, though - helpful salesman/drum enthusiast, or snake oil salesman. Use your eyes and ears and buyer beware!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
That's tough call on the biased store employees. Sometimes their personal preference is based on their experience and should be considered.
Exactly. If the guy behind the counter is 20-ish, he won't have the amount of experience as someone older who's been playing longer and probably selling drums longer (and is more familiar with long-term benefits and drawbacks, customer satisfaction, etc.)

I absolutely trust the word of an experienced guy at a dedicated drum shop, before someone younger at a box store. It doesn't take long to figure out who knows more about drums - me or them - and I base my decisions accordingly.

Bermuda

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
I think if he was really trying to sell you something that much he wouldn't be so scathing about his own stock? I don't think the hyperdrives are as bad as he says, but out of the 2 i would definetly take the Stage Customs. Oh and btw i've got a set of really cheap drums that you CAN bend the shells by hand!