Bev Bevan

thanks for that. Very good heavy drummer that suited ELO. I wondered whatever happened to him. Had never known his early stuff either.
I also had NO idea he toured with Sabbath - quite a shift from ELO!

I love ELO, but I think I like the Move more, especially Looking On and Music From the Country. I noticed that Bevan didn't really speak about those albums. I thought I read somewhere that Lynne played the drums on some of those tracks. I wouldn't say Bevan was the strongest drummer, but he was effective. Would have been interesting to hear ELO with some more sophisticated beats...

I've always thought it was funny Sabbath got the guy from ELO to be their touring drummer.

I recall many, many years ago he wrote an article in Modern Drummer about life on road during a short tour with Sabbath.

Love ELO, wrote some great songs. My old man used to see Jeff Lynne all the time in the 60's when he was in the Idle Race. We're next door to Birmingham so we had all the up and coming touring bands doing the rounds. Wish I'd have been alive to see a local scene.

Kelly Groucutt used to live on the street next to my parents before he made it with ELO.

Bev Bevan played on a lot of hits not forgetting his stuff with the Move. Played exactly what the songs required. Mr Starkey did just that with the Beatles.

I'm not surprised he got the Sabbath gig he's from Birmingham. It was Gillan getting the Sabbath gig that suprised me!

I've always thought it was funny Sabbath got the guy from ELO to be their touring drummer.

I recall many, many years ago he wrote an article in Modern Drummer about life on road during a short tour with Sabbath.

I too remember reading that article in MD! A LONG time ago. :)

I think Bev Bevan was so foolish to leave his beautiful wife Valerie for that Joy Strachan-Brain.. what a disappointment!

I love ELO, but I think I like the Move more, especially Looking On and Music From the Country. I noticed that Bevan didn't really speak about those albums. I thought I read somewhere that Lynne played the drums on some of those tracks. I wouldn't say Bevan was the strongest drummer, but he was effective. Would have been interesting to hear ELO with some more sophisticated beats...
Bought ELO's greatest yesterday. I was struck by the effectiveness of the un-showy drumming. Simplest way is often the best in life.

Don Arden was the manager for Black Sabbath at the time they needed a touring drummer in 1983 for the Born Again Tour. Arden was also the manager for ELO at the time (or he had been at least, not sure if he still was ELO's manager at that exact time), anyway it was Arden who recommended Bevan for the Sabbath gig. Sabbath were in a fix, Bill Ward was having severe alcohol problems again after completing the Born Again album, Sabbath had a tour booked, I'm sure one of the first people who knew about all of this would have been their manager (Arden), and...........presto! Bev Bevan was brought in to tour with Sabbath. I'm not trying to diminish Bevan in any way, this is how the industry works. Connections are vital. I only relayed the story because it was indeed a strange jump to go from ELO to Sabbath in my view. For those who may not know Don Arden was Sharon Osborne's (Ozzy's wife) father.

Don Arden was the manager for Black Sabbath at the time they needed a touring drummer in 1983 for the Born Again Tour. Arden was also the manager for ELO at the time (or he had been at least, not sure if he still was ELO's manager at that exact time), anyway it was Arden who recommended Bevan for the Sabbath gig. Sabbath were in a fix, Bill Ward was having severe alcohol problems again after completing the Born Again album, Sabbath had a tour booked, I'm sure one of the first people who knew about all of this would have been their manager (Arden), and...........presto! Bev Bevan was brought in to tour with Sabbath. I'm not trying to diminish Bevan in any way, this is how the industry works. Connections are vital. I only relayed the story because it was indeed a strange jump to go from ELO to Sabbath in my view. For those who may not know Don Arden was Sharon Osborne's (Ozzy's wife) father.
Bevan was kind of a basher,so to me ,not completely out of bounds.

Back