Between 3 kits....

Mike St.Clair

So, I'm not sure saying I've narrowed it down to three kits is a good thing or not. All three have a sound that would work for me. All are 10/12/14/20 kits with a snare (which I don't need). Yamaha Stage Customs (natural finish) , PDP Concept Birch (cherry to black fade sparkle), and Mapex Armory's in photon blue sparkle. I would also like to be able to add an 8" tom. Yamaha is by far the cheapest on that and in total. The Stage Customs would be $585 including the 8" tom and $50 rebate. The Mapex Armory's would be about $710, (including 8" tom) but the 8" tom is not readily available. The PDP Concept birch drums are about the same with the 8" at $725. I did notice the SC's have pretty dinky floor tom mounts for the legs. I've never been a fan of PDP's lugs, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples. These deals are good through 12/1, or until they sell them at the various online shops I've found. They are all new in the box, the only way I'm interested in buying them. Thanks for any guidance about quality differences.

The Mapex Armory in photon blue is GORGEOUS.

I'd struggle to go past that, but then, deep down I'm really shallow.

It does look nice in the pics I've seen. The Yamahas are the most boring as far as finishes go IMO.

If you're buying with hardware, Yamaha hands down. If just buying shells, I'd still go with the Yammies, or the PDP. The inavailability of the 8" tom is a bit of a downer and i have very good experiences with both the other brands' kits at this price point.

Not sure what that would be. I have all my Roadpro hardware from 04. I also have 4 snares, one of which I haven't really played. DCP has the Gretsch Marquees for $799, but they are a 22" kick and 16' FT. I could probably stretch to $1k, just haven't seen much that is "measurably better" than these kits for that money.

Yamahas finishes are pretty plain jane, but the ones I had, have been flawless.
Mapex does a good job of providing flashier finishes.

I have no problem recommending the Yamahas.
You'd be getting a good price on them, and there are plenty of expansion options if you decide to do that.
I haven't owned the other kits, just tried them out a bit.

I'd go with the Yamahas. Their drums are typically of a very high quality, they have great resale, and you can always add more drums later on.

PDP looks to me like the highest quality. Finish looks richer and I know you are getting a 20" but they don't play kiddie games with the number of lugs on the 14" or the 24" kick.

This lacquer looks no less than any DW and the fade is done totally correct.
Floor legs and brackets look stout.. The tom suspension is more substantial than the others too.

PDP-Concept-Birch-14x12-floor-tomCherry-to-Black.jpg

And I’m considering adding a used 16x24 bass drum to my Gretsch kit for $1300....

But you know, I agree with the assessment on the PDP kit. They really don’t skimp on lugs, finishes, and features. Those seem like the best bang for buck.

The Yamaha tom mount system is the most reliable, stable, easiest to set up and adjust system I've run across.
Not sure if that equates to substantial, but I've never even come close to having a problem with it.
And yes, the PDP's look to be pretty well made.

Edit: when I hear substantial, I think thick and heavy.
I prefer well engineered - thin and light, yet very strong.
Not that I have to lug drums around, but if I did, I like them light.

Last edited:
Oh, I know what the problem is.
You picked the wrong color Stage Custom. You want these:

76825275-3047-46dc-af0f-ea92a63282ff.jpg._CB298801914_.jpg

I saw those in person at The Drum Shop in Portland Maine while visiting up there, too orangy for me. I would probably chose the natural or red finish. Boy, this is a hard choice to make. I'm also wondering if I want to wander from having a 22" kick. Still same price and availability either way. Yamaha is just so cheap on their add on toms and are readily available. I was quite impressed by the 20" SC kick that was in our local GC. I haven't really hit on the PDP birch drums, their lug designs has always kept me away. Sounds trivial, but I can't help but see them. The Mapexs' I was able to tap on the toms and thought they sounded pretty sweet.

Last edited:
I'd go with the Yamahas. Their drums are typically of a very high quality, they have great resale, and you can always add more drums later on.

Bang on for all three points. You can't go wrong with the current line of Yamaha SC's.

A few options for base kits: 4 piece kit with 18" kick, and 5, and 6 piece kits with 20" or 22" kicks. Pus a complete line of well built, affordable add-ons to expand, or build your own configuration.

I hate to say it cause I'm a Mapex guy, but I'd go with the Yamaha SCs. Best resale value, smooth sound and easy to add on. I also like that the toms can be mounted on the bass, that is huge for me. I don't care for the Armory series or the new Mars series for that matter, way too gimmicky. The PDP's are ok, but I'd rather play a set of Yamaha drums over PDP.

I'm definitely leaning very hard towards the SC's. Can not beat the price and it checks my bass drum mount lacquer boxes. I know the naturals are fairly boring, but they show the wood grain and the cranberry ones only show it if your're right up on them. Not sure what I think about white. 15% off and a $50 rebate is hard to argue with.

Not sure what that would be. I have all my Roadpro hardware from 04. I also have 4 snares, one of which I haven't really played. DCP has the Gretsch Marquees for $799, but they are a 22" kick and 16' FT. I could probably stretch to $1k, just haven't seen much that is "measurably better" than these kits for that money.

You should definitely consider the Gretsch Marquees for $799. They're basically Renowns without the 302 hoops and the silver sealer. Very high quality, definitely a step up from the other kits you listed. I considered those myself before getting the Renown because the price is so good.

Of the 3 kits you listed, I don't think you can go wrong with the Stage Customs. I've played them and they look like a $1000 kit and sound like an even more expensive kit.

I've always hated the PDP lugs too. I know they're quality drums, they're possibly the highest quality of the 3 kits you listed, but I just can't get over it either.

Back