Better with age?

Lennytoons

My experience with most drum heads is that over time they go dead and lose their resonance and good tone. I've used many different heads from all of the major manufacturers. About nine months ago I put Aquarian Response 2 heads on my Gretsch Renown kit. I have Classic clears as resos. Not only have these heads not lost tone but they are actually better sounding than when new. I really can't explain it but it's true. Anyone else experience this?

C.M. Jones

Head-changing frequency is super-personal, as is the assessment of the way heads sound and feel. When I used Coated Ambassadors everywhere, I changed them more frequently than I change the Coated Pins I have on my toms and bass now. The Pins seem to sound great forever (maybe because they benefit from a bit of breaking in?), and because they're double-ply, they're obviously more durable. It's impossible to impose strict head-changing standards. If older heads meet your approval, that's really all that matters.

Last edited:

ToneT

My experience with most drum heads is that over time they go dead and lose their resonance and good tone. I've used many different heads from all of the major manufacturers. About nine months ago I put Aquarian Response 2 heads on my Gretsch Renown kit. I have Classic clears as resos. Not only have these heads not lost tone but they are actually better sounding than when new. I really can't explain it but it's true. Anyone else experience this?
Some drumheads may take a little time to conform to bearing edges. Bottom snare heads take about a day or two to tune evenly due to the beds on some of my snares.
I've noticed the film becoming somewhat cloudy on some worn out heads along with a reduction in resonance.
I'm a Remo Ambassador guy but I use Evans Hydraulics on bass drum batters. I get lots of mileage out of my heads.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
To a point.

I just changed snare batters from G1 to coated ambassador. The new coated ambassador to my ear doesn't sound broken in right away. They sound a little thick to me.

I know that it's just the coating. I prefer a coated snare head that has been played a month or 2

It could be the Aquarian heads like you say, but it could also have to do with your own changing tastes

Either way you're happy about it, so cool

Bozozoid

The only Aquarian heads I use are the frosted single snarehead and the super kick 2 and regulator front. The snarehead sounds best after mmmmmm maybe a week. Bass heads are great from the time you put them on. The pinstripe batters sound best in about 3 months. ..and like fine wine..better with age.

Icetech

Gold Member
Aquarians last forever.. i love them. I do change mine every 6 months or so, but i play 2-4 hours every night.. I actually change them just due to being dirty and liking shiny and new :) not cause they wear out.

I actually change them just due to being dirty and liking shiny and new :) not cause they wear out.
A slightly moist sponge with a little bit of dishwashing agent has worked for me. I've used it to remove some of the gunk when selling a snare, that I wanted to look nicer in the photo - most of the black spots from brush playing were gone afterwards. Might help to hold on to heads for a couple of months longer. :)

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Head-changing frequency is super-personal, as is the assessment of the way heads sound and feel. When I used Coated Ambassadors everywhere, I changed them more frequently than I change the Coated Pins I have on my toms and bass now. The Pins seem to sound great forever (maybe because they benefit from a bit of breaking in?), and because they're double-ply, they're obviously more durable. It's impossible to impose strict head-changing standards. If older heads meet your approval, that's really all that matters.
I had a very similar experience with the Hydraulics. The thickness made them last forever & the oil layer kept the sound consistent (and no...they didn't sound like "cardboard boxes").