Better cheap hardware: Ludwig 400 or Gibraltar 4700?

Hello,

I asked this question in the Ludwig Breakbeats review thread, but since it's a hardware question I thought I'd ask here as well.

I just got the Breakbeats kit this past weekend and really dig it so far. I just has so much personality.

Since it just comes as a shell pack, I'm using stands from my old CB kit for now, but I'd like to sell that kit and get a hardware pack for the Breakbeats.

I'm just playing around for my own hobby enjoyment, getting older now and not interested in gigs these days. I don't need the most heavy duty stuff since they'll pretty much just get set up once and stay there.

I'm looking at these two right now. Both are in my price range (cheap).

Ludwig 400

or

Gibraltar 4700

Originally looked at the Ludwig stuff since it's a Ludwig kit, but I got a Gibraltar 4711ST strap drive pedal and really like it. Saw a video about the Gibraltar set and it looks like pretty nice stuff, but I haven't found many reviews.

Anyone have any opinions on which way to go here?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any experience with the Gibraltar pack, but I have some Ludwig 400 stuff and it is pretty heavy duty. Also you can find it cheaper than that elsewhere.

Personally I would probably look at some lightweight stands to go with the breakbeats.

Allow me to blow your mind.

The Ludwig 400 stuff is made by Gibraltar AFAIK, so you are getting essentially the same quality either way you go.

Allow me to blow your mind.

The Ludwig 400 stuff is made by Gibraltar AFAIK, so you are getting essentially the same quality either way you go.

17tblgoitiqv4jpg.jpg

They may be made by the same company, but the designs are pretty different.

The Ludwig looks much better to me. Zoom in and compare.

They may be made by the same company, but the designs are pretty different.

The Ludwig looks much better to me. Zoom in and compare.

After looking at Gibraltar's lines and the Ludwig, I think they are similar. However, I think the Ludwigs are more like a cross of the 4700, 5700, and 6700 series.

It is almost looks like the cymbal stands from the 4700, the pedal and snare stand from the 5700 series, and the hi hat stand from the 6700 series.

Interesting. I figured the quality would be similar base on price, but I've heard the Ludwig set is fairly heavy and Gibraltar lists theirs as lightweight.

Interesting. I figured the quality would be similar base on price, but I've heard the Ludwig set is fairly heavy and Gibraltar lists theirs as lightweight.

In terms of weight, the 400 stuff is heavier than some starter hardware out there, but in terms of features is very comparable to the 4700. If you look at the bracing, number of tiers on the boom stand, it's quite similar.

Ludwig's new Standard line of hardware is, in my opinion, better quality and better design for only about $50 more on average.

Also keep a lookout for Yamaha 700-series hardware packs. Every now and again you find them for $279 or under. They may be single-braced, but it's some of the best stuff on the planet. I've had my Yamaha 700 hardware for almost 20 years, and gigging most of those. It's still working like the day I got it.

The Ludwig bass drum pedal has a base plate. The Gibraltar doesn't.
All of the tubing looks to be a larger diameter with the Ludwig stuff (hard to tell from pics).
The snare/basket adjustment has different configurations,
and the lower section of the hi hat stand looks heavier and the legs swivel.
Don't know about the Gibraltar one.

I also use Yamaha hardware. You can sometimes find pretty good deals on it, and there shouldn't be much problem with used stuff either.

Back