Best way to mount the second crash

Bertram

Silver Member
I got a 16'' crash, 20'' ride and 14'' hi-hat, so im starting to wonder if i want another crash, and looking at solutions to mount it. I got a BD mount for toms, and because i play with 1 tom up, i have two slots open for... something.
I want an 18'' crash, but should i mount it with a boom-stand or what would be the smartest thing? Im going to have a splash in the future aswell - so saving the BD mounts for smaller cymbals? I dont know. Bring your experiences.

Bertram

A boom stand seems like the simplest way to do it, unless you want to start mounting everything on a rack. You could probably mount your future splash on the BD tom mount with a clamp.

That's what i thought, cymbal stand... But accoring to future splash, then i can just buy a simple cymbal arm, to put in the Bd mount - it's a Yammie.

I use only one rack tom. But my bass drum tom mount has two holes. So I took the top section of a cymbal stand and put it in that second tom hole. Works like a charm. No need of an extra stand. and its in the perfect spot!
They need to be the same diameter, tough. Mine was 7/8".

Yeah, i thought about that too, a cymbal stand is just about the same price as the cymbal arm... Can't decide.

I have done it both ways: cymbal stand or mounting it on the bass drum. I use a cymbal stand now because I decided that the one tom was enough weight on the bass drum. That's just me though. Either way is cool, just a personal choice. Peace and goodwill. Once I did this:

Attachments

• 100_0202.JPG
    100_0202.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 273
For me, I wouldn't load up the bass drum with goods. Buy a cymbal stand. You will use it for other things down the road.

I got a 16'' crash, 20'' ride and 14'' hi-hat, so im starting to wonder if i want another crash ....

20" ride, 14" hats, and two 16" crashes ....​

Attachments

• 139-3981_IMG.JPG
    139-3981_IMG.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 252
I have done it both ways: cymbal stand or mounting it on the bass drum. I use a cymbal stand now because I decided that the one tom was enough weight on the bass drum. That's just me though. Either way is cool, just a personal choice. Peace and goodwill. Once I did this:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I have never had a problem with this.Another cymbal...another stand set up so I could actually hit the cymbal without having to stretch or stand up.Boom stands give you more flexibility in placement.

Steve B

So, people use most commonly 2, 16'' ? or 16 - 18 '' ?

In this day and age .... I don't think there is a "commonly" ... you simply do whatever you want to do ... and change it any time you want. Takes what ... less than a minute, to remove a wing nut and felt, pull down an old cymbal, and hang a new one. I have two 12" crashes, five 14" crashes, four 16" crashes, one 17, and one 18 ... yet I normally fly only 3 at any one time, on my kit.​
Then, if you get into "stacking" cymbals ... that opens up another whole sound pallet, you can run two 16" crashes, but "stack" one with a splash ....​

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Yes, I was being serious. I never put that much stufff on that little bass drum again because it sounds better with just the tom mounted on it. I bought another cymbal stand. I put the ride and one crash on one stand and the second crash on another stand. The crashes are either 15" and 17" or 17" and 18". Peace and goodwill.

I don't really understand the dilemma, just buy a cymbal stand, straight or boom or whatever will work and be done with it. I would never mount too much stuff from a bass drum mount. Way too much stress on the wood from one place. I use 2 18" crashes, 1 20" ride and 1 19" crash and I just use 3 or 4 cymbal stands. Actually I could get away with three and a boom arm/clamp to hold the ride. No-brainer solution man.

It wasn't a nobrainer to me, thus I asked. I don't know anything about stress on the wood, thus I asked, i don't know what will work out - I.E i don't wanna waste alot of money on wierd stands, and clamps all over. First kit, first thoughts, first-timer.

Back