Best way to mount the second crash

Bertram

Silver Member
I got a 16'' crash, 20'' ride and 14'' hi-hat, so im starting to wonder if i want another crash, and looking at solutions to mount it. I got a BD mount for toms, and because i play with 1 tom up, i have two slots open for... something.
I want an 18'' crash, but should i mount it with a boom-stand or what would be the smartest thing? Im going to have a splash in the future aswell - so saving the BD mounts for smaller cymbals? I dont know. Bring your experiences.

Bertram

PQleyR

Platinum Member
A boom stand seems like the simplest way to do it, unless you want to start mounting everything on a rack. You could probably mount your future splash on the BD tom mount with a clamp.

Bertram

Silver Member
That's what i thought, cymbal stand... But accoring to future splash, then i can just buy a simple cymbal arm, to put in the Bd mount - it's a Yammie.

wsabol

Gold Member
I use only one rack tom. But my bass drum tom mount has two holes. So I took the top section of a cymbal stand and put it in that second tom hole. Works like a charm. No need of an extra stand. and its in the perfect spot!
They need to be the same diameter, tough. Mine was 7/8".

Bertram

Silver Member
Yeah, i thought about that too, a cymbal stand is just about the same price as the cymbal arm... Can't decide.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I have done it both ways: cymbal stand or mounting it on the bass drum. I use a cymbal stand now because I decided that the one tom was enough weight on the bass drum. That's just me though. Either way is cool, just a personal choice. Peace and goodwill. Once I did this:

Attachments

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
For me, I wouldn't load up the bass drum with goods. Buy a cymbal stand. You will use it for other things down the road.

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
I have done it both ways: cymbal stand or mounting it on the bass drum. I use a cymbal stand now because I decided that the one tom was enough weight on the bass drum. That's just me though. Either way is cool, just a personal choice. Peace and goodwill. Once I did this:
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I have never had a problem with this.Another cymbal...another stand set up so I could actually hit the cymbal without having to stretch or stand up.Boom stands give you more flexibility in placement.

Steve B

Lunar Satellite Brian

So, people use most commonly 2, 16'' ? or 16 - 18 '' ?
most people use two different sizes, if I were to pick to cymbal sizes it would be16" and 14" having only two crash cymbals and have them both the same size will give you a small tonal range. Go with an 18" or 14" for a second.

harryconway

Platinum Member
So, people use most commonly 2, 16'' ? or 16 - 18 '' ?
In this day and age .... I don't think there is a "commonly" ... you simply do whatever you want to do ... and change it any time you want. Takes what ... less than a minute, to remove a wing nut and felt, pull down an old cymbal, and hang a new one. I have two 12" crashes, five 14" crashes, four 16" crashes, one 17, and one 18 ... yet I normally fly only 3 at any one time, on my kit.​
Then, if you get into "stacking" cymbals ... that opens up another whole sound pallet, you can run two 16" crashes, but "stack" one with a splash ....​

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
Yes, I was being serious. I never put that much stufff on that little bass drum again because it sounds better with just the tom mounted on it. I bought another cymbal stand. I put the ride and one crash on one stand and the second crash on another stand. The crashes are either 15" and 17" or 17" and 18". Peace and goodwill.

samdrum

I don't really understand the dilemma, just buy a cymbal stand, straight or boom or whatever will work and be done with it. I would never mount too much stuff from a bass drum mount. Way too much stress on the wood from one place. I use 2 18" crashes, 1 20" ride and 1 19" crash and I just use 3 or 4 cymbal stands. Actually I could get away with three and a boom arm/clamp to hold the ride. No-brainer solution man.

Bertram

Silver Member
It wasn't a nobrainer to me, thus I asked. I don't know anything about stress on the wood, thus I asked, i don't know what will work out - I.E i don't wanna waste alot of money on wierd stands, and clamps all over. First kit, first thoughts, first-timer.