Best way to clean Roland plastic cymbals

MrWriter

My Roland CY-12C, CY-13R and CY-15R are all starving to look light grey with dust and scuffs etc.

What's the best way/method/product to get them back to a nice matt black colour without spending a fortune on some silly NASA type spray.

When I had my Roland kit, I used Aerospace 303, a spray that is readily available online and not too costly. It did a nice job cleaning rubber pads and cymbals to bring back the original matte black color.

Yeah, I know about that 303 stuff, but it cost £14 per spray can and I've read some of the not so great reviews on Amazon. I was thinking something more along the lines of hot soapy water. I know with the mesh heads on my Roland snare I simply took it off and put it through the dish washer and it came out like new ;)

If you use Armor or for you Brits Armour All, you have to make sure you wipe out as much excess as you can otherwise it will bleed onto your sticks and stain your mesh heads. (you can still wash the mesh heads off and they will clean up just fine, but if you don't they will look dirty right away). So in other words use a microfiber towel, add just a little bit of Armour All to the towel and rub the cymbal, don't pour/spray directly because that way you end up using too much. One of those bottles should last you for the rest of your life. Way cheaper (and better than the spray can, and also based on my tests it works way better, I have also used it to clean amps and it makes them look like new.

Never realised Roland made plastic cymbals ;)
They don't but Armor all works well as long as you don't drench the cymbals. I tried a special rubber cleaner and it worked but it is more expensive and works just the same as Armor All.

They don't but Armor all works well as long as you don't drench the cymbals. I tried a special rubber cleaner and it worked but it is more expensive and works just the same as Armor All.
I assume that Amour All will work just fine on the silver Roland cymbals too? Maybe I should give it a try....

I don't have electronic drums (or cymbals for that matter) but have experience with the Armor All linked above. It's greasy (not to mention, crap), which is why it will transfer to your heads.
Try finding a non-greasy (they are advertised as such) protectant instead. I'm not sure what's available over there, and I don't consider these "NASA type sprays" but on this side of the pond, there are products like Meguires Natural Protectant, 303 Protectant, Chemical Guys VRP or even their Hydro Shield, etc...

Wow. Dude. Nobody cares how your e-cymbals look.
MrWriter apparently does, and that's all that really matters.

I don't have electronic drums (or cymbals for that matter) but have experience with the Armor All linked above. It's greasy (not to mention, crap), which is why it will transfer to your heads.
Try finding a non-greasy (they are advertised as such) protectant instead. I'm not sure what's available over there, and I don't consider these "NASA type sprays" but on this side of the pond, there are products like Meguires Natural Protectant, 303 Protectant, Chemical Guys VRP or even their Hydro Shield, etc...

MrWriter apparently does, and that's all that really matters.
Agree with half of that, yes Armor all IS greasy, but that is why you put it on then wipe most of it off, which leaves the surface protected but not greasy, hence why I said not to put it directly onto the cymbals, just add a little of it to a microfiber cloth then rub that to cover the cymbal, and use another cloth to wipe any excess. I have tried the NON greasy and they didn't work as well as Armor All. The non greasy products had to be applied on a very regular basis because they didn't last as long, Armor All on the other hand lasted longer, of course both products would wear out based on use, so, if you play daily and for many hours, the non greasy kind would have to be applied every other day while Armor All may last you at least a week or longer. That is MY experience, others may have different experiences.

303, you don't need that much, at this rate the small bottle I got could last a decade. If it's not easy to get, then a damp cloth can also help.

The problem with Armor All is it contains silicone which will break down the cymbal material in time. 303 doesn't and works the best of all products.
But, hey it's your property to ruin. Just sell them and make it the next persons problem. It's the acceptable thing to do these days.:censored:

Damp cloth then 303. Lasts for donkey's.

Back