best walnut snare?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Al, I nearly pulled the trigger on your exact 7" X 13" Guru segmented Walnut!
Please contact me if you ever decide to sell it.
It's possible - just possible - I might have a shell I'd forgotten to factor into the final builds. Not sure what size, but I'll let you know if it becomes a reality. Equally possible, I might be a confused old git, so I'm holding back for now :)

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
It's possible - just possible - I might have a shell I'd forgotten to factor into the final builds. Not sure what size, but I'll let you know if it becomes a reality. Equally possible, I might be a confused old git, so I'm holding back for now :)
Thanks Andy! Let me know.

Drum Guy

no agenda - juts getting back into drums after 20 years and am starting to look at more serious works of musical art that sound great...trying to educate myself on these things

I've got a new maple DW performance kit 6 piece with 5.5 x14 maple snare, DW 6.5x14 1mm aluminum, Yamaha 3.5x14 piccolo from 1983, and just wanted to round out things with a solid walnut - maybe a 5 or 6 inch from somebody

Thanks for all answers - helping me - looks like N&C may do the trick.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
no agenda - juts getting back into drums after 20 years and am starting to look at more serious works of musical art that sound great...trying to educate myself on these things

I've got a new maple DW performance kit 6 piece with 5.5 x14 maple snare, DW 6.5x14 1mm aluminum, Yamaha 3.5x14 piccolo from 1983, and just wanted to round out things with a solid walnut - maybe a 5 or 6 inch from somebody

Thanks for all answers - helping me - looks like N&C may do the trick.
I see, well that's one heck of a way to start! Enjoy your snares, and maybe do a comparison of them and tell us what you think once you get them dialed in.

vyacheslav

For a "cheaper" option, the PDP/DW Limited Edition 7.5" x 14" pictured below goes for $299 new. EDIT: I just realized it's 20 ply with 18 maple plies with inner and outer ply of walnut. They also do a triple flanged hoop model in a few different sizes.

Obviously not as nice as a Craviatto or Noble & Cooley, but doesn't come with the hefty price tag either. I got to play around with one for about 15 minutes. It sounded fantastic, even with the stock heads. I don't like deep snares, but this one had me changing my mind. Woody and Throaty!

Also, I have to give a shout out to my buddy Rob at Holloman Custom Drums. It's a father and son operation and the build quality and construction quality is absolutely outstanding. Their drums sound fantastic and look gorgeous! They would be happy to do a walnut for you in any size/depth you would like.

http://www.hollomancustomdrums.com/index.html

Enjoy,

V

Attachments

Last edited:
If its a 100% handmade solid-shell american black walnut snare you're looking for, make sure you check out Hovland Drums. Kirk Hovland hand-carves his shells from the tress in his own ranch! They have 3/4th inch shell thickness with 55deg bearing edges, snares usually come with die-casts or s-hoops and trick throw-off as standard. Had mine for about 2-years, I take it everywhere with me and it performs incredibly well on sessions and shows of all styles.

http://hovlanddrums.com

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
If its a 100% handmade solid-shell american black walnut snare you're looking for, make sure you check out Hovland Drums. Kirk Hovland hand-carves his shells from the tress in his own ranch! They have 3/4th inch shell thickness with 55deg bearing edges, snares usually come with die-casts or s-hoops and trick throw-off as standard. Had mine for about 2-years, I take it everywhere with me and it performs incredibly well on sessions and shows of all styles.

Those are beautiful. I’ve got a walnut hollow log set on order from Antonio Drums. I wish Hovland would do whole kits. I’d rather have a kit made in this country, just because international shipping is sometimes a pain.

Those are beautiful. I’ve got a walnut hollow log set on order from Antonio Drums. I wish Hovland would do whole kits. I’d rather have a kit made in this country, just because international shipping is sometimes a pain.
I know Kirk is now making blanks for his lathe for full kits, although I'm not sure when the aim to have full kits in production will be. Worth keeping an eye out! Obviously to build a solid shell Black Walnut kit would be insanely time consuming and after owning one of his 14x8 snares, ridiculously heavy to transport and ship!

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I know Kirk is now making blanks for his lathe for full kits, although I'm not sure when the aim to have full kits in production will be. Worth keeping an eye out! Obviously to build a solid shell Black Walnut kit would be insanely time consuming and after owning one of his 14x8 snares, ridiculously heavy to transport and ship!
I don’t gig my hollow log ash kit out, ever. LOL It never leaves the basement practice room.

cbphoto

Gold Member

What's one of those bad boys cost?