Best sticks for metal?

Awakened2468

Hey guys I'm just wondering which sticks are the best for playing metal. I like to play thrash metal and some death metal. I'm looking for sticks thin enough to do my fills at a faster speed but durable enough for them to last more than a couple of weeks. Thanks alot.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
The sticks that feel most comfortable in your hands.

If there was one 'metal' stick to rule them all, everyone would be using it. The fact that all these different players all use different sticks, speaks volumes.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd say it's obvious. Vic Firth makes a stick model called "Metal."

Problem solved.

Seriously, though, PFOG is right; if you feel comfortable using it, it's probably the "best" for you.

Also, weight might be objective, but feel is not. A thicker stick with a longer taper might feel lighter and a thinner stick with a shorter taper the opposite. Keep in mind too that if the stick is too thin/light, you'll have a harder time pulling sound out of the kit, making you overplay to get enough volume.

Good luck with your quest for the "perfect" stick. If it were easy I probably wouldn't have so many barely played sticks lying around...

octatonic

Agree with the comments above ^^.

FWIW many rock and metal players use 5B's.
You get more rebound out of a heavier stick and more volume- or the same volume with less effort.
It doesn't necessarily follow that a lighter stick is inherently a faster stick.

If you are playing hard then a heavier stick might be the way to go, but it is a personal decision.

I use Vater Recording sticks- I've tried 5B's in the past but I always go back to the Vater Recordings- they just seem to suit me.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I like to play thrash metal and some death metal. I'm looking for sticks durable enough for them to last more than a couple of weeks.
I play a combination of thrash lounge / dad metal, & my sticks barely last two weeks ;)

Seriously, irrespective of the playing style, the absolute priority is what feels natural / comfortable to you. Let that dictate your stick choice, & make your personal style fit into the genre you're performing.

Awakened2468

yeah its just I've never really concerned myself with getting to know the ins and outs of drumming. For the past 9 nine years I've just used 5B of any brand because they were the ones that always lasted the longest and I don't really like buying sticks every couple of weeks. I guess my question is if there are suggestions as to which sticks are better. I've adapted to different stick sizes but I guess it's been long enough where I don't want to put as much effort in a particular pair as I would with another. Thanks again.

octatonic

yeah its just I've never really concerned myself with getting to know the ins and outs of drumming. For the past 9 nine years I've just used 5B of any brand because they were the ones that always lasted the longest and I don't really like buying sticks every couple of weeks. I guess my question is if there are suggestions as to which sticks are better. I've adapted to different stick sizes but I guess it's been long enough where I don't want to put as much effort in a particular pair as I would with another. Thanks again.
Maybe look into your technique.
I play hard rock, rather than metal, but sticks last me quite a while, usually a month or two.
Breaking sticks can be a sign that you are gripping too tightly.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member

If you have and play 5B's use 5B's

Whatever you use on your practice pad that feels the best is the best stick.

Going extreme like a 7A is going to give you no volume.. Going to a 2B is going to make your arms really wear out.

You'd be suprised that sometimes bigger sticks allow you to play faster blast beats as the weight helps the rebound and the volume.

I often use 5A 5B, 3A, etc for metal but those are what I play all the time.

Try a few and see what feel the best. Everyone is different.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Sometimes making very, very small adjustments helps you zero in on the stick you need. I started on 5As, then sized up to 5Bs. Then I tried the Vic Firth Extreme 5Bs (with a slightly longer length) and that made a huge difference. But I still wasn't 100% on it. Finally I discovered the Extreme 55Bs (a little thicker than a 5B but not as chunky as a 2B).

It's all trial and error. And our needs may change over the course of our playing career. I can't tell you how many years I was happy with 5As and similar sticks. Now I am happy with a much larger, longer stick.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Sometimes making very, very small adjustments helps you zero in on the stick you need. I started on 5As, then sized up to 5Bs. Then I tried the Vic Firth Extreme 5Bs (with a slightly longer length) and that made a huge difference. But I still wasn't 100% on it. Finally I discovered the Extreme 55Bs (a little thicker than a 5B but not as chunky as a 2B).

It's all trial and error. And our needs may change over the course of our playing career. I can't tell you how many years I was happy with 5As and similar sticks. Now I am happy with a much larger, longer stick.

SOOOO true. I'll play 5A's for a few weeks and be like, ok this is my stick. so light and fast. Then I'll grab 5B's and think, What was wrong with me. so much more volume. My arms don't burn out and It allows me to actualy go faster with less effort. Then in a few weeks back to 5A's.

I have been using some Vater fatback 3A's now and they are feeling great.

different generas CAN require different sticks, I wouldn't play jazz with 2B's but 7a's might be in the cards.

Personally I dislike longer sticks, and prefer a short taper.

It takes YEARS to find the perfect stick. take your time, try them all.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Metal is as wide a term as jazz these days.

Musical style matters a little bit with extremes, but in any case it's still just what works for you and your current technique.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I will throw this out there. I play heavy music, not super fast mind you, but heavy. I would look at something in the 5B family. You might also try some 2Bs. If you are doing a lot of rim shots, the thinner sticks will fade more quickly. 5Bs still have enough mass to pull great sounds out of drums and cymbals. Anything thinner than that for me feels very tiny in my hands and awkward to hold on to. I have used the hilarious Vic Firth Metal. I like it, but it is not what I would consider a fast articulate stick. For one, it is loooooong for a drumstick. I have gotten used to it and few other sticks sound and feel as good hitting the snare with an authoritative rim shot. But you wont see many playing trash or death metal blast beats with such a beast of a stick.

I have also used a few 2Bs that are a bit shorter and I feel are a bit more articulate when it comes to getting around the set. Of course this is fairly subjective. Someone who plays much lighter sticks might pick up a pair of 2Bs or 5Bs and feel like they are trying to play drums with a couple of large fish.

There are a few things that kill stick longevity. Are you playing lots of rim shots? How are your cymbals angled? How are you striking them? Blah, blah, blah. I would say that Vater sticks seem to put up with rim shots a bit better than my average Vic Firth. Their sticks seem to be made with better stock than, for comparison, Vic Firth. When I use VF, it is wood chip city. But I like how they feel at the start. The Vater don't seems to fall apart as fast. That being said, stay away from Vater nylon tips. I had two of their nylon tips come completely off within a couple of weeks of eachother. In my experience their nylons are garbage. Maybe try some wood tip Vater 5Bs. They also make power 5Bs.

Go somewhere that has a good selection of sticks and try a few out. Find one that seems like a good balance for what you are looking for and take it home and give it a few days to make an impression. What do you like about it? What do you not like about it. Then you have something to work with. You can go back and use that for a baseline and find a stick that is more tapered, or weight forward, or thicker, or thinner, longer, shorter and so on. Like, Goldilocks.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Good one! I'm just going to put it out there that I like two songs on that album... Please don't hurt me.
No need to for me to do anything. I can just sit back while you listen to the snare sound on that album and eventually, you'll start stabbing yourself in the ears with your car keys.