Best starter E-Kit for working with a DAW that has the closest feel to drums.

jimmyt905

Just wondering what the best budget E-kit to get is for around £500 - £800 that would work with recording onto computer that has the closest feel to drums?

I don't mind looking at older models if they are cheaper. I realize I need to get a practice kit in the house for practicing covers etc. Jamming can only take someone so far.

I would really appreciate any recommendations. It doesn't have to be loads of pads or kits with all the bells and whistles - but I would be after an e-kit with a nice 'feel' similar to a real drum if that's possible.

Thanks in advance.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Maybe an acoustic drum kit with mesh heads and triggers.

I don't think the electronic drum kits in that price range are going to play like acoustic drums.

trickg

Silver Member
There's no such beast - starter e-kits are pretty limited for how they feel when being played, as well as their limitations for capturing any kind of nuance of the player, although I suppose that if you are using it to trigger samples in a DAW, it probably wouldn't matter that much.

Look into Alesis.

jimmyt905

Thanks for the recommendations guys - I might go for a second hand Roland D9 if I can get it. They're pretty hard to find.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Just wondering what the best budget E-kit to get is for around £500 - £800 that would work with recording onto computer that has the closest feel to drums?
What you are after... A mesh-head MIDI kit wit a real BD pedal and real HH pedal.... One with a dumb brain that will let your PC do the heavy lifting. One in the $500 range.... This mythical beast does not seem to exist as a retail package.

I spent a year searching for it and ended up spending over $1000 for a DTX-532.

electrodrummer

This is totally subjective - and down to you - and only you to play some things and decide what "closest" to you.

"the closest feel to drums? " If you mean closest feel to mylar, then mylar!

[subjective opinion]

Next "closest" is Yamaha's silicone (mentioned above, the DTXxxx range).

(Mesh? Mesh is bouncy and often suffers from hotspots. Urgh)

If you're in the UK with that budget, buy this:

or this:

Sorted.

:)

ps. edrums are "real" drums ;)

Nick74

If you consider realtime software drumming budget E-kits like Medeli (Alesis) fail because of high midi latency. ;) You won't get a whole latency smaller than 10-12 ms even when connected to the fastest computer stuff (with most common audio interfaces it will be about 15 ms). In other words quite a NoGo.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Ok thanks Nick. I really want something I can work with my DAW on the computer.
With my DTX, the USB->MIDI latency is in the teens, and it's workable. It doesn't seem to cause any misaligned-hits at the tempo's I'm working with.

What does cause me issues is jitter. When you have 8 backing tracks playing with multiple effects, resources become contentious. The scheduler will often prioritize something over the USB/MIDI driver, which causes inturrupts/hiccups. Brief bursts of notes that are out of place.

The simplest workaround is to close unessential apps and mute extraneous tracks while recording. Another workaround would be to get a beefier iMac that can gracefully cope with the load. The "right" workaround would be for Apple to allow us to manually assign the priority/affinity of the MIDI device and its bus.

electrodrummer

Ok thanks Nick. I really want something I can work with my DAW on the computer.
Anything will work with your DAW. A DAW is just recording software and will record what you send it from anything,

This is how been doing it for decades:

1. Module --> MIDI --> DAW/Sequencer/whatever the cool kids are calling it these days. I use Cakewalk.

2. Split MIDI to individual tracks in DAW if you want individual control of all drums / cymbals - usually a click in your software

3. Tidy up MIDI as necessary, remove duff notes, etc

4. Send MIDI back to module[*], whilst recording the audio from the module[*] - this can be done track-by-track, or the whole lot at once, depending on the number of audio tracks you want - every instrument, just a stereo mixdown, or anything in between.

[*] or to your chosen software synth/VST/whatever the cool kids etc...

So, now you've got both audio and MIDI. This is most flexible, meaning you can adjust anything in future. Change tempo or instruments or sounds/entire kit, just re-do [4]

electrodrummer

I'm talking of realtime software drumming. This is a big difference compared to recording ;).
Indeed, but the OP said "I really want something I can work with my DAW on the computer."

DAWs aren't software synths. They can "host" a software synth (like a VST), but DAWs do not make not sounds natively - they record stuff and play it back. Conversely, it's possible to run a software synth without a DAW.

So, anything will work with a DAW it's just a glorified tape recorder :)

Been recording edrums into a "DAW" for many, many years.

thebarak

The DAW could be enough to start with. For example if you have a Mac, then the standard drum set sounds included free in Garageband are good enough for your MIDI kit or pad set to trigger well. Of course if you spend and get drum VST software, you will have nicer sounds.

The key to getting the most out of something, or almost nothing, is the responsiveness of your input pad. The more expensive pads, or AtoE conversions will respond better to quiet strokes, closed rolls etc than the very cheap eKits. The best input pad I ever used was the Yamaha DTX foam kind.

jimmyt905

Hah, thanks folks. Just sold my electric guitar. I had previously sold my old drum kit, now I'm saving up a few more quid so I can get the e-kit. While I love listening the guitar, grew to hate learning how to play it. I much prefer drums and I was in danger of spreading my skills too thinly (skills, all I could play was a single key blues scale on the guitar).

electrodrummer

OK - come back when you've got some savings if you need any more help. It'll depend on what, empirically, you wanna spend. So, tell us then on your return and I/we can give specific UK suggestions. See ya later.