Best Speaker(s) for Electronic Drum Kit

Beefsock

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a speaker for my drum kit. It is a small kit that I use in a condo. I live on the top floor and am looking for a smallish speaker that will sound great.

I currently just use a little portable speaker and I want something louder and much more clear. I want to be able to hear the music without hearing the thumping of the sticks on the non-mesh heads I have.

The floors are thick and I don't have neighbours on either side of me either, so noise isn't too much of a concern, although I won't be blasting my musical talents throughout the building..

Any good suggestions?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Yeah. You'd have to spend a lot on a sound system(PA to compete a reasonably good $2-400 pair of headphones. You also have to turn it up insanely loud if you don't want to hear any attack at all.

If you can make all the sound you want, why not get an acoustic kit? You get a ton more for your money and they'll never get outdated.

electrodrummer

Nice pair of Sennheiser HD205 is all you need 30-50 of your local currency.

** acoustic kits are outdated, and so last millennium ;)

cerendrad

I bought a keyboard amp from a company called Yorkville. It's not bad at reproducing highs and lows. It's nice to hear the kit without headphones sometimes.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a speaker for my drum kit. It is a small kit that I use in a condo. I live on the top floor and am looking for a smallish speaker that will sound great.

I currently just use a little portable speaker and I want something louder and much more clear. I want to be able to hear the music without hearing the thumping of the sticks on the non-mesh heads I have.

The floors are thick and I don't have neighbours on either side of me either, so noise isn't too much of a concern, although I won't be blasting my musical talents throughout the building..

Any good suggestions?
As others mentioned, decent headphones will go a long way. I use Audio Technica ATH-40's which are good and reasonably priced. The ATH-50's are the go to that many people recommend, but here in Canada they are pricey. For playing louder I picked up a couple Mackie Thump 15 powered monitors and a super cheap little mixer, but my band use them as our main speakers now, so I haven't had them at home for two years..
If you wander down to Long and McQuade (I see you are in Toronto) Yorkville now have a dedicated powered drum amp, which sounds pretty decent, and would do what you want. But it's around 500 from what I recall. Or a keyboard amp with a decent sized speaker also works. I used to have a Peavey, but headphones sounded so much better, I sold it off.
Some good headphones are are probably best. Add a throne thumper later and you'll love it.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
The advantage that keyboard amps and drum monitors have is the controls are accessible from the front. I use a Roland PM-10 as a vocal/monitor wedge for gigs. It's loud enough at a distance of 1 metre, and I can reach down and tweak the levels and tone while I'm playing. Handy.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
OK, first off I have owned several Ekits, use triggers, have BFD3,Addictive, Slate, and own a PA and multiple sets of IEM's and studio monitors. With that said listen to whoever you want on here as it IS the internet. haha

Now, if you DID use the search you would find this is a common question also. So in the future I highly recommend trying that.

a PA system is absolutely the wrong thing for this situation. I have a PA system in my basement for band jams and the ekit sounds terrible in it. It's also very loud. A smaller powered speaker may be ok but your still going to pay a few hundred for anything decent. and if you get one with a 15 and a horn it's going to be harsh and thuddy. Not what you are looking for at lower volumes.

Next, Computer speakers are not a great idea. Most are meant for gaming, have hyped highs and lows (i'd prefer to eq myself) and are lower quality as gamers are not usually audiophiles/engineers.

The first of the two correct options would be headphones. I'm not talking the vic firth cans for $80... They work, and isolate well, but they are tinny and lack any real low end. The ekits produce ALOT of low end. After buying my ultimate ears UE5's I can't believe how much low end and how much better they sound with something that handles it. They went from sounding like a crappy ekit, to almost an acousitc set. The kick and toms are much more clear as well. Most headphones you end up turning up because they can't handle the low end and sound quiet. So your turning the mids/highs up and the low end it can't handle making them sound like garbage. Try about 20 pairs of earbuds, cans, whatever you have and see how different it will sound.

I have also tryied those little Roland speaker setups and they sound like crap to me too

Now... What it sounds like you want (which is what I often use) is to play to music, or play drums, WITHOUT headphones, have it sound good and not have to crank it. Two words for that. STUDIO MONITORS. I have a set of Rokit 5's and another set of Rokit 8's, as well as the sub.

The 8's are almost the perfect match for the ekit at louder volumes, the 5's were good too but lacking a bit of volume if I really wanted to giver. The sound is full, punchy, and they can handle the low end. Adding in the 10 inch sub REALLY brought everything to life but that could be an investment down the road. If you are not getting the sub I would recommend the 8's even more. Studio monitors are meant to sound honest, flat, and reproduce the sounds that are made as good as they can. They also have a wider range and decent low end. The Rokits are hyped a little bit, but that is actually pretty nice for the ekit. I would toss my PA in the garbage before going back to it with my ekits and use these. I could jam with guitar players with the 8's and sub they go so loud.

You can go with other brands, and also shop used. 2 studio monitors doesn't cost a ton of money, maybe get some stands too. The closer to your ears they are the less you have to turn em up. They are also very directional.

I was on this journey for a few years and haven't looked for a different option in a LONG time nor will I start.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Has anyone tried one of the new 'stick' PA's with the small sub at the bottom and a row of tiny top speakers on a tall stick. Originally Bose made one, now every speaker company seems to make few versions. I heard one at a jazz gig recently - filled the room amazingly.

Or the Yamaha Stagepas type of thing, with the mixer in one small speaker and a second speaker for stereo. You could arrange on the floor as stereo wedges, and the mixer would make it easy to play clicks, backing tracks, foldback, etc.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm a big fan of killing two birds with one stone. If you intend on playing in a band, or recording at home, some of the suggestions in this thread achieve that dual-purpose benefit (Studio monitors, Small PA, Near-field wedge).

The other thing I tried was a crappy AIW 5.1 stereo system. Kind of neat in an immersive way. Made practice interesting. If your e-kit is going to be a fixture in a dedicated music room, consider this option as well.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I was wondering about using a powered monitor as a speaker for myE kit. Guess they won't work very good then. Right now I just use my stereo system at home. I'm using Peavey main cabinets with a 15 and some type of horn. They are SP 5 ti speakers. They sound good but are not very portable. So I was wondering about a small monitor which it was powered I could use it as my personal monitor when I take this kit out to low volume gigs. Other than that I don't really use the kit

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I was wondering about using a powered monitor as a speaker for myE kit. Guess they won't work very good then. Right now I just use my stereo system at home. I'm using Peavey main cabinets with a 15 and some type of horn. They are SP 5 ti speakers. They sound good but are not very portable. So I was wondering about a small monitor which it was powered I could use it as my personal monitor when I take this kit out to low volume gigs. Other than that I don't really use the kit
Not sure of your budget, ElectroVoice ELX and ZLX series are powered. They are also pretty lightweight, have polypropylene cabinets, and not rediculously expensive. EVs can be finicky though. Each model, even within the same series, has it's own specific internals.

If you have a power supply, Yamaha Club series are an affordable option, and are incredibly stable. They almost never fail. They are a bit heavier than the EVs, as they have wood cabinets. The CM/SM10 being the exception. The cabinet is still wood, but the horn assembly is smaller and significantly lighter than the horns in the 12 and 15s.

I won't get into Peavey. They make my head hurt.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Not sure of your budget, ElectroVoice ELX and ZLX series are powered. They are also pretty lightweight, have polypropylene cabinets, and not rediculously expensive. EVs can be finicky though. Each model, even within the same series, has it's own specific internals.

If you have a power supply, Yamaha Club series are an affordable option, and are incredibly stable. They almost never fail. They are a bit heavier than the EVs, as they have wood cabinets. The CM/SM10 being the exception. The cabinet is still wood, but the horn assembly is smaller and significantly lighter than the horns in the 12 and 15s.

I won't get into Peavey. They make my head hurt.
Thanks. I'm just wondering if I see something on craigs list in my area like a powered monitor, if it would work worth a darn. I don't think I would need anything else, just a powered speaker. The drum module has eq to shape the sounds. So it seems to me if I get a monitor that can handle the lows of a kick and the highs of cyms. then it should work. As far as a budget goes, I don't want to spend a lot because I very rarely use this kit. So I if I something cheep on the used market I might buy it. I'm sure a keyboard amp or a drum amp would work, but they don't come up for sale often. So that makes 3 things that could work I can be on the lookout for.

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
I've been using the KAT HD400 when I jam in my backyard and its been great. I've also been able to run the KAT and monitor myself using IEMs without issue. I've used it once in a while in my office (see picture) but in the office I prefer IEMs going through an external thunderbolt 3 audio interface. Also in the picture you don't see the two satellite speakers in the back but they are there and they do the trick.

Strike Pro Kit with KAT HD400

lefty2

Platinum Member
That Kat amp looks kind of big. I'm hoping I can find something small. I seen Roland has one that looks like it's something from Bose. And there's 30 and 50 watt amps with 10 inch speakers. I can probably go to my local Guitar Center and try those out if I like them I can buy one used

Intruder

50 watts is nothing for a drum amp.
I would look for something over 100 - 200 just for starters.
You might try a PA speaker used or a Simmons DA200s.
It's not the same as amplifying a guitar.

lefty2

Platinum Member
50 watts is nothing for a drum amp.
I would look for something over 100 - 200 just for starters.
I thought 50 might be plenty 4 use as a monitor for low-volume gigs once or twice a year. I know that my home stereo that I'm using in my little practice room is plenty loud. I don't know how many watts it is but I don't think it's very many. I better check them out in person at a store so I know for sure.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
30 - 50 Watts is plenty for private practice at home.

Once you add a live band with guitar amps, then you need a lot more. As I said earlier, my PM-10 is loud enough for me to hear myself at gigs. But not enough to fill a venue and reach an audience.