Best Sounding Snare Drum Head For Jazz Style

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Todd, the Skyntones are nice and really the best calf substitute, but ever since I put real calf on those Slingerlands, everything else sounds like plastic.
Those Radio Kings are 20", 13" & 16" with an "Artist" snare (same shell, but a simple (working!) strainer. It sounds amazing.
Brooks Tegler, the Slingerland guru estimated they were built in 1945, right after they could use metal again.
That 20" bass drum is amazing, I didn't even know they built such small drums back then.
You have to play it next time.when you're here.
OK, I'll have to try a Skyntone on my Eames drum. What brand are you using for the calf?

Great drums there! I never heard of a 20 from the 40s either. That's a real score.

Looking forward to coming back, man-- after this national debacle-- I think Americans are allowed to travel to a total of ~ four countries right now, hahaha.

Griener

Thanks for the recommendation - I've only seen these online before. Did you get to play both variants (calf and goat skin) and is there a noticeable difference?
And of course these drums look pretty alright for being nearly 80 years old!
I get the calf heads from a dealer/workshop for classical percussion who has his workshop around the corner from my house here in Berlin.
So far I've only tried the white calf heads from Litik, but since they're very much a one-man-company, just mail him through his website.
Stephen Eelhart
www.litik.biz
They're based in the Netherlands as far as I know.
Before I found Litik heads I had Rob Cook send me some pre-tucked heads over from the US.
But that was years ago; I'm nor sure he still sells them.
Those were good heads as well.

Griener

OK, I'll have to try a Skyntone on my Eames drum. What brand are you using for the calf?

Great drums there! I never heard of a 20 from the 40s either. That's a real score.

Looking forward to coming back, man-- after this national debacle-- I think Americans are allowed to travel to a total of ~ four countries right now, hahaha.
Hi, Todd
See my answer above for the calf drum heads.
Let's hope this whole mess doesn't last much longer, but I'm not very confident about that.
But maybe November brings a turn for the better.....
Hope you're holding up under these strange circumstances.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Best sounding snare head for any and all styles is a Remo Ambassador. You can always stick all that nasty stuff all over it to make it sound like all those other life sucking heads. That said, if you're an over head, bat swinging, cave man looking, rock guy, get an Emp.