Best Snare Heads

RaxCity

Hey guys, I was wondering what you think the best sounding snare heads are.

I have used remo coated ambassadors, as well as powerstroke p3 heads, but I would like to hear what other heads there are that sound good, especially from other brands.

You timed this topic impeccably, Sir!

Was just chatting about drum heads on another thread with a couple of members!

There is no such thing as a "best sounding drumhead". There are far to many heads and far to many types of music and far far far to many different people with different opinions about this subject. What there is though is your own ear and likes and dislikes.

There are also videos on youtube. The most notable one for me, since I use Evans heads is the Drumeo video that runs through literally every single snare head available on the same drum with the exact same tuning. That should give you a great idea of differences in single ply/double ply/control rings/ etc...

Peace, Defender

The best snare head is the one that is on the snare that I happen to be playing. It is my job to make the snare sound great by using both my tuning ability, and my playing ability.

I like that a lot, Bob.

Playing and tuning to make the drum sound good to your ears.

There is no such thing as a "best sounding drumhead". There are far to many heads and far to many types of music and far far far to many different people with different opinions about this subject. What there is though is your own ear and likes and dislikes.

There are also videos on youtube. The most notable one for me, since I use Evans heads is the Drumeo video that runs through literally every single snare head available on the same drum with the exact same tuning. That should give you a great idea of differences in single ply/double ply/control rings/ etc...

Peace, Defender
Thanks Defender, I'll definitely check that video out and see what sounds the best to my ears

For many folks, Ambassadors or G1s are the go-to choice, and for good reason. They're a snappy, responsive head.

I personally am a big fan of the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. Remo's CS coated is similar and also sounds very nice.

I choose a snare head for its durability, the coating when playing with brushes, and the thickness for the sound. The quality of the heads has changed over the years and I now prefer a company other than REMO just because of their sloppiness.

Single ply coated, it's the choice for snare. Remo Ambassador, PS3, or CS reverse dot. You could go for Evans or Aquarian, but they're just too quirky for me. As far as the durability of the coating on Remo, I have absolutely zero problems with them. Makes me wonder what the people that complain are doing to them. Burying the tip at 45 or greater? How do you beat the coating off? I'm looking at two of my snares right now, one head is 8 mos. old, the other over a year. Neither has any coating coming off, and I hit hard.

Peace, Defender

Thanks for that video link! Just checked it out and really liked the sound of the Evans hydraulic blue and black heads. Going to order one of each as that muted tone is what I tend to like. Generally, I doctor the head to get to that point.

The reality is that a whole lotta heads can sound great - when tuned well.

The rest is about durability, look, and whatever else floats your boat.

I've made the rounds with the different manufacturers. These days, I'm particularly fond of Aquarian heads. Nice price, great sound, easy to get them the way I want them. I really like the Studio X heads with the tone rings.

Many many choices. It is a great deal about tuning as has been mentioned. Have come back to Remo - coated Ambassadors, Emperors, and Vintage Emperors of late. Enjoy the Evans G1 and G2 coated, and EC Reverse Dot on some snares.

I like my metal snares to keep their metal shell character, so I tend to prefer a basic 10-mil coated head, often with a reverse dot.

For wood snares, I prefer a dryer, woodier tone, so I'll usually use a two-ply there.

Right now my brass snare has a Texture Coated Reverse Dot, my steel snare has a Modern Vintage Medium, and my maple has a Deep Vintage.

I've played all of the major brands, and right now, for me, Aquarian has the best combo of great tone, nice feel, and incredible durability.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input, I'll definitely consider all of your recommendations when I make my next purchase!

In terms of snare side heads, would you guys recommend snare side ambassadors or emperors, or whatever the evans equivalents are? What are the pros and cons of each one? Cheers.

Evans Hazy 300 reso head with a Genera Dry batter head. If you want snap and loud.

Back