best snare drum upgrade

decadeA

what would be the best snare drum to upgrade to from my pearl export snare? Are the sensitone series any good? Or should I consider a different brand?

decadeA

New heads. If you don't care for how it sounds, start there.
I have went through a few heads, I have been playing for 7 years at least but I have been playing on electric drums until 2 years ago. Now I have Remo ambassadors on all batter and reso heads on all my drums, apart from my 14” floor tom, which is an emperor and ambassador.

IBitePrettyHard

First, what's your budget?

Do you specifically want a wood or metal snare, or does it not matter?

Are you looking for any sound in particular, or just a good all-around snare?

makinao

Silver Member
I posted this on your other thread. I will add a Mapex Armory. All are 14" x 6.5", have 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops, 10 lugs, under 300 Euros, and are keepers.

There are other metals like aluminium and brass that have different characteristic sounds, but are considerably more expensive than steel. Each company has their own versions.

Last edited:

mrmike

Silver Member
Just get a Ludwig Supra aluminum or brass Black Beauty and be done with it. It's really what all other metal drums are compared to anyway. Having said that a 6.5x14 beaded brass Pearl Sensitone is a pretty good knock off of a black beauty.

Old Dog new Cans

Just get a Ludwig Supra aluminum or brass Black Beauty and be done with it. It's really what all other metal drums are compared to anyway. Having said that a 6.5x14 beaded brass Pearl Sensitone is a pretty good knock off of a black beauty.
I think it would depend on his budget. These aren't exactly inexpensive. You can find them nice used. The 2 he mentioned above are in the $200 range I think?

incrementalg

Gold Member
The two snares you mentioned aren’t really above the export snare you asked about selling in another thread. I wouldn’t go through the effort to move to a similar snare. Save up for a used Supraphonic, Pearl Sensitone or something along those lines.

decadeA

The two snares you mentioned aren’t really above the export snare you asked about selling in another thread. I wouldn’t go through the effort to move to a similar snare. Save up for a used Supraphonic, Pearl Sensitone or something along those lines.
the export is $90.

incrementalg

Gold Member
the export is $90.
I wasn’t thinking in terms of price but of materials and sound. It’s like switching an apple for an apple. The modern utility snare is probably a little better but I wouldn’t expect a big difference.

How long have you been playing? What would your ideal snare sound like? What’s your budget?

mrmike

Silver Member
If your budget is $200 I would look at a used Black Beauty knock off like the Pork Pie BOB or Ludwig Black Magic. I would also consider a Ludwig Acrolite. The Sensitone line is a step up if you can find a good deal.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
What exactly are you trying to get your snare to sound like? What kind of music are you playing? You keep posting all these snare questions, but haven't defined your goals.

I still say heads and tuning. I have a Midtown snare, it's essentially the same but a 5x13. I can get it to sound just like I need it to, be it low, medium, or high tunings. It has a PS3 batter and Diplomat reso. It's plenty sensitive, has tons of crack, and a nice ring at high tunings. The reso is tuned pretty tight, the batter slightly less. The wires are loose enough to still buzz at the edge, but tight enough not to rattle like a 73 Pinto.

Not trying to be rude, but I don't think it's the snare.