Best Single Pedal?

Electrified01

Alright. So. (Don't kill me here)

I recently got a Sound Percussion Double Bass Pedal and I *attempted* to play at it for a while and double pedal just doesn't seem to click with me. It really bothers me when I play with both feet and I know it takes lots of practice and such to get it down, but it just doesn't feel the same as playing a single pedal.

I got tired of trying double bass for now (might later in the future) and have taken the beater off the left pedal and left it there to practice timing with my left foot for now. Still gotta work on my right foot technique. :)

But anyways...

You guys have any idea of what a really good, budget-minded single pedal would be? I have my eyes on a DW 7000PT Single Bass Pedal and fell in love since I tried it...But I want your guys opinion on a pedal that is light, balanced, dual-chain, durable, and doesn't break the bank.

Thanks ! :)

the best way is to go to Drum/Music store
and try every pedal you can....just because
Joe likes a Tama or Pearl Doesn't mean it's Right for you...
go try & test...other wise you will buy something that you will regret
& later sell it on ebay...

BTW - I own a DW 5000 and it's Not my favorite
I like my Camco single & my tama cobra jr.s better :)

I like my Taye XP-1. It has too many modes of adjustment. Best of show at the 2008 NAMM show.

Ditto here: I got a DW 5000 because I heard "they were the best." Bought this pedal years ago. I actually like my double-chain drive Iron Cobra a lot better: feels more responsive with less hassle. Plus, it is way more affordable than the famed pedals.

I haven't tried the new Pearl pedal, which is supposed to be nectar from the gods, but I have tried the Trick Big Foot and Axis pedals, and both of those felt pretty good. I know a lot of double bass metal drummers apparently like the Axis pedals quite a bit.

Hmmmm... I was thinking about the Iron Cobra single pedal a while back, but the price kind of set me off. I think I might head down to my local music store and try it out. It seems like it would be worth it.

The Taye XP-1, although really nice, I can't find it anywhere in a store. Same goes for the Yamaha Flying Dragon. I'm a "try before you buy" kind of guy.

But thanks for the suggestions!

Are there anymore single pedals you guys think are pretty good for a budget drummer? :)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,036
You can't go wrong with an Iron Cobra. You can find them for a good price new and used.
It is still best to try pedals for yourself! You may find a less expensive one that you like better.
There is so much crap talk going around about pedals these days that its hard to see the forrest through the trees!
I can't believe the marketing gimmicks that manufactures are using to sell pedals that cost way to much! Pedals sales are a big cash flow for these companies at the moment.

The Iron Cobra seems promising though. I like the numerous adjustment abilities it has for its price. But I'll go try out various different pedals and see what I like.

Thanks guys. :)

Here is an example of how a cheep pedal can work well. This pedal came with my Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit. I bent the beater forward a slight bit because it has no adjustment and I play this pedal all the time. I love this cheap, lightweight pedal. It plays almost as well as my Cobra.

Attachments

• 0825091351.jpg
    0825091351.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 1,172
Hmmmm... A cheap lightweight pedal indeed. I have used a few pedals, all lower end though. I've used the SP Single pedal which makes too much noise and doesn't give enough attack for my purposes. I also have used a PDP SP400 w/o the cam (I got it from a friend for $20) which worked perfectly fine except the angle of the beater smacked my foot every time (think of DW's beaters except the felt is a slightly softer rubber) I'm using my SP Double bass pedal as a single at the moment, which works fine although I can never find the right adjustment.

Tama has been a favorite hardware co. since I started. I still have my Camco pedal from 1983. It works great & is pretty cheap ( craigslist or ebay). A lot of the other manufactures based their chain-drive single pedal on this model. I also own the very solid built Yamaha chain drive pedal shown here...http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qu.../FP-9310-20c9ec6b095363c81a756315a563bed5.jpg

I have the same pedal, except with a baseplate. Been kickin' it since 1991 with no problems. It's now my spare as I've bought an Iron Cobra ['cause it's a bit sturdier, but the action feels the same] and I don't wanna break it 'cause I'm sure parts are impossible to find.

I've been playing a DW9000 single pedal for several years and I love it. I also have a Gibralter Intruder II single pedal that I use for practicing and it is a very good and inexpensive pedal, IMO. The 9000 IS expensive IF you buy it new but you can find good used ones on Ebay from time to time (and your local Craig's List is another place to find a bargain).

Alright. So. (Don't kill me here)

You guys have any idea of what a really good, budget-minded single pedal would be? I have my eyes on a DW 7000PT Single Bass Pedal and fell in love since I tried it...But I want your guys opinion on a pedal that is light, balanced, dual-chain, durable, and doesn't break the bank.

Thanks ! :)

Well, you just named a pedal that fits your criteria. I personally loathe the action of the 7000 (my buddy left his at my studio for when he comes over to jam on my kit). Hey, if you personally love it, get it! You don't need anyone's approval!! The best pedal is the one that works for you.

As you may imagine - we have discussed this before.

If you go to Google and search ... site:drummerworld.com, best single pedal

You get 1100 hits.

Happy reading
Davo

Go with your gut on this one. If the DW7000 feels the best, then grab it.

I'd personally recommend trying the Pearl Eliminator. Not the new demon drive, just the double chained single pedal. I got mine off of ebay used for about $60.

Go to your local used equipment store. Music Go Round always has legit deals. They had your DW there in dece condish for about $75.

Back