Best quick lock cymbal nuts?

Merlin5

Gold Member
Got them and they're good. I played fairly quietly on the gig where I first tried these so didn't rock my cymbals hard enough to see if they'll fly off but they feel solid enough on the threads.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I had the Tamas fly off when I tried them on my 6mm stands, but on 8s they hold strong.

Other than quick release, I like a plain flat round knurled nut. It's so much easier than a wingnut. It's about one second longer to install than a quick release but won't pop off.

I have no idea why stand companies use wingnuts.

poppies

I picked up some of these a couple months ago. They've been perfect for me.

http://www.pinch-clip.com/

I never use a top felt, and I just wanted something simple the keep the bottom felt from coming off during transport. It's completely unnecessary once I'm set up at the gig but I suppose it does give a nice finished look to the set up.
+1 on the PinchClips. Perfect solution, and they can be used on hi hat clutches to turn any clutch into a quick release model!

Frank

Gold Member
For locks, I use - nothing.
Just sleeve and felt. Nothing on top. No lock, no nut, no nuttin.

Blisco

Very happy. Worked perfectly with my arms. I was pulling cymbals off in a second, compared to 12.

This is one of those little things that make life easier at 2:30 in the morning.

VinnieKay

Exactly, I have the Vater's on one of my kits (not that I'm in a hurry, but the original wingnuts were lost) and while they work perfectly, they are quite ugly looking.
At this date Sept 2019, while trying to decide on which “cymbal lock/retainer/mate” was best, I came upon this site. In response to the “ugly” comment, DW makes a retainer that looks like a wing nut and appears to be the same size! I thought the Vater product was actually attractive giving the kit a finished look. To each his own I guess. But, after considering your comment, and having just spent over $400 on DW6000 Lightweight Hardware with a retro look, I think I’ll check out the DW product to keep the retro look intact!

Skrivarna

At this date Sept 2019, while trying to decide on which “cymbal lock/retainer/mate” was best, I came upon this site. In response to the “ugly” comment, DW makes a retainer that looks like a wing nut and appears to be the same size! I thought the Vater product was actually attractive giving the kit a finished look. To each his own I guess. But, after considering your comment, and having just spent over $400 on DW6000 Lightweight Hardware with a retro look, I think I’ll check out the DW product to keep the retro look intact!
Probably a good idea. I use mine on old (lightweight) flatbase Premier stands, and they just look wrong and "top heavy".
But, they work perfectly fine.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I throw all of my hardware in a hard case, so it gets banged around a lot. I always question the long-term durability of some of these. I really like the idea of these though.