Best quick lock cymbal nuts?

Merlin5

Gold Member
Got them and they're good. I played fairly quietly on the gig where I first tried these so didn't rock my cymbals hard enough to see if they'll fly off but they feel solid enough on the threads.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I had the Tamas fly off when I tried them on my 6mm stands, but on 8s they hold strong.

Other than quick release, I like a plain flat round knurled nut. It's so much easier than a wingnut. It's about one second longer to install than a quick release but won't pop off.

I have no idea why stand companies use wingnuts.

poppies

I picked up some of these a couple months ago. They've been perfect for me.

http://www.pinch-clip.com/

I never use a top felt, and I just wanted something simple the keep the bottom felt from coming off during transport. It's completely unnecessary once I'm set up at the gig but I suppose it does give a nice finished look to the set up.
+1 on the PinchClips. Perfect solution, and they can be used on hi hat clutches to turn any clutch into a quick release model!

Frank

Gold Member
For locks, I use - nothing.
Just sleeve and felt. Nothing on top. No lock, no nut, no nuttin.

Blisco

Very happy. Worked perfectly with my arms. I was pulling cymbals off in a second, compared to 12.

This is one of those little things that make life easier at 2:30 in the morning.

VinnieKay

Exactly, I have the Vater's on one of my kits (not that I'm in a hurry, but the original wingnuts were lost) and while they work perfectly, they are quite ugly looking.
At this date Sept 2019, while trying to decide on which “cymbal lock/retainer/mate” was best, I came upon this site. In response to the “ugly” comment, DW makes a retainer that looks like a wing nut and appears to be the same size! I thought the Vater product was actually attractive giving the kit a finished look. To each his own I guess. But, after considering your comment, and having just spent over $400 on DW6000 Lightweight Hardware with a retro look, I think I’ll check out the DW product to keep the retro look intact!

Skrivarna

At this date Sept 2019, while trying to decide on which “cymbal lock/retainer/mate” was best, I came upon this site. In response to the “ugly” comment, DW makes a retainer that looks like a wing nut and appears to be the same size! I thought the Vater product was actually attractive giving the kit a finished look. To each his own I guess. But, after considering your comment, and having just spent over $400 on DW6000 Lightweight Hardware with a retro look, I think I’ll check out the DW product to keep the retro look intact!
Probably a good idea. I use mine on old (lightweight) flatbase Premier stands, and they just look wrong and "top heavy".
But, they work perfectly fine.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I throw all of my hardware in a hard case, so it gets banged around a lot. I always question the long-term durability of some of these. I really like the idea of these though.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Except for china's, these are the best. No felt needed too.

I like the Dixon model too, but you need a felt:

And since I am playing DW now. In the end, I will change everything to (if they work over a longer period):

trickg

Silver Member
I had the Vater Slick Nuts and didn't really care for them for my crashes - I had them fly off one too many times.

I ended up going to Gibraltar wing nuts - they spin off and on super fast, and because of they way they are made, you can flick them, they'll loosen all the way, but they stay on the post without falling off. IMO they are just as fast as any of the quick release cymbal locks.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
A quick mention that many of us go commando and use gravity, though I can see the point with China's and odd mounting angles.

Have you attempted to go without, and what were the results?
Yes I love gravity. (great song) LOL

Stop messing around with other cymbal toppers and get these. Sold by Maxwell drums. They work great.
I have watched cymbal bashers play my drum set. No one can knock my cymbals off my stands.
Provides very quick cymbal setup and removal. I love these toppers.