Best purchases you've made for drums.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Trick Dominator Double pedal

However, my most useful purchase has been my Vic Firth drum mutes. Not only do they keep peace in the house, after constant practicing on them - doubles, rolls, 'diddles are easier to do when they are removed.

EDIT: Almost forgot the Tourna Grip Tennis wrap I use for my sticks. Keeps them from sliding and has a nice grip!

Last edited:

Skulmoski

Gold Member
When I decided to start playing the kit again (after playing hand drums for many years), I purchased a pro quality kit (Gretsch USA Custom one up/two down with Spizzichino cymbals) in order to avoid the costly upgrade spiral. Immediately I was able to enjoy my dream kit.

I am fortunate to be able to afford my "midlife opportunity." I choose Gretsch and Spizzichino rather than Porsche, Harley Davidson, Leica, Bang and Olufsen, Oyster Marine, Rolex, Mouton Rothschild, Cobalt Speedboats or any other toys that tempt us middle aged guys.

GJS

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I would have to say my Mapex Saturn Manhattan.
4 piece shell pack with snare new for just over $1000 US.

Used Istanbul Agop 18 inch traditional cymbal for $160
I love that cymbal.
Used Istanbul Sultan 21 inch Jazz ride for $140.
I also love that one.

Witterings

Silver Member
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Ex Display, never played, they took £1000 for it, I believe the retailer paid Yamaha £1400 for it.
Also a cheap Stagg 14" China, nothing comes close to the really trashy China sound it has .... gorgeous.

AndyMC

Best purchases for me were

6 piece LE saturn kit $1150 used
kickport
vintage zildjians As and Ks - various cheap
roc n soc throne
speed cobra pedal

though as far as bang for buck the kickport is hard to top, it fixed my bass drum from eh to wow.

Bonestorm

- 22" Paiste Dimensions Powerbell Ride. Most amazing ride I've ever played. I wouldn't record an album without it.

- Even though I finally just ordered their replacements, I gotta say my Axis kick pedals were a great purchase. I've owned 'em for 14 years and they're STILL in perfect working condition. The only reason I'm replacing them is because they're not the ideal pedal for me anymore (no longer playing death/black metal-type speeds, and I no longer use triggers).

- 6.5x14" Gretsch hand-hammered brass snare. Thing rules.

- Gibraltar rack. I almost take it's usefulness for granted at this point, but man, what a GREAT investment it was! There's better quality racks out there, but I have no complaints.

- 20" Paiste RUDE china and 20" 2002 Novo china. Amazing cymbals.

_Leviathan_

Switched to a DW 5000 Turbo pedal a couple months ago, and a steel Pearl Sensitone 5.5x14 snare a couple weeks ago on my drums. Huge difference in terms of sensitivity, and the ability to play intricate beats between hats, ride, snare, and bass drum effortlessly. I'm playing a lot of stuff I felt like I couldn't before. Makes me excited about the possibilities now!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
DW 5000 pedals & hi-hat stand.

Roc'n'Soc throne

My old Roland DR-5 4-track sequencer

Colaiuta Signature sticks

Realfeel drum pad and a towel

Material:
- All Chaffee and Riley stuff.
- The Unreel Drum book

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Yamaha 600 hardware. Single-braced, lightweight, yet sturdy as double-braced stands.
I'll second that. I've been gradually replacing my aging hardware with the cheapest Yamaha stuff. I'm particularly digging the bass drum pedal.

Probably the best gear choices I've made were going to an 18" bass drum (from a 20"), and switching to thin Bosphorus Turks when my main gig involved playing quietly in a bad-sounding room. Those each cost some money, but had a big impact.

bigiainw

Gold Member
BNIB 14x 5.5 Mapex Black Panther steel snare- £87

20" K Custom Ride and 10" A splash- £101 inc shipping from the US.

Gotta love ebay!

marko138

Silver Member
The absolute best purchase I ever made was my Roc N Soc Nitro throne. Only regret is that I waited so long to buy it.

Right up there is my Tama Artwood maple that I paid 98 bucks for and my 6 piece Starclassic birch that I paid 500 bucks for.

bonzolead

Platinum Member
The absolute best purchase I ever made was my Roc N Soc Nitro throne. Only regret is that I waited so long to buy it.

Right up there is my Tama Artwood maple that I paid 98 bucks for and my 6 piece Starclassic birch that I paid 500 bucks for.
I agree with you on the Roc-N-Soc i purchased one after playing on a 71' Rogers throne for 30+ years between that & my Zildjian "Crash of Doom"..I love that cymbal..lol

The Roc-N-Soc actually gave me more stamina I didn't. get tired as quick.....really..lol

Bonzolead

MaryO

Platinum Member
All my beloved Paistes.
As a new drummer and someone who just recently set herself up with all Paistes on her kit, I can't agree more. Love the sound. And I'm buying at the lower end...cant imagine how the high end Paistes would sound! I plan to find out one day though.

marko138

Silver Member
I agree with you on the Roc-N-Soc i purchased one after playing on a 71' Rogers throne for 30+ years between that & my Zildjian "Crash of Doom"..I love that cymbal..lol

The Roc-N-Soc actually gave me more stamina I didn't. get tired as quick.....really..lol

Bonzolead
Absolutely. My back used to get pretty sore during our rehearsals...which are usually about 3 hours. Now I feel great during and after. It's really amazing what a quality throne will do.