Best piece(s) of advice you've gotten from this forum?

Ryan's "Aja" cover, transcribing those infamous fills.
Brent's "muscle memory" quips. Often over-looked but important nonetheless.
Other contributions by Odd-Arnes, Todd Bishop, Bermuda, Andy, Adam the latin jazz guy, too many to list.

....almost everything.

Honestly, not much.

It says I joined back in 2005 (I was one of the first forum members, back when I was 18) but aside from a couple posts, I didn't really post until 2015, and even then sporadically. I've only posted as much as I have in the past few months because I'm working from home because of the pandemic.

But I did get TONS of info and advice from another forum, the old MXTabs drum forums, aka musicianforums, later known as the sputnik music forums. I joined there in 2004, but after 2010 the community started dwindling and the drum community was gone circa 2014 or so, so I jumped ship over here. But I learned A LOT from over there. Very valuable info that I still have to this day.

By the time I was posting here again, I was nearly 30 and already been drumming for over 15 years, so not a whole lot more for me to learn. Just little bits here and there.

Ok, you're an exception, as there always is. But you also admitted to being more experienced. My statement was w.r.t. the less experienced.

I agree that less-experienced players shouldn't feel inferior, but the reality is they often do. Easier said than done.

I don't want to get into it with you too much CMJ. I value your contributions. Your word choice and logical reasoning has you as an English teacher or criminal attorney. Am I right? Anyway, would love to hear you play sometime!

Ha! I'm a former English teacher. I'm still recovering from the bombardment. Educators are up against it these days.

Again, I agree with your statements overall. I was just attempting to discourage feelings of inferiority.

Best pieces of advice I’ve gotten here? Hard to say. If I had to pick one member who’s posts I’ve gotten the most practical knowledge from? Larryace. The one member who consistently cracks me up the most and who’s posts I gravitate towards? Odd Arne. So many great regulars here, like Andy, CM Jones, Bo Eder, Bermuda, Rick P; best drum forum, no question in my mind. Almost a crime to access this place for free. So many smart folks sharing knowledge, experience, and stories here; what a great place to spend some time when my busy schedule allows.

Last edited:
I'd say switching the mounts on my Brooklyn's from the RIMS style mounts to the sleeker lug mounting GTS system was something I would have never considered - that was all because of the forum.

Past that - It's been a while since I'd been active on here...like 2005 - 2007 were the days where I would really dig in and ask questions and I'm sure back then there was stuff daily.

I remember getting into arguments about the time signatures of songs or the X Brand vs. Y Brand in great, great granularity....or the daily "Traditional Grip Vs. Matched Grip" threads. (now having been out there playing for the past 15-20 years I feel like I can contribute more effectively when I'm not getting hurt at people's politics haha)

Those were the days.

I appreciate the vibe here now though - there's a vintage feel to it that one doesn't get on IG or wherever else.

I'm new here, but in a short time I have read many posts that are well informed and insightful, humorous too.

Renowns are quality drums, at an affordable price.

Don't buy cheap cymbals.

Overall, those two things helped me the most, but there's been lots of other good advice around here.

I picked up playing the drums again after a 20-year hiatus, and this site has been an invaluable resource for getting back in the game.

Fellow members sharing sound files, videos, and photos, as well as their own positive and negative experiences with gear have greatly influenced my purchase decisions. My entire current rig is the result of feedback from the DW fam, including my snare (LM402), shells (Gretsch Renown), cymbals (Paiste 602/Big Beat/Signature), and hardware (Yamaha Crosstown). Members have also influenced me on what NOT to buy based on their personal experience. Also, It's best to go and listen to drums and cymbals in person to see what sound YOU like.

A few other nuggets I've picked up from this forum:
* Practice your rudiments on a practice pad often. This has helped me regain my college chops more than playing my kit
* How to properly tune drums
* The nuances of different cymbal alloys, shell materials and drumheads
* You cannot soundproof a room with blankets our acoustic panels, rather you need to build a room within a room.
* Introduced me to many rudiment and practice resources
* You cannot get the same sound you hear in your favorite song with the exact same gear, as your favorite song has been mixed during post-production
* It's almost always better to buy pre-owned gear instead of new
* Countless other tips, tricks, and modifications
* Introduced me to Tommy Igoe and Hal Blaine

Most of the above might be found elsewhere online, however, the DW community consistently provides information and experience with their own entertaining twists.

I've also learned that:
* Bernhard, Bermuda, Andy, and GruntersDad do an outstanding job of keeping threads relevant and civil
* Odd-Arne Oseberg's teaching advice is priceless
* PorkPieGuy starts topical, entertaining threads
* Vintage Old School and C.M. Jones provide good content with a personal flair.
* Bo Eder is worth the price of admission, alone

A select few frequent posters come off as contrarian and insecure and enjoy taking shots at other drummers.
I must ask if this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Last edited:
I honestly and sincerely have to thank @TK-421 for his Gretsch advice. Thank You Sir!

He helped me build my 4160 from the shell. Keeping in mind it was open to public, he stayed with me and I’m certainly grateful.
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/gretsch-70s-4160-cob-snare.165282/
Here it is, and surely you will encounter his various inputs on the matter through out the forum, the dudes seriously a Gretsch aficionado.
Wow, thanks! I’m glad I was able to help, and so glad your snare project worked out. And you hit the nail on the head, I’m definitely a Gretsch aficionado! I tend to get a bit compulsive with things I like and try to learn all I can about them. Sometimes this knowledge actually comes in handy :)

Wow, thanks! I’m glad I was able to help, and so glad your snare project worked out. And you hit the nail on the head, I’m definitely a Gretsch aficionado! I tend to get a bit compulsive with things I like and try to learn all I can about them. Sometimes this knowledge actually comes in handy :)
Yessr! - if I go maple route you have convinced me on the die cast Renowns, if my Pearl bias doesn’t show ?

I cant really put a finger on anything or anyone in particular , not being on here that long. But I find that everybody's idea's , comments , suggestions whether new member or old have been insightful and at times comedic. I enjoy this ...
My hats off to the admins for running a tight ship

Here, I've learned to appreciate the gear I have and to play it as often as possible, deliberately.

To appreciate new gear, but understand that it's never a guarantee that I will progress.

To play as well as I am able, despite my gear. The gear is but a means to an end.

That my drums are technically outdated, but, they sound good so it doesn't matter. It's up to me to decide how to play them, and the music will dictate a lot of that. Or, not. ;)

And, also, that I'm not as bad as I sometimes think I am, but I always have room to improve.

Also, and, also, I don't have enough drum sticks.

Back