Best Period of Yamaha Recording Customs?

Billy Boy

Hi everyone!

I am a new member of this site. Nice to be on board!

Question regarding Recording Customs. I've read that the pre-YESS/ Early YESS period (80's-mid 90's) was the hayday for YRC's and yamaha drums in general. I heard that in the late 90's the shell's were of a poorer quality. I am just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this. Also, does anyone know when the YESS mounts were introduced? I am currently looking into a 1996 12/14/18 cherrywood YRC kit that has the yess mounts and am wondering is this is before or after they "changed".

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I am a new member of this site. Nice to be on board!

Question regarding Recording Customs. I've read that the pre-YESS/ Early YESS period (80's-mid 90's) was the hayday for YRC's and yamaha drums in general. I heard that in the late 90's the shell's were of a poorer quality. I am just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this. Also, does anyone know when the YESS mounts were introduced? I am currently looking into a 1996 12/14/18 cherrywood YRC kit that has the yess mounts and am wondering is this is before or after they "changed".

Thanks!

As far as heyday goes, Yamaha's were probably the most widely used drums in the 80's...but that doesn't mean that somehow their quality has gotten worse since then (it hasn't)..it just means there's alot more drum manufacturer's (competition/choice) nowadays...I've never heard that yamaha's drum shell were of a poorer quality in the 90's..the same company (Sakae) have been making their high end drums (made in Japan) since 1967..Sakae is really synonymous with Yamaha...they are a small manufacturer of drums (employ 40-60 people) and are truly custom/handmade drums...the YESS mounts were introduced in 93-94 timeframe...if the 96 model kit is in good shape and fairly priced, I would certainly consider it...if not consider new..RC's are as good a birch kit as you can find...as far as your "best period" comment, I personally believe it's now..I've got two acoustic yamaha's, a birch custom absolute and a maple custom absolute nouveau..I've owned many brands through the years..my Yamaha's are by far the nicest kits I've ever owned...just my 2 cents...

My info shows 93 as the introduction of YESS. I've owned 2 Recording Custom kits, over the years ... excellent drums. If you want a birch shell, this is the way to go ... my opinion, of course. The Yamaha RC's are the "oldest" series of drums out there. 35+ years, and still strong.​
As far as "change" in quality ... I never heard of such a thing ... my kit, 22, 12, 14 ... is my "beater" kit ... my gigging drums ... though I'm not afraid to take any of my kits out ... someday, I'll find a matching 16" floor. And oh ... welcome to Drummerworld ...​

Attachments

• yamaha1.jpg
    yamaha1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 13,409
  • yamaha2.jpg
    yamaha2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13,632
I've been playing RC's since 1982. All of them are great, but there have been a few differences over the years. The very early 80's drums had thinner shells and a more rounded bearing edge. On those, the edges weren't natural in color like they are now. The edges were stained the same stain as the rest of the interior shell. Those are considered the most highly sought after RC's, but you probably won't find any of those. Yamaha didn't make them that way for long. The current bearing edge and uniform shell thickness was introduced around 1986. The only other difference since then, is the YESS mount, as has been discussed.

As far as personal preferences, some believe that birch shells 'age' and take on a better tone over the years. That could be why you hear the the older drums are better. Any RC's from 1986 to present would have the same shells, so no design difference. As far as the mounts, this has been debated in varoius threads on this forum. Personally, I don't like the YESS mounts. I'd rather have the shell mounts or add RIMS mounts instead of YESS. I currently have 2 RC kits. One late 80's is pre-YESS and the other 90's had YESS. I removed the mounts on that kit and installed RIMS. I will say that the 80's kit has the sweetest sounding toms of any kit I own, Yamaha or otherwise. Here is that kit:

Attachments

• RC3.jpg
    RC3.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 21,762
  • RC1.jpg
    RC1.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 21,370
Last edited:
Im a big fan of the pre-Yess RC's.

168418_1816719777365_1221222716_2171889_5254552_n.jpg

Just the best RC sound imo.

But the quality never changed so far I know.

I purchased my 6 piece RC set around 1985 and will never, ever part with them. For the moment, since I got my Sonor Jungle, they are taking a long deserved rest in their bags after being the kit I played 99% of the time since I purchased them.

The only other set I could love as much would be a Gretsch USA Custom set which I hope to get in the near future.

with the yess mounting system, are there no holes drilled into the shell a la RIMS mounts? thanks for your responses everyone! and what beautiful kits you have! :)

also, this person who is selling this drumset i am interested in (1996 rc's cherrywood 12x8, 14x14, 18x14) is asking $1250. do you think this is a good deal?

with the yess mounting system, are there no holes drilled into the shell a la RIMS mounts? thanks for your responses everyone! and what beautiful kits you have! :)

It depends on which YESS system you're talking about...YESS I has two holes drilled in shells (at nodal point of shell)...YESS II has four holes (I believe) drilled in shell (at nodal point of shell)...

A little on the high side ... but sellers like to ask "more" than what they'll really "take" ... so​
I'd start by waving 10 Franklins in front of him ... and see how hungry he is ...​
He might bite, he might balk. Throw down "another Ben", if his first response was no. Paying $1K, or $1100, is better than handing the cat $1250 (for you) ....​

I owned a Pre-YESS Cherrywood lacquer kit 22/10/12/14 and a recent YESS Apple Sparkle fade lacquer kit 20/12/15 with aluminum diecast hoops that I purchased off an Endorser and they both were excellent quality drumsets.If I had to choose between the two sets, I would choose the Pre-YESS Cherrywood lacquer kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 9,230
Last edited:
also, this person who is selling this drumset i am interested in (1996 rc's cherrywood 12x8, 14x14, 18x14) is asking $1250. do you think this is a good deal?

I'm seeing RC kits with more pieces go for that much on Guitar Center's website under "used
gear" and also on the Music Go Round site. But if that kit has THE sizes you want, see if He'll take 8 or 900 first....your call but I'd definitely not just give him 1250 for 3 drums right away. Not in this market. I also play RC's, and pre-yess and yess do sound and feel a little different ,but both have that sweet sound and class to them.

It depends on which YESS system you're talking about...YESS I has two holes drilled in shells (at nodal point of shell)...YESS II has four holes (I believe) drilled in shell (at nodal point of shell)...

I thought I'd add my two cents to this discussion of my favorite line of drums, the Yamaha Recording Customs.

The RCs do not use the YESS II system. They still use the original YESS system. The YESS II system is used on the Maple/Birch Custom Absolute lines. The actual tom mount is bolted to a chromed metal plate that extends nearly the entire length of the shell, and attaches to the shell with three bolts (two on top and one on bottom). It is similar to the mounting plate used on the PHX drums, except that the PHX uses a wooden plate.

I own pre-YESS and YESS system RCs, and have owned several more over the years. I find both types to have a beautiful sound, though there is a slight difference between the two. I've never heard a RC I didn't like, including a "pre-RC", late '70s 9000 kit I still own. Yamaha definitely does birch right!

Len

I cannot add much more information than has already been posted, I also own a few RC's, and can confirm the black bearing edge models are thinner shell, the drums actually weigh a good 30% less than later models of the same dimension, and are super resonant. They have the serial numbers prefixed by 'RA' - I have seen many single drums for sale over the years, and given the limited choise of colours, it would be possible to peice a kit together from single purchases.

YESS does make a difference and sustain is longer ( if that is what you want ) but all RC's are Good, quality is as good as the best of anything available, including DW/SONOR etc, in fact I have sold my DW's because the RC's in my opinion were far better made than Collectors series DW's, this is just my opinion.

Click the link to see mine

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=900414&postcount=973

I cannot add much more information than has already been posted, I also own a few RC's, and can confirm the black bearing edge models are thinner shell, the drums actually weigh a good 30% less than later models of the same dimension, and are super resonant. They have the serial numbers prefixed by 'RA' - I have seen many single drums for sale over the years, and given the limited choise of colours, it would be possible to peice a kit together from single purchases.

YESS does make a difference and sustain is longer ( if that is what you want ) but all RC's are Good, quality is as good as the best of anything available, including DW/SONOR etc, in fact I have sold my DW's because the RC's in my opinion were far better made than Collectors series DW's, this is just my opinion.

Click the link to see mine

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=900414&postcount=973

Nice collection. Can't go wrong with RC's. I agree that they are some of the finest shells made.

Hey Billy Boy, if you are still interested in a RC I'm looking to sell mine at the moment.
22x16, 14x12, 12x10, 10x9, newer model, with the YESS system.

The best all around work horse kit made. They certainly do "season" as the years go on as most drums do but the YRC seemed to be more noticeable. If you'd like to know more about them by owning them go to ebay and buy mine their there in piano black lacquer with the "Tight Squeeze" logo on the kick head hahahaha!!! 14x14/9x10/16x22
The deal with the 14x18 kick is a sweet one those 18" are one of the few that you can use at any gig, they kick butt!!! Doc

Last edited:
Now that I'm thinking about it, there was a period of time that Yamaha was making drums in England, including some RC's. I actually have one of these RC's that I picked-up used. It's not the same quality as those made in Japan. But, those clearly say 'MADE IN ENGLAND' On the badge. As long as the badges say 'MADE IN JAPAN' (which is the vast majority of them, they should be the same quality. Maybe those are what the OP heard about, as far as some being inferior quality. As far as I know, the Yamaha Japan shells are actually made by Sakae Drums. Sakae is now selling drums under their own name, also: http://www.sakaedrums.com/english/index.html

The ''Made In England'' drums aren't inferior to the Japan models.

They where made by the same machines and by people (Premier) trained in the craft by the Osaka factory.

Only difference is that they used a red-ish oil instead of the black counterpart found on the Osaka made models and the badge witch states that it is made in England.

Back