Best Period of Yamaha Recording Customs?

Studioman3

I did get an email off to Jim Haler, but their response time is 24-48 hrs. not including weekends so I probably won't see a reply until Monday or Tues.
Still no reply from Jim Haler,anyone know someone else who may be able to appraise this kit?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Have you thought about setting up an ebay auction, with a reserve on the higher end, and seeing what happens? It won't be an appraisal of the drums, but it will tell you what the market believes and ultimately determines they are worth.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the value of my kit. I have had them for the last 30 years but due to health problems, i can no longer play them.
I believe them to Recording Customs from 81 or 82, the same as the set pictured in their brochure.
Man I had a nearly identical kit only in black wrap. Full set of concert toms, 22" and 24" bass drums and 14" and 16" double headed floor toms.
They were the 9000 series made in Taiwan. Recording Customs weren't available in the USA at the time I purchased my kit except for endorsees.
Wish I had ponied up to pay for the vintage wood finish instead of the wrap. If I had the wood finish I never would have let them go.

Studioman3

Thanks again Artstar, I PMd him.

Ineedaclutch, I had thought of putting them on Ebay with a buy-it-now price of $25000, not that I think would sell for that, but it would get them some visibility, but trying to ship this kit....OMG.

Vintage, I know they're not the 9000s, but here's your chance LOL it's never too late to redeem yourself!

Skrivarna

Man I had a nearly identical kit only in black wrap. Full set of concert toms, 22" and 24" bass drums and 14" and 16" double headed floor toms.
They were the 9000 series made in Taiwan. Recording Customs weren't available in the USA at the time I purchased my kit except for endorsees.
Wish I had ponied up to pay for the vintage wood finish instead of the wrap. If I had the wood finish I never would have let them go.
In the early 80's I dreamed about one of these concert toms kits in Real Wood finish, but for different reasons I couldn't buy it where I lived (in Sweden). So when I saw this kit used two years ago, I bought it immediately. (Pic from the sellers ad:)

Currently I'm playing a smaller subset of the kit (24", 10", 13" and 16"):

But I also just found an extra 15" tom in really bad shape, that I fixed up and gave a bottom head. As I already have a 15" concert tom in original condition and this extra was already modified, I figured I could just get a double-headed matching floor tom for some variety.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the pre-RC YD-9000s are some of my favorite drums out there. I regret selling mine a couple years ago, but I was trying to help fund an interstate move.