BEST PEDAL TUNING FOR LEARNING DOUBLE?

klopee

Hey guys! havent been on here in a while, miss you all!

Im going to be starting to learn double pedaling soon, I have Pearl Eliminator P-2002C double chain drive pedals and I was wondering if you could all recommend a decent tuning for my pedals, as well as which cam is best for learning.

should i do them tight so they bounce back easily, or loose so there is less resistance?

thanks!

shadowlorde

i say medium .. and see how it feels to you .. then adjust accordingly ... it's a personal comfort matter ,, experiment and figure out for yourself .. sorry to not give a more definate answer but that seriously is it .. some ppl play loose springs, some tight, some medium ... it's all in practice not pedal settings.. just find where your comfortable and practice a lot

konaboy

Pioneer Member
No one can tell you (regardless of what they think) how to tune your pedals!
It's a matter of what feels good to your feet, when you find the sweet spot you'll know ;-)

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
it's all in practice not pedal settings.. just find where your comfortable and practice a lot
This one ^^

Get your feet on them and start practising. There is no such thing as an optimal set up for a beginner, intermediate or pro. Only an optimal set up for the individual. Find where they are most comfortable for you and get to work. Tweak as neccessary as you go along.

Spreggy

Silver Member
While you're experimenting with feel, keep in mind head tuning and muffling as part of the whole combination. More muffling and looser head favors the "bury the beater", mainly toe type player, while less muffling and a tighter head favors the quick off the head, heel down style player. I mention this because someone experimenting with a double pedal will often get more toe going, and start experiencing double-bounces off the head. Loosening and muffling can help clean up double-bounces.

Last edited:

MikeM

Platinum Member
I'm a sucker for tight springs. It takes a little getting used to, but now when I play on pedals with looser springs, I tire out much quicker and can't seem to get strong pedal control. YMMV

lankyman

I'm a sucker for tight springs. It takes a little getting used to, but now when I play on pedals with looser springs, I tire out much quicker and can't seem to get strong pedal control. YMMV
Ditto. I use a DW7000 with springs wound right up and beater angle set roughly in the middle.

JT1

Silver Member
Unfortunately what everyone says on here is true, it's what is comfortable for you I'm afraid.

Me personally I have the springs as loose as they will go. It allows for ease of stroke, more power, I find it easier to play lower tempos as you aren't fighting the tension.

I used to like my tension medium-tight but I just didn't like the rebound after a while, I couldn't get my feet resting in a comfortable position and the lack of power and volume was abundantly clear especially at lower tempos.

However lots of people swear by tight springs so just try it and see what you prefer.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I used to have them as tight as they could go, but after some experimenting a couple of years ago I suddenly found that if I loosened them almost as far as they would go, I was FLYING! More power, more consistent hits and no more of that annoying beater buzz (where the beater would buzz against the head due to the tension of the springs trying to pull it back).

So yeah, definitely personal preference. I have the P-2002C myself, and like I said, I have the springs set extremely loose. I use the standard cam, and my beaters are hitting just below the centre of my 22" kick. Works for me, might not work for you.