Best music documentaries

Would apprecieate any reccomendations for good drummer or musician books to read also . Thanks
Autobiography of Miles Davis and Mel Torme's Traps - The Drum Wonder: The Life of Buddy Rich come to mind.

There's a passage where Miles is so coked up and paranoid,he parks his Ferrari in front of a skyscraper in downtown Manhattan and hides in a closet for a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Great drummer books I recommend:

Buddy Rich One of a Kind by Pelle Berglund.

Moon by Tony Fletcher.

Hellraiser: The Autobiography of the World's Greatest Drummer by Ginger Baker.

Not a Documentary, but a great movie about the life of Brian Wilson, Love and Mercy. His Dad and the Doctor his dad hired to "Take care of him" were criminal.
I remember Brian talking about how his father used to pop out his artificial eye in front of him to freak him out.

He and his wife sued the two of them for keeping him so drugged out that he just stayed in bed most days

Anyone seen the latest Zappa movie yet? I have not and am curious to know what people think of it.
Rented it last night. Haven't watched it yet. I like the Love and Mercy flick. Good movie. Revealing. When I was a young kid 5/6 yrs old, I loved Elvis and The Beach Boys. Have always been a big fan of their music.

The Kids are Alright
As Roger Dalton said, it’s essentially about the life of Keith Moon.

Does anyone wanna make one about AC/DC with me?

Apologies if this is the wrong subforum, feel free to move it to the correct one.

I was just wondering what everyone's favourite music related documentaries are? I'm heavily into emo hip hop so I've been watching the juice wrld & lil peep docs and am waiting for the new XXX tentacion one too.

As well as "fly on the wall" ones I also really enjoyed About a Son (Kurt cobain) and am just about to watch Back and Forth (foo fighters) and montage of heck (Kurt cobain) in a few minutes.

I also really really enjoyed "classic Albums nirvana's Nevermind", mainly because it's an absolute pleasure to watch/listen to Butch Vig and it's just dawned on me that he literally looks a bit like Paul Dano (the riddler) from The Batman (coincidentally "something in the way" is the main theme song).

So yeah, if anyone has any favourite documentaries for interesting artists or seminal albums then I'd love to find more stuff to waste some time 🤌

Anvil: the Story of Anvil.

The music couldn't be further from my CD collection, but I adore these guys.

I cheer them on, laugh at their goofy badassery, and basically bawl like a baby even when I just watch the trailer.

Heartwarming movie, seriously. But of course it would be; they're Canadian.

An absolute classic that I heard about many moons ago but didn't get round to watching yet, shall fix that after church, cheers!

Anvil: the Story of Anvil.

The music couldn't be further from my CD collection, but I adore these guys.

I cheer them on, laugh at their goofy badassery, and basically bawl like a baby even when I just watch the trailer.

Heartwarming movie, seriously. But of course it would be; they're Canadian.

It's not just the story of Anvil, it's the story of every original band that tried to make it, got some traction, but never truly found success.

I remember watching it, and my wife didn't get it, and I'm like, this is my life story (only without the bit about being big in Japan).

I was never a great fan of her growing up, but the Linda Ronstadt documentary "The Sound of My Voice" was fantastic. Much respect now.
A very sad tale, "Amy" (Amy Winehouse) was also good. Such talent wasted by family dysfunction & drug addition.
The CNN Eagles documentary.

I love what I've seen of Mike Judge's Tales from the Tour Bus. I would like to see them in their entirety.

Summer of Soul.
Questlove earned that Oscar.

All-time favorite is Heavy Metal Parking Lot. One of the best time capsules ever.

Second place would be Searching for Sugar Man. So good. So many surprises. Expert storytelling.

A Band Called Death is great too. Another tragic story about a band that almost made it.

I liked Summer of Soul, but it was such a tease to only see portions of the on-stage performances. I would be so into the music, and they'd cut away to interviews, which were great, but damn, Stevie Wonder was just on fire and they pulled the rug out.

"Bring on the Night" from Sting about his first solo album is technically a documentary.

I find that one absolutely fascinating - seeing all the jazz heavies working with a pop start on his first solo outing. I love the part where Darryl Jones is like 100% straight up with the interview team...he says something like "Sting keeps calling us a band....I don't think we're a band really" and that's proved to be true with Sting's changing lineup over the years.

Great concert too.

Back