Best movie soundtrack

SomeBadDrummer

Here are a few of mine with various artists culled for the movie, not musical movies based on an album. I like Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore and John Williams but I’m thinking about radio tunes not written for the movie chosen to set the backdrop for the scenes.

Apocalypse Now
Forest Gump
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Pulp Fiction

What say ye?

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Are we talking soundtrack as in list of songs, or soundtrack as in the actual orchestration for the movie?

The latter, I'd say Gettysburg, Last of the Mohicans, Lion King, Terminator 2, Star Trek First Contact is a good list.

If it's the former, pick any Beatles movie.

RVN

Easy Rider was a favorite of mine. Especially, the segue way on the LP version between The Pusher and Born To Be Wild with a chopper accelerating and shifting gears.
1612842159482.png

I was blown away with Live And Let Die when it came out and you could only get a copy of the title track if you bought the soundtrack to the movie. I even like the transition music on that album. McCartney later made that available on Wings Greatest Hits a year or two later.

1612842231053.png

Jackie Brown

1612842656431.png

Soundtrack to the movie Phenomenon

1612842088959.png

1."Change the World"Gordon Kennedy · Wayne Kirkpatrick · Tommy SimsEric Clapton3:56
2."Dance with Life (The Brilliant Light)"Bernie Taupin · Martin PageBryan Ferry6:14
3."Crazy Love"Van MorrisonAaron Neville · Robbie Robertson4:30
4."Corrina"Jesse Ed Davis · Taj MahalTaj Mahal3:00
5."Have a Little Faith in Me"John HiattJewel4:24
6."I Have the Touch"Peter GabrielPeter Gabriel5:27
7."Piece of Clay"Gloria Jones · Pam SawyerMarvin Gaye5:11
8."Para Donde Vas"Joe Cabral · Rod HodgesThe Iguanas3:18
9."Misty Blue"Bobby MontgomeryDorothy Moore3:39
10."A Thing Goes On"J.J. CaleJ.J. Cale2:38
11."The Orchard"Thomas NewmanThomas Newman2:33

There are so many good soundtracks that evoke nostalgia when connected to the movie.

Twister
Last Action Hero
Grosse Pointe Blank
Apollo 13
Point Of No Return

I love soundtrack combinations. You get used to hearing the various artists in a unique specific order.

timmdrum

Silver Member
In addition to Forrest Gump, Grosse Pointe Blank, and Pulp Fiction - Dazed and Confused, Judgement Night, Guardians of the Galaxy, Singles, Pump Up The Volume, The Big Chill, and Say Anything.

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

To choices:

John Wick chapter 1
Dirty Harry I
Nice, first one in the pool. Dirty Harry is fabulous
Easy Rider was a favorite of mine. Especially, the segue way on the LP version between The Pusher and Born To Be Wild with a chopper accelerating and shifting gears.
View attachment 100857

I was blown away with Live And Let Die when it came out and you could only get a copy of the title track if you bought the soundtrack to the movie. I even like the transition music on that album. McCartney later made that available on Wings Greatest Hits a year or two later.

View attachment 100858

Jackie Brown

View attachment 100859

Soundtrack to the movie Phenomenon

View attachment 100856

1."Change the World"Gordon Kennedy · Wayne Kirkpatrick · Tommy SimsEric Clapton3:56
2."Dance with Life (The Brilliant Light)"Bernie Taupin · Martin PageBryan Ferry6:14
3."Crazy Love"Van MorrisonAaron Neville · Robbie Robertson4:30
4."Corrina"Jesse Ed Davis · Taj MahalTaj Mahal3:00
5."Have a Little Faith in Me"John HiattJewel4:24
6."I Have the Touch"Peter GabrielPeter Gabriel5:27
7."Piece of Clay"Gloria Jones · Pam SawyerMarvin Gaye5:11
8."Para Donde Vas"Joe Cabral · Rod HodgesThe Iguanas3:18
9."Misty Blue"Bobby MontgomeryDorothy Moore3:39
10."A Thing Goes On"J.J. CaleJ.J. Cale2:38
11."The Orchard"Thomas NewmanThomas Newman2:33

There are so many good soundtracks that evoke nostalgia when connected to the movie.

Twister
Last Action Hero
Grosse Pointe Blank
Apollo 13
Point Of No Return

I love soundtrack combinations. You get used to hearing the various artists in a unique specific order.
@Auspicious - I think I met my match. Your list is much better than mine, LOVE the music in Live and Let Die and Easy Rider. Probably showing my age ..but it’s music from the best era.

someguy01

Bad movies, good soundtracks: Judgement Night (awful movie) and Out of Sight (might be worse)

pgm554

Platinum Member
Love and Death
Blade Runner

Benthedrummer

I reckon the Tron Legacy soundtrack is just simply jaw dropping..... unbelievable.

It is the only soundtrack that I have ever bought.

It is big, epic and emotional.

Daft Punk are just so talented.

Love it ❤️❤️❤️

Old Dog new Cans

The Crow soundtrack is probably still my favorite. A lot of good ones mentioned above. Apocalypse Now, Easy Rider, Twister.

And ALL of Tarentino's flicks have GREAT soundtracks.

C.M. Jones

I'll take the iconic Urban Cowboy soundtrack. Johnny Lee, Charlie Daniels, Jimmy Buffett, Mickey Gilley, and other country legends. Heck, it don't get no better than that.

Yee-haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best ? I don’t know but here’s a few.

Cadillac records
Platoon
The big Lebowski
Freddy vs Jason
Saw movies
Texas chainsaw massacre
Last action hero
Strangeland

The Sopranos.While not so much the movie soundtrack abd I know it’s not a movie but the series had excellent song choices

Last edited: