Best Microphone for a bass drum

Depends entirely on the sound you're going for. My first pick for recording is a vintage AKG D12e and a relatively new U47fet clone, but that won't work for metal, where I'd use a Sennheiser e902 and a Subkick, but that wouldn't work for jazzy things, where I'd probably reach for an RE20. Same sort of thing goes for live; I pick between a Beta 52 and an e902.

If I were to go out and get a kick mic right now for live use, it would probably be an Electrovice ND68. Every review and shootout rates it very favorably, and people who use it love it.

With that said, recording and live are different things, and there are different sounds for different genres of music.

For recording, I'd probably want something like an RE20, SM7B, Beta 52, or D112. Some people love the Audix D6 for live in a rock setting, but it has such a distinctive sound - go into any club during sound check, and you can immediately tell if the kick mic is a D6. (And it usually is.)

I'm pleased with the Beta 91A on the Shu Flatz. I really liked the sound from the new sE electronics kick mic. Several different setting on it, allow for different situations and music types. I'm gonna add it to my mic arsenal and run both kick mics live.

I've used an Audio-Technica AE2500 dual-element (in-phase dynamic & condenser capsules in a single unit) for recording and an Audix D6 in live settings. I now use an Electro-Voice N/D868 and am very happy with it. That said, if you play metal, consider the Audix D6. It has a scooped EQ that metalheads love.D6 Frequency Response.jpeg

Dynamic for live (something like a B52, D6, etc...). While not all dynamics are created equal, it's ultimately up to the guy running the board what they want to deal with.

For recording, I use an LDC a couple feet away. Currently, an AT2020 is filling that role. It sounds like this....

The best would as others mention be dependant on style and taste. There's a reason why a studio has an arsenal to choose from. People have their standards live, but for a recording, if they have some options, it's just whatever's not taken or seems to work the best for each situation

Often people would use a combination of two or three mics. An internal mic and something outside. Someting like a Subkick could be the outid mic, but you could use something else or even combine with with something else as an outside mic. In big studios where they have plenty of stuff to choose from it's not uncommon to put a really nice one in front.

Personally, I have a Beta 52A. It's one of the standard inside mics and does the job for practicing and l general live use. Some prefer the AKG.

If you just need a basic good sound the Audix D6 is very popular and reasonably priced. If you like to tinker, maybe get something else.

I use a Heil PR48 for ported live applications, but that's a very personal preference. I like the ready dialled in delivery, but it's still fairly transparent compared to other more "distinctive" popular offerings. For recording = it very much depends on the session vibe = multiple choices.

I'm a Beta 52 fan as well. But in a perfect studio world, the EV RE20 is my go-to. But it depends your budget. How much you wanna spend? Microphones vary incredibly in price and people can make do on whatever they get their hands on.

Toss up between the Audio-Technica ATM25 (most natural sounding to my ear) and the Telefunken M82. Currently using the Heil PR48 primarily on my gong bass drum. I've used all three of these three mic's independently on a Kelly Shu Pro Mount mixed in with a Sennheiser e901 on a Kelly Shu FLATZ mount.

I use a Heil PR48 for ported live applications, but that's a very personal preference. I like the ready dialled in delivery, but it's still fairly transparent compared to other more "distinctive" popular offerings. For recording = it very much depends on the session vibe = multiple choices.

That's a great dynamic mic for BD. It bumps the 60hz range, cuts the top off at 7.5kkz, high SPL, good side rejection, etc. It does a lot of the same things I would typically do at the board, but within the microphone. It gets us one channel closer to that sound-guy-nirvana where everything sounds great before I've touched a single thing on the board.

On the flip side, that's possibly a horrible mic for Bass guitar, for the very same reasons.

Audix D6 for metal and rock. basically any music where you want it to have an "eq'd" sound. That's the nice thing about Audix mics. you slap em on any they already sound good. It's not the same as a fully mixed set up, but it helps. All mics do this to some degree but some more than others. Nice thick low end punch but also the attack to cut the mix. I'm sure you could use any mic and be fine with proper EQ. I used to have a cheap CAD mic I could make sound great.

Audix D6, it's a no fuss great live bass drum mic. Stick it by the bass drum front head and you have a bass drum sound. Guessing D112. PG52s etc fall in the same category.

I've used an Audio-Technica AE2500 dual-element (in-phase dynamic & condenser capsules in a single unit) for recording and an Audix D6 in live settings. I now use an Electro-Voice N/D868 and am very happy with it. That said, if you play metal, consider the Audix D6. It has a scooped EQ that metalheads love.View attachment 86488
Which mic is this frequency response to

Toss up between the Audio-Technica ATM25 (most natural sounding to my ear) and the Telefunken M82. Currently using the Heil PR48 primarily on my gong bass drum. I've used all three of these three mic's independently on a Kelly Shu Pro Mount mixed in with a Sennheiser e901 on a Kelly Shu FLATZ mount.

I use the Telefunken M82 short as my vocal mic behind the drums. I think it's far better sounding and a lot more gain before feedback than the other members Shure mics.

If I were to go out and get a kick mic right now for live use, it would probably be an Electrovice ND68. Every review and shootout rates it very favorably, and people who use it love it.

With that said, recording and live are different things, and there are different sounds for different genres of music.

For recording, I'd probably want something like an RE20, SM7B, Beta 52, or D112. Some people love the Audix D6 for live in a rock setting, but it has such a distinctive sound - go into any club during sound check, and you can immediately tell if the kick mic is a D6. (And it usually is.)

I've had the EV ND68 on the kick for years and haven't been able to find a better mic yet. I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.

Back