Best Kit for $2000

cbphoto

Gold Member
I believe I have it narrowed down to these. I really like them all. Any final thoughts or advice?
I like the 24" bass and availability of the toms to add.
DW Performance 24"
Pearl Session Studio Select 22"
Tama Starclassic 22"
Too bad your Tama choice doesn't utilize a virgin bass drum like the other two choices. I think it provides a more versatile setup than bass-drum-mounted toms.

Also, reach out to Dale's Drum Shop. They have several killer Tama kits in stock that are "old" (birch/bubinga) with great pricing. I dropped by during a road trip and they are a great bunch of guys who love drummers.

Craig J

My avatar indicates my obvious bias, but you should test drive the Pearl Session Studio Select (or Classic if you can find NOS).

Birch/Mahogany shells, or Birch/Kapur for the Classic. I too am just getting started and spent a few months deciding what kit I would buy. I was on the fence with Mapex Saturn V, Ludwig Keystone, Tama SC, and others on the short list. When I heard the Pearl SSC it was game over for me.

I also gravitate toward 70s, 80s rock

Pearl Studio Session Select. Add a nice snare and your budget is still safe
i second this!

wildbill

Platinum Member
I am thinking about spending $2000 total and will buy cymbals and hardware separate so looking for best bang for the buck on shells.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like you're looking for drums, hardware, cymbals - the whole shot for 2000.
If so, I'd say put 1000 of that towards cymbals, 250 or so for hardware, and the rest on drums.
I think a throne normally isn't included in a hardware pack either.

Or maybe, I read it wrong, and you want to spend 2000 on just the drums - hard to tell from what you wrote.

DenK

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like you're looking for drums, hardware, cymbals - the whole shot for 2000.
If so, I'd say put 1000 of that towards cymbals, 250 or so for hardware, and the rest on drums.
I think a throne normally isn't included in a hardware pack either.

Or maybe, I read it wrong, and you want to spend 2000 on just the drums - hard to tell from what you wrote.
I started with that goal, but have changed to $2000 for shells. :oops:

wildbill

Platinum Member
Get a kit that comes with the sizes you want to use already included.
Then it won't be a major hassle if you want to order other sizes later.