Best Kit for $2000

DenK

NewB Alert, sorry if this has been asked but did not see it.
After a long break in drumming, I am thinking about getting back into it.
I am thinking about spending $2000 total and will buy cymbals and hardware separate so looking for best bang for the buck on shells.
I know customizing is part of the fun, so looking for solid shells that I can build a kit around. Will be playing 70-80's rock mostly.
Was thinking Tama Starclassic Maple, but wanted to hear from you guys before making any decisions.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Hi DenK

The answer you usually get when asking about the best kit at given price point is that you'll end up more more confused by the replies than when you started. Aside from the absolute beginner rubbish which you can still find, once you're spending £400 upwards, then as long as you're comparing like with like there's nobody making inherently "bad" kits. Certainly by the time you're in $2000 territory it's almost literally down to colour preference and if certain brand qualities either speak or don't speak to you.
Perhaps the way forward is to think about what size of drums and configuration you want (i.e, how many mounted toms,how many floor toms) see what's available and then ask if the kit you're looking at is a bad idea, and what it is about the kit that appeals to you and are there other suggestions with the same qualities that are better made/better value etc.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Hi DenK

The answer you usually get when asking about the best kit at given price point is that you'll end up more more confused by the replies than when you started. Aside from the absolute beginner rubbish which you can still find, once you're spending £400 upwards, then as long as you're comparing like with like there's nobody making inherently "bad" kits. Certainly by the time you're in $2000 territory it's almost literally down to colour preference and if certain brand qualities either speak or don't speak to you.
Perhaps the way forward is to think about what size of drums and configuration you want (i.e, how many mounted toms,how many floor toms) see what's available and then ask if the kit you're looking at is a bad idea, and what it is about the kit that appeals to you and are there other suggestions with the same qualities that are better made/better value etc.
X2! At $2000 there’s a lot to chose from. Any particular brand you’re moved by? Go with what gets you excited to play. Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, Mapex, Gretsch, Ludwig...etc. they all make great drums and $2k can get you high quality gear.

Arkansmay

My idea was to look at who supplies good quality on the low end as far as shell packs go, and that really got me into Yamaha Stage Custom Birch. I feel like you would be hard pressed to find hardware, build quality, fit and finish, as well as clean sound at that price point with any other brand outside of the used market.

Money left over goes to a hardware kit and decent cymbals to get started. Including tax, I got a shell pack, Zildjian cybmal kit and hardware for 1800 delivered. I don't think you can do much better for much less.

Of course that's my opinion, your mileage may vary :)

KamaK

Platinum Member
NewB Alert, sorry if this has been asked but did not see it.
After a long break in drumming, I am thinking about getting back into it.
I am thinking about spending $2000 total and will buy cymbals and hardware separate so looking for best bang for the buck on shells.
I know customizing is part of the fun, so looking for solid shells that I can build a kit around. Will be playing 70-80's rock mostly.
Was thinking Tama Starclassic Maple, but wanted to hear from you guys before making any decisions.
The chances that you will get things 100% correct the first time around are minimal, leaving you eventually dissatisfied regardless of the brand/tier/price/etc.

To avoid this, grab a functional commodity kit for a year and develop preferences. Make sure it is something with an easy resale, like a Yamaha SC with Zildjian A's.

FWIW, I had a Renown for a year before I decided on my George Way, and it afforded ample time to decide what I did and did not like. I did take a little bit of a loss (bought for 9, sold for 7), but probably/definitely would have ordered the wrong kit had I not possessed the experience.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
If you can find a Starclassic with the sizes you want at a reasonable price, I say go for it. They have worked for Mr. Phillips for a long time.

Square

My avatar indicates my obvious bias, but you should test drive the Pearl Session Studio Select (or Classic if you can find NOS).

Birch/Mahogany shells, or Birch/Kapur for the Classic. I too am just getting started and spent a few months deciding what kit I would buy. I was on the fence with Mapex Saturn V, Ludwig Keystone, Tama SC, and others on the short list. When I heard the Pearl SSC it was game over for me.

I also gravitate toward 70s, 80s rock

Pearl Studio Session Select. Add a nice snare and your budget is still safe

theseer2

I already have 5 kits, but if I had to start fresh all over again with nothing, I'd get the Ludwig Neusonics with the added rack and floor toms (10,12,14,16, either 20 or 22 bass) 5pc and a Ludwig Ludalloy snare. I dont have these shells, but its the ones I'd get!

Well below the 2000 mark and use the spare to get the snare

USA made ludwigs, Use the 5pc whatever way you want and change it up or use them all.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Best for what, best at what? Overall I would be getting a Gretsch Brooklyn. Does the 2000 include hardware, cymbals.?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Start looking around on the internet for kits you like. I've always said once you get past the $1500 price point, they're all good. And they're all good for everything - so you don't even have to consider what you're doing (it ain't the drum, but the drummer, as you already know). All the big brands have very cool pro shell packs in that $2000 range - so I say pick a favorite brand you want to try to like and go get one. They'll all work.

There are some obvious marketing things - like, do you want to look vintage or modern? A modern looking kit would not look good if you play in a 1940s-type big band, and vintage marine pearl may not match if you play in a Depeche Mode tribute band. But that's really the only consideration - if you're even at that point of looking like you belong in whatever band you're playing in. I say if you don't know, and care about what it looks like, you can't go wrong with black. It matches everything.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
New Ludwig Classic maple, Pearl Master maple, but a little more and Gretsch Brooklyn and Sonor SQ1 range. Then you can probably find a used Yamaha Recording Custom for 2000 give or take. Mapex Saturn, DW designers, Gretsch Renown's lower range.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
New Ludwig Classic maple, Pearl Master maple, but a little more and Gretsch Brooklyn and Sonor SQ1 range. Then you can probably find a used Yamaha Recording Custom for 2000 give or take. Mapex Saturn, DW designers, Gretsch Renown's lower range.
If you wanna shop used, you could probably find alot of DW Collector's kits out there too - provided you like the funky colors and weird sizes (which is why they're on the used market) ;)

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Used. You can get much better kits for a cheaper price used. I grabbed a used reference pure a while ago and am loving it. Spent 1/3 of what it would cost new and it is MINT.

IBitePrettyHard

Amazing sounding and looking kit. Tamas build quality on these is impeccable along with the best mounting system you can get.
I'll second that. I'd take a Tama Starclassic Birch/Walnut before a Starclassic Maple. They have a deep, full and punchy sound. And they're cheaper than the Starclassic Maple.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Are you willing to consider buying USED gear? By buying used, your $2000 will put you behind a professional kit with hardware and cymbals, and most of it will be like brand new.

If you are interested in this avenue, send me a PM and I'll show you how it's done. I've tutored other board members thru the process, and they ended up with the kit of their dreams.

GeeDeeEmm