Best kit for £1500

whatsam

I've just found out I have a little more money than I thought to spend on a new kit and I'm open to any suggestions. I've been playing kits in lots of music stores and the decision is a difficult one. I know I want two floor toms (still flexible if it was a nice kit) and am not bothered about the amount of racks. The bass drum needs to be punchy and with low amounts of resonance so preferably many plies. Also maple/bubinga would be best. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer :)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
What kits have you tried and what did you like and dislike about them?
That is how you decide. Compare for yourself and be confident in your choice based on your impressions.
All of the leading manufacturers make quality Maple/ Bubinga drums. There is no best. there just is what there is.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The bass drum needs to be punchy and with low amounts of resonance so preferably many plies.
I'd just like to chime in here with a clarification. The distinction between resonance of the shell, & resonance of the heads, is little understood. Although related, they are in fact completely different elements, & present themselves individually.

Resonance of the shell is what shapes the sound. It's what dictates which frequencies are "absorbed", and which frequencies are reflected. In most applications, & depending on shell thickness & batter bearing edge design, effective shell resonance lasts for a second or less. In solid shell drums such as stave or hollow log, a little longer, & in thinner steam bent shells, a little longer again. All this assuming the drum is struck with aplomb.

Head resonance is what many perceive as resonance. It's manifested as sustain, & is simply the head/heads continuing to oscillate, either by sympathetic/direct resonance transfer, or they're own momentum according to mass & dynamic, or both.

So what does all this tech crap actually mean. Well, it's perfectly possible to have a highly resonant shell produce a dry & punchy note with almost zero sustain. Equally, it's possible to have a thick shell with low resonant properties produce a lot of sustain. A thick bass drum shell offers an efficient conduit. It maximises volume, but often at the expense of characterful tone, leaving much of the sound shaping to the heads. That's cool if you want to cut through a mix unmic'd & accept that much of the bottom end will be swallowed up in an amplified band setting. If you're micing live, or especially if you're recording, tone becomes the primary defining factor, & levels of sustain depend on so many elements aside from shell thickness.

whatsam

Thanks, that saturn sounds like a good bet and it would be nice to upgrade all my hardware at the same time.

Also thank you for clarifying my misunderstanding about resonance, what I love about this forum is whatever you post, you will undoubtably learn something.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Also thank you for clarifying my misunderstanding about resonance, what I love about this forum is whatever you post, you will undoubtably learn something.
No problem, my pleasure. Just trying to focus your mind so you don't exclude options that might offer you the best result.

Just a pity that the number of drums you want puts us outside of your budget, otherwise we could build you a stave set that would deliver every aspect of your requirements, & more besides.

To throw a curved ball, an 80's Sonor Phonic could well provide most of the punch profile you're after :)

whatsam

I'm still a little flexible on the number of drums, would a 20x16 12x8 14x12 be out of my budget still?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still a little flexible on the number of drums, would a 20x16 12x8 14x12 be out of my budget still?
With a bit of "Drummerworld forum special discount", it's possible :) Depends on the timber species.

richkenyon

Silver Member
Get a 2nd hand kit - no reason why you can't get a supreme kit for that kind of money, assuming you don't require cymbals.

I picked up a 6 piece Sonor DeLite for a lot less; ditto for a Yamaha Maple Custom.

whatsam

Now theres a discount I would like to follow up on.

Yes I keep been pointed to towards maple custom absolutes, I think a bit of ebay searching is required on my part.

burn-4

the old maple customs are quite cheap these days and still fantastic kits by all accounts- not the absolute, the old ones with the square gold lugs. They come up on ebay pretty regularly

The saturn is meant to be awesome too so you can't go wrong really- the website I posted earlier is really good-if you can travel to southampton you could try them out too before you buy (which you obviously wont be able to do on ebay)