"Best" in classified ads.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
It always amuses me when they say "this the best snare I ever owned." Well hey there Skippy, If it's the best snare you ever owned why are you selling it??? Are you just keeping the ones that don't sound good?? LOL

Yep. I just put my 1965 Ludwig Pioneer in a duco finish up for sale. The thing sounds like the hammer of Thor—I mean that in the best way, of course—but baby needs a new pair of shoes. (Not literally...in that she's not a baby any more, but she really could use a new pair of sneakers, so.)

johnwesley

Silver Member
It always amuses me when they say "this the best snare I ever owned." Well hey there Skippy, If it's the best snare you ever owned why are you selling it??? Are you just keeping the ones that don't sound good?? LOL
My thought exactly. Then again there are those out there who strive for the pinnacle of mediocrity.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Just sold the best acoustic guitar I've ever owned, but I wanted to pay a big bill off. No regrets.

People's lives change, and what was once a priority sometimes isn't anymore. Kids take a lot of money, and so does other things, like marriage (and divorce), home ownership, car repair bills, etc. Sometimes an item of desire can turn into an item of animosity if you spent too much or it put you in some sort of financial bind. There are times where people just buy "too much instrument" for what they really need. Other instances, it's just time to pass things along to others who will enjoy them.

I never think too much whenever someone says an item is for sale and "It's the best I've ever heard." I've lived long enough now to know how and why people sell their best. I guess sometimes it can be "sad," but other times once it's gone, sometimes it's more of a relief now that funds have opened up for them.

Jbravo

:mad:
I've never understood this one. Having kids doesn't mean you have to lose yourself.
I wouldn’t call it losing yourself, but I would definitely recommend to anyone contemplating a family to understand that will demand a lot of your time and treasure for many years to come... and I’ve found it to be well worth the costs in both. And now that the kids are grown my wife and I have time and money for other things too.

donzo74

I'd imagine sometimes it comes down to what you have of value that you can actual get something for. If you have have other drums that you can get by with but that no one will give you anything for, sometimes you have to make the choice to keep and play those and sell the one that you love because it happens to be a popular model that you can unload quickly for the most cash.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You wouldn't sell too many if you said, "this is the fifth best snare I have ever heard" It's like the Geico commercial where the nurse says the Dr. is OK. Ok isn't good enough. I would say, the snare I'm keeping only sounds a little better than this one. lol

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

:mad:
I've never understood this one. Having kids doesn't mean you have to lose yourself.
that is what I was getting at. I know many people who had kids, and were able to continue doing what they enjoyed before the kids. It is definitely a matter of initiative, balance, communication etc.

For me, it is step kids, but I just exposed them to what I enjoyed doing, and then it was no problem. Happily, my youngest step kid, who was 10 when we met, is now a senior in HS; got into drumming in 6th grade, and is now going to college and doing drumline there...he also got me back into one of my former loves - BMX biking - so there was a cool give and take. No one had to give up anything...

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I've bought a couple of cymbals that the owner said it was one of the best they'd heard, and once they were delivered to me, they became one of the best I've ever heard, too. (I bought another cymbal, though, where the owner made it plain that he was selling it simply because he didn't like it. Turns out, neither did I, so it was resold.)

Because I'm dirt poor, I keep only those things that I really like. So, if I want to buy something else, the source of those funds must come from selling the things I like. That simple. And I've said before in my sales ad that the _______________ I'm selling is the best one I've ever owned, and it was true. But now I wanted something else.

GeeDeeEmm