Best drumming album of all time?

Not sure if it's been mentioned or not .. but Tool's 10,000 Days is definitely worth a listen - specifically tracks 7 "Lost Keys" through 10 "Right In Two". There is plenty of great Carey stuff on the rest of the album, and on the other albums, but for some reason those 4 songs in order are simply amazing for me.

Of course .. anything from Vinnie Calouita, Dennis Chambers, Gavin Harrison, Chad Sexton and Abe Cunningham - inspires all day long.

Anything by Yes.

Bill Bruford is a monster.

Great thread, it brings back a lot of memories of albums I grew up listening to but haven't heard in their entirety in years.

My vote would go to Rush 2112. Moving Pictures is phenomenal too, it's a tough call.

Carter Beauford on Before These Crowded Streets is simply amazing.

Kill 'Em All, Metallica. Lars ripped on this one.

Bill Ward on Master of Reality, Black Sabbath.

Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin. Bonham rocks...

Pridgen plays on The Bedlam in Goliath and yea, he's badass.
My buddy went to a clinic of his and apparently Pridgen knows little theoretical knowledge, he plays based mostly on feeling.
Feeling music is definitely the most important aspect of drumming with a band, but I still feel like theoretical knowledge is real important. It's interesting to see such a good drummer who goes against that.

Aenima & Lateralus - Tool
2112 & Moving Pictures - Rush
The Bedlam in Goliath - The Mars Volta
In Absentia & Deadwing - Porcupine Tree
Focus - Cynic
Human - Death
Blind - Corrosion of Conformity

Any album Buddy Rich played on.

Avended Sevenfold - M.I.A.
Artic Monkeys - Brianstorm, When the sun goes down
Foo Fighters - Best of You
Cream - White Room
Sunny Day Real Estate - Seven

Bonus Trivia Question: Do you know what the significance of the letters "YYZ" is in reference to the song?

YYZ is the Airport code for Toronto Pearson International. If you are ever flying into Toronto, check your luggage tag and it should say YYZ. The full official code is CYYZ, YYZ might be for the associated Navigational aid.

Not only am I a Drummer I am a Pilot as wel (from Toronto Area)l.

Favourite Drumming Album? Tyranny of Distance by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists and One Chord to Anothe by Sloan.

Too many choices but if I had to pick some......

Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden Best Song Jesus Christ Pose

Fireball by Deep Purple Fireball

Emerson Lake & Palmer self titled Best song Tank

Red by King Crimson best song One More Red Nightmare

Bitches Brew by Miles Davis Best Song Spanish Key

Frizzle Fry by Primus Best songs Spegetti Western and John The Fisherman

Anything By John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colatiua, Neil Peart, or Keith Moon.
Can't Get Better Than that

TAKE FIVE - Dave Brubeck Quartet, Joe Morello, Drums

CANNONBALL ADDERLEY QUINTET IN SAN FRANCISCO - Cannonball Adderley, et al, Louis Hayes, Drums

Morello's work on the "Take Five" track is, of course, classic. Hayes' work on "This Here" is fascinating. He seems uncomfortable with the 3/4 time, loses it a couple of times, but comes back with a vengeance. The song really rocks, possibly as much because of his mistakes as in spite of them.

I'm gonna go with heavy weather by weather report. Stunning percussion, latin drumming, funk, fusion, and even some jazz! Outstanding album!

Jimmy Cobb on "Kind Of Blue" by Miles Davis. Sure, you got to love Tony, Elvin, and Max and all the other jazz masters, but Cobb's simple, direct and beautifully grooving performance is a shining example of everything that's right about playing music.

Oh yea......, and Ringo on every Beatle recording.

Bonus Trivia Question: Do you know what the significance of the letters "YYZ" is in reference to the song?

YYZ is the Airport code for Toronto Pearson International. If you are ever flying into Toronto, check your luggage tag and it should say YYZ. The full official code is CYYZ, YYZ might be for the associated Navigational aid.

Not only am I a Drummer I am a Pilot as wel (from Toronto Area)l.

Favourite Drumming Album? Tyranny of Distance by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists and One Chord to Anothe by Sloan.

After all the above knowledge of Rush and you choose a non-Rush album??? :)

Back