Best drumming album of all time?

Serious Young Insects - On The Virg, Drummer: Virgil Donati

Drumming from a different planet!!

Secrets - Allan Holdsworth, Drummer: Vinnie Colaiuta

Drumming from another different planet.

EnRoute Live - John Scofield, Drummer: Bill Stewart

(I know it's been mentioned before in the thread

Also: Bill Stewart's solo records like Telepathy or Incandescence

"Moonloop" by Porcupine Tree, from 1994. Drumming by Chris Maitland, which is just amazing, its really the definition of groove if you ask me!

Many great drummers, bands and albums have been listed on this long ongoing thread. It has been educational for me as I checked out several I was not familiar with and even purchased a couple of albums on iTunes because of it.

It is a very hard choice but I would personally have to go with Deep Purple's Machine Head. In my formative years as a musician (though not yet a drummer), it made such an impression on me. Ian Paice's energy, agility and musicality caught my ear as a youngster back then and has stayed with me to this day.

I really like Vinnie's playing on Secrets with Holdsworth. Also, Gavin's playing on In Absentia.

Steve Coleman & Five Elements "Rhythm People" Marvin Smitty Smith
Pat Metheny "80/81" Jack DeJohnette
Billy Cobham "Total Eclipse"

So hard to name more than one! I could go on and on.

Catch a Fire, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Carlton B. is on, under and within the time and space

Tin Drum, Japan, Steve Jansen, exquisite tom hi hat interplay

Sepultura, Roots, Igor Cavalaera ultra heavy and yet dry bounces

Pearl Jam, Versus, Dave A, kicks out stellar rock grooves on every song

Hank Mobley, Soul Station, Art Blakey, is a master and makes the music feel easy

I haven't gone through the entire thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. Frank Zappa Joe's Garage I, II and III. Vinnie's drumming on these 2 albums was insane. Watermelon in Easter Hay. Outside Now. He just took drumming to another level with these albums. I was a senior in High School when they came out and was really getting immersed in music back then. I was taking lessons at Drummer's Collective in NYC from Michael Lauren and playing as much as I could. And getting into the city to see all sorts of music. There was tons of stuff going around at this time. Anyway, I'll throw Joe's Garage out there as my suggestion. Apologies if someone has already put it out there.

P.S. I just went back and notice that Todd Bishop already mentioned it. And I whole heartedly agree.

Catch a Fire, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Carlton B. is on, under and within the time and space

Tin Drum, Japan, Steve Jansen, exquisite tom hi hat interplay

Sepultura, Roots, Igor Cavalaera ultra heavy and yet dry bounces

Pearl Jam, Versus, Dave A, kicks out stellar rock grooves on every song

Hank Mobley, Soul Station, Art Blakey, is a master and makes the music feel easy
Yay to the Japan album!

Back