Ten Summoners Tales - Sting
Moving Pictures - Rush
Blood Sugar Sex Magic - RHCP
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet
We Get Requests - Oscar Peterson Trio
Operation: Mindcrime - Queensryche

...too many more to list

This will change with my mood.. but for months now this album has just owned my soul... Especially when stratus drops into the groove after that intro.. it's just filthy and sooo perfect... BUT... the whole album to me is just drumming heaven...

P.S. to the guys talking bout Bill Ward, EASILY my all time favorite rock drummer... PERIOD... in my life which isn't as long as some here.. bands have come and gone.. i even spent 10 years without listening to beatles cause i burned out on them, I don't think i will ever listen to a zep tune again (hopefully) BUT... Sabbath... since i was like 14 i have never once said.. eck.. lets change the music when sabbath came on :) Bill should get WAY more credit than he does... to me they just never get boring or burned out...

P.P.S. listen to that bassline on Red Baron.... I think that was Sklar and just damn....

Favourite tune obviously has the best drumming.

If we're talking studio recordings they often leave a lot to be desired to my taste, but this is an old fave.

I'll have to start thinking of individual tracks I've heard over the years, but an honorable mention I'd like to bring up is Mikkey Dee's playing on the Helloween album Rabbit Don't Come Easy.
He was never in the band, but Helloween was in an awkward place where they had an album to record, but their regular drummer had mononucleosis and couldn't do it. So Mikkey filled in and absolutely crushed that album. Just a kickass metal drummer throwing down for a kickass metal band.

This will change with my mood.. but for months now this album has just owned my soul... Especially when stratus drops into the groove after that intro.. it's just filthy and sooo perfect... BUT... the whole album to me is just drumming heaven...

P.S. to the guys talking bout Bill Ward, EASILY my all time favorite rock drummer... PERIOD... in my life which isn't as long as some here.. bands have come and gone.. i even spent 10 years without listening to beatles cause i burned out on them, I don't think i will ever listen to a zep tune again (hopefully) BUT... Sabbath... since i was like 14 i have never once said.. eck.. lets change the music when sabbath came on :) Bill should get WAY more credit than he does... to me they just never get boring or burned out...

P.P.S. listen to that bassline on Red Baron.... I think that was Sklar and just damn....
No doubt Bill Ward carried Ozzy through many a concert back in the day. Phenomenal talent and command of the kit.

Too many to name! But one I’ve recently rediscovered is Jimmy Chamberlin on Cherub Rock. The simple 17 stroke rolls in the intro lead into a HH/snare/kick diddle ostinato that builds to a sixteenth note kick/ride groove. It carries the heavy, layered guitars perfectly. Listen closely and note that the first two eight notes on the third beat are silent except for the ride (and his semi-neurotic left foot). It’s subtle but adds just the right amount of anticipation. He moves a ton of air without making it sound over-played.

Here's a "one of the best" placeholder while I think of "the best".

Last edited:
My personal "best" is Gadson slaying "Use Me". The studio version is amazing and my benchmark for coolest groove ever, but my favorite version is this one... slowed way down and downright NASTY.

My personal "best" is Gadson slaying "Use Me". The studio version is amazing and my benchmark for coolest groove ever, but my favorite version is this one... slowed way down and downright NASTY.

Tha3t is one of my favorites... i love people saying how there is nothing to it and it's easy... sure... that smile gadson shows is cause he knows....

I echo the 'can't really say best' crowd...but Omar Hakim on Sting's 'Children's Crusade' always floats around the top for me....as does Manu Katche on Peter Gabriel's 'Your Eyes'.

I echo the 'can't really say best' crowd...but Omar Hakim on Sting's 'Children's Crusade' always floats around the top for me....as does Manu Katche on Peter Gabriel's 'Your Eyes'.

dude...that song was/is REVOLUTIONARY to my playing, and my concept of writing a drum part!! I did an essay on that song in English, AND a music analysis in Music Theory when I was in college. That song develops so well lyrically and musically...just awesome!!

That whole album just kills!!

Omar is one of the reasons I became a Pearl guy...

Skid Row - Monkey Business

In your face variety; and, the 3 double China hits at the end - is punctuating the song.

England Dan John Ford Coley - Nights are Forever

Obviously a beautiful tune besides - it’s a rarity in that it surprisingly features an octoplus (listen for wide range of melodic concert toms).
Is this Mr. Blaine?

Back