BEST Drum track you’ve ever heard

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Got the idea from another thread about worst drum tracks and wanted to flip it.

What are the “best” drum tracks? I’m thinking about those which fit perfectly with the other band members/music, are not over-engineered, and essentially have no room for improvement.

Obviously different musical genres present countless songs, I will stick to my penchant for classic rock and fusion. No hating on anyone for tracks, I’m interested to see what songs I might be missing.

Two come to mind immediately for me:

Jeff Porcaro - Rosanna - halftime shuffle groove
John Bonham - The Ocean - seamless time signatures

What are some of yours?

TK-421

The first thing that comes to mind is really the entirety of Rush's Moving Pictures. Neil's drumming on every track is sublime, and his drums sound very unique and amazing on that album. But if forced to pick a track, for me it's a three-way tie between Tom Sawyer, YYZ and Limelight.

Another one that comes to mind is Vinnie Colaiuta on two very different albums: Joe's Garage (Zappa) and Ten Summoners Tales (Sting). For Joe's Garage, the one truly perfect track is Keep it Greasy (especially during the 19/16 solo section at the end), and for Ten Summoners Tales it has to be Seven Days.

There are countless others I could list (like anything Gavin Harrison did with Porcupine Tree), but I'll leave it these for now.

Last edited:

Bozozoid

Silver Member
Can I just mention this?..my favorite drum (sound) on a recording is Ian Paice on Deep Purples Who do we think we are recording. His playing on every track is beyond supreme but this may be slightly off course here. I just couldn't resist.

Al Strange

Gold Member
I honestly don’t think I can pick just one Stewart Copeland track, IMO all drummers should check out The Police! (y) :) A notable track that blew my mind as a kid was Aynsley Dunbar’s performance on the 1987 version of Whitesnake’s “Crying in the Rain”…there have been hundreds of tracks before and since but this one sprung to mind outside my love of all things Copeland…:unsure:

cbphoto

Gold Member
From the 1980s:

Phil_Collins_-_Face_Value.png

From the 1970s:

Spectrum_album_cover.jpg

Blow_by_blow.jpg

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
From the 1980s:

Phil_Collins_-_Face_Value.png

From the 1970s:

Spectrum_album_cover.jpg

Blow_by_blow.jpg
Richard Bailey w Jeff Beck simply smashed the entire album, this has been such an inspiration for me to hone my chops starting back when this album was only available in vinyl haha. Can’t say anything but great things about this drum track.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Richard Bailey w Jeff Beck simply smashed the entire album, this has been such an inspiration for me to hone my chops starting back when this album was only available in vinyl haha. Can’t say anything but great things about this drum track.

Bozozoid

Silver Member
Guess what SomeBadDrummer: I've got a hand written letter from Richard Bailey going over his equiptment on that album because you and I think alike on this.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Guess what SomeBadDrummer: I've got a hand written letter from Richard Bailey going over his equiptment on that album because you and I think alike on this.
SWEET!! If it’s not proprietary and you’re at liberty to do so, I’d love to see a photo of that letter! Bailey was an huge influence on my early playing days, incredible dexterity and chops especially around complicated time signatures and changes. Just amazing.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Photos or it never happened. 😬

Bozozoid

Silver Member
SWEET!! If it’s not proprietary and you’re at liberty to do so, I’d love to see a photo of that letter! Bailey was an huge influence on my early playing days, incredible dexterity and chops especially around complicated time signatures and changes. Just amazing.
If I knew how to do it I'd do it right now. I'll go down and find the letter in the filing cabinet. I remember him using a Hyman kit. I forget right now where the letter was sent from. He was so nice to take the time to write that.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
If I knew how to do it I'd do it right now. I'll go down and find the letter in the filing cabinet. I remember him using a Hyman kit. I forget right now where the letter was sent from. He was so nice to take the time to write that.
If you find it, what a great walk down memory lane. Thanks for your willingness to share, it’s really quite a cool piece of musical history

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
I can’t choose a best, but two that always stand out to me are Mitch Mitchell on Voodoo Chile and Bill Ward’s bombastic playing on War Pigs live in Paris, December 20 1970.

There are so many others from different genres that are amazing too.
Bill Ward - demonstrating mastery of the arena and tempo, simply euphoric. If that doesn’t get you going may need to check the pulse for a heartbeat.

ron s

Bill Ward - demonstrating mastery of the arena and tempo, simply euphoric. If that doesn’t get you going may need to check the pulse for a heartbeat.
Black Sabbath is my favorite band and that 1970 Paris gig video is one of the best I’ve seen. Ward and Butler are playing so well that they fill in all the space when Iommi is soloing single notes. One of the best rhythm section performances I’ve seen. The sound quality is ok for what it is and Ozzy can even hit the notes.

But the drumming is heavy, jazzy, bluesy, and every note is played with tremendous energy. A standout performance.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Nite Sprite by Chick Corea with Steve Gadd on drums. Tasty and intense. Peace and goodwill.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Black Sabbath is my favorite band and that 1970 Paris gig video is one of the best I’ve seen. Ward and Butler are playing so well that they fill in all the space when Iommi is soloing single notes. One of the best rhythm section performances I’ve seen. The sound quality is ok for what it is and Ozzy can even hit the notes.

But the drumming is heavy, jazzy, bluesy, and every note is played with tremendous energy. A standout performance.