Best Drum Teachers In England?

Lukey G

Hello there,

As the title suggests I am a drummer from England and was wondering who are the 'best' (most renowned/reputable) here? I already know about Bob Armstrong with a big waiting list and Colin Woolway.

Apart from that I am unsure on who else there is, basically I'm a music student at college and have played drums for around 8 years, consider myself at an intermediate-advanced level. I have had numerous teachers locally and they have done the job especially as a beginner but now I am really after someone with a reputation who can push my boundaries.

Thank you very much for any help.

- Luke

Judging by what he says here, he's among my favorite posters, membername Boomka.

Todd Knapp is his real name.

Cheers Larry,

Beaker I am based in the Midlands, I am willing to travel some distance, for example I went to Bedfordshire (60 mins away from me) for a lesson with Craig Blundell, great educator as well but he's always so busy with his gigging and playing projects he rarely has time for lessons.

Cheers Larry,

Beaker I am based in the Midlands, I am willing to travel some distance, for example I went to Bedfordshire (60 mins away from me) for a lesson with Craig Blundell, great educator as well but he's always so busy with his gigging and playing projects he rarely has time for lessons.

If you're based in the Midlands check out Geoff Fry. I've not had lessons personally, but a quick look on YouTube and you'll see he's class.

The teachers I'd also recommend are Gary O'Toole and Paul Elliot who were both teaching at Drumtech when I was there many moons ago. The former has his own drum school in London now I believe whilst Paul teaches in Northumberland which, admittedly is a bit far, but he's an amazing teacher and player.

I'd second that recommendation of Paul Elliott. Having studied with Paul he's a great player and a great guy.

I'd also check out Dave Hassell.

Thanks for the suggestions of Paul Elliott, I certainly would take lessons with him but I feel the distance for me is going to be too far. From Coventry in the midlands to Northumberland where Paul's teaching studio is based would take me about 4 hours travelling, which is too excessive for me. I am willing to travel but I think a maximum of 2 hours to get there.

Regarding Dave Hassell, interesting, I've heard good and bad things, some say he's deeply rooted in Jazz mainly and has a harsh approach/attitude, that's why I've held back on contacting him so far. Not sure whether it would suit my situation. I am into all styles and like to be quite rounded in my approach don't get me wrong.

If anyone knows of other teachers who have a good reputation in England let me know!

According to Google Maps, Bristol is within 2 hours of Coventry.

Two of the teachers that teach in BIMM Bristol, Jason Bowld and James Hester, you would see in the education sections in UK drum magazines all the time.

Jason Bowld is known as a metal drummer primarily I believe and James Hester has books out on polyrhythms.

There's a BIMM in Manchester too which looks like it's within your distance.
Of course I don't know if they give private lessons in these areas as well.

Check out Pete Riley too. Teaches in the ACM in Guildford. Might be an option. Best of luck.

If you can get to London, there's Michele Drees. Her particular specialities are Brazilian rhythms and jazz, and she's a lovely person and inspirational teacher.

Purely for groove I would say Chuck Sabo, he teaches privately and at the ICMP.

Most people recommend Bob Armstrong too

Judging by what he says here, he's among my favorite posters, membername Boomka.

Todd Knapp is his real name.

Thanks, Larry. You're too kind.

To the OP, I'll second (or is it third?) Paul Elliot, Geoff Fry, James Hester, etc. You could also try Darren Ashford, Allan Cox, or try to get your foot in with Steve White. Mike Dolbear is still around...

Are your college tutors not keeping you busy enough?

Thanks, Larry. You're too kind.

To the OP, I'll second (or is it third?) Paul Elliot, Geoff Fry, James Hester, etc. You could also try Darren Ashford, Allan Cox, or try to get your foot in with Steve White. Mike Dolbear is still around...

Are your college tutors not keeping you busy enough?

Bloody mind blank mate, now would be a great time to say that I was taking fortnightly lessons with yourself for a while until my college work really got me bogged down.

Basically assignments yes, but drum aspect no, in fact it is rather bad, the 'drum tutor' we have is actually a sound engineer.

I've virtually broken up now and got plenty more time on my hands obviously thanks to no more college assignments, until the next year starts in September anyway!

Bloody mind blank mate, now would be a great time to say that I was taking fortnightly lessons with yourself for a while until my college work really got me bogged down.

Basically assignments yes, but drum aspect no, in fact it is rather bad, the 'drum tutor' we have is actually a sound engineer.

I've virtually broken up now and got plenty more time on my hands obviously thanks to no more college assignments, until the next year starts in September anyway!

My recollection is even worse, I only remember the one lesson. Did we even do two?

Back