Best Drum Covers Online? What's your take?

ghill88

The first thing to pop into most peoples heads after seeing this question is "that YouTube guy, co...something". Of course I mean Cobus. The drummer with over a billion views on his YouTube channel.

But does this number truly reflect his abilities as a drummer, or just the popularity of the songs he chooses to cover?

Who do you think has the best online drum covers?

I'm a big fan of the YouTube user matter311. But I'm partial to the band Tool, and he has done quite a few covers of theirs.

If you'd like, check out some of my brothers drum covers as well and let me know how he stacks up against the competition. Or, if you've made any drum cover videos of your own, add your link to the thread so we can check out your chops.

Let the drum cover battle begin!

So how are they all able to get their covers on Youtube without violating copyright laws?

There's got to be at least 200 covers with everyone you mentioned.

I think it's an educational or study thing. If they aren't reselling or otherwise making money off it (directly) and post it for "educational" purposes, it's considered "fair use".

I like the way my friend and former bandmate Eduardo Torres does covers. Usually not flashy, he just lays down a groove like this: http://youtu.be/wGvr3hOTclA

Sometimes putting up a video results in a gig. He scored a gig with Gavin Castleton after posting some covers. Which led to opening for Taking Back Sunday, which led to Matt Fazzi leaving TBS and joining up with Eduardo to make Happy Body Slow Brain. And now other drummers are covering and posting "Up Late". The circle continues.

This series of covers is up on his page, and now he's currently touring with Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears. http://youtu.be/2vXs8sERs94

Well about Cobus,i have heard many people say that he has popularity because he covers only famous songs and doesn't deserve the fame.
I just feel those people are jealous of cobus,i have been following cobus since 2008 and he is a talented drummer! He plays all styles of music and that's what i respect about him.

Some upcoming youtube drummers include Luke Holland,Jimmy Rainsford,Dylan Wood and Ricky Ficarelli and myself :p

Here is one of my videos -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjsLwDXBuIY

Hope you enjoy it !

i can't say i watch many drum covers (although i do appreciate rudinger/sastry/orbin) but i love watching live/studio footage where you get to learn something (maybe not even about the drum pattern, maybe the way something was mic'd, equipment used, etc).

something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snGxAUBMZHY

since so many people take decent cameras to shows and it's almost standard for artists to record video for promotional purposes it's very easy to find the actual drummers playing now.

no offence to "drum coverers" (unsure of correct terminology), but i just find it hard to believe that someone elses interpretation of a song that i already really enjoy would be more enjoyable than watching the original version played note for note by the original drummer.
i think i'm just becoming cynical in my old age :(

I find covers pretty boring in general - no matter which tune/instrument. That's why I'm only checking out a few of them once in a while.
I can see some sense in doing them - pulling off some stuff is certainly a huge achievement and the process to get you there will benefit your skills. Plus there's that idea of sharing stuff one is practicing or has learned with the rest of the world. But it seems many focus on doing covers only and aim for YouTube fame and that's it.
What's their _original_ contribution to the music world? Often times, zero. That's lame.
Take any drummer you like/admire - now do you like/admire them for being the umpteenth copy of someone else (who came before them)? Or for being "them" and being "original"?

I think learn enough to start the "you" in you, and once you have enough skills to create your own stuff - do it. Sorry for the thread hijacking/mini rant.

I find covers pretty boring in general - no matter which tune/instrument. That's why I'm only checking out a few of them once in a while.
I can see some sense in doing them - pulling off some stuff is certainly a huge achievement and the process to get you there will benefit your skills. Plus there's that idea of sharing stuff one is practicing or has learned with the rest of the world. But it seems many focus on doing covers only and aim for YouTube fame and that's it.
What's their _original_ contribution to the music world? Often times, zero. That's lame.
Take any drummer you like/admire - now do you like/admire them for being the umpteenth copy of someone else (who came before them)? Or for being "them" and being "original"?

I think learn enough to start the "you" in you, and once you have enough skills to create your own stuff - do it. Sorry for the thread hijacking/mini rant.

Drum covers- when you dont have the creativity to write your own stuff ; )

I don't agree that covers are boring or its for those people who don't have creativity!
Covering a song doesn't mean that you have to play the song exactly,a person also can add his own drum parts in it and be creative.

Well this thread is about "best drum covers (online)". I just pointed out that from my perspective this equals identifying the "best drumming copyist (online)".

Sure it depends on what "best" is for you so maybe you first have to define your concept of "best".

If it's authenticity/true reproduction of the drum parts - then "copying" is a fit term I think.
Now creativity might have its place (in fact, isn't creating variations from the stuff we're learning exactly what helps developing an own style and get ahead?). But while some may appreciate it many people (I dare say the majority) would sneer at it commenting it's "not true to the original because drummer X is playing this and that here".

Other properties which may contribute to "best" (in the eye/ear of the beholder) might be:
- entertainment (e.g. playing metal/double bass with high heels, having your drunkit suspended or bouncing around or whatever, creative video editing etc.)
- shocking effect
- whatever creates hits/comments

All I can say is that if I have to play mainstream cover songs, I want to get paid for it. Ha!

I'll watch covers if it's a drum beat that I really like or a song I'd like to play or need to play. See how other people play it. Like the Rosanna song from Toto. A couple guys out there will break the beat down in slow motion and show you how to do it.

Back