Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

If metal didn't evolve, the one handed roll and heel/toe double bass wouldnt exist. What new techniques have evolved from other genres in the past 20 years?
You're talking about technique, and physical abilities. I'm talking about music. Music requires rhythm, harmony and melody. What you call metal (for that matter, pretty much 90% of most "music" for the last 20 years) has the harmonic/melodic/rhythmic sophistication of a deaf 6-year old. If you want to include lyrical content, it's even worse.

It seems that many people equate drumming to some sort of olympic sport. Higher, faster, louder.

You're talking about technique, and physical abilities. I'm talking about music. Music requires rhythm, harmony and melody. What you call metal (for that matter, pretty much 90% of most "music" for the last 20 years) has the harmonic/melodic/rhythmic sophistication of a deaf 6-year old. If you want to include lyrical content, it's even worse.
Okay.

It seems that many people equate drumming to some sort of olympic sport. Higher, faster, louder.
While I might agree about the lacking harmony and melody, would you perhaps concede that meshuggah is quite rhythmically advanced beyond the 70’s metal that you seem most impressed with?

Meshuggah made their mark in the 90s/ early 00s. Is there anything from recent years that is truly distinct? Portal maybe, but even their impact is 10 years old now.

Did they play the song that has sword fight clang sounds in it?
My bass player and I hung out at the merch table during the show. The girl at their merch table knew their whole show word for word. She would say it, then they would say it. Everything about their show was rehearsed.

They closed the show with The Glory of Achilles. That's a pretty tough song.

Back