Best deal...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
So much to choose from. If you are looking to buy a kit and start the drumming journey, check your local Craigslist. Typically you can find complete kits (drums, hardware, cymbals) to get you started. The cost of stands, throne, a pedal, and cymbals can turn your awesome deal shell pack into a not so awesome deal.

If you are already a drummer and just want a different kit, you apparently have the keys to a small section of heaven in your area. Just stay away from page 4 (if going from price highest to lowest).

I’ve been playing for 32 years. Just moved to Milwaukee and you are right, I stepped into heaven. Between this store and the one in Kenosha they have 250 used kits, many which are not listed on their website. I have two kits already and was looking for something smaller to take out to gigs with my band. My budget is limited as I have four kids. I looked at the C &C kit but don’t know much about them. They sounded good but the floor tom was a bit small for me, also the toms seemed to be a different wood than the bass, the bass drum interior was much darker whereas the toms looked to be maple. Budget is probably more towards $5-600. The Pearls have been sold

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I’ve been playing for 32 years. Just moved to Milwaukee and you are right, I stepped into heaven. Between this store and the one in Kenosha they have 250 used kits, many which are not listed on their website. I have two kits already and was looking for something smaller to take out to gigs with my band. My budget is limited as I have four kids. I looked at the C &C kit but don’t know much about them. They sounded good but the floor tom was a bit small for me, also the toms seemed to be a different wood than the bass, the bass drum interior was much darker whereas the toms looked to be maple. Budget is probably more towards $5-600. The Pearls have been sold
Well then, if it were me with a $5-600 budget, I would either be leaving with the green Gretsch Catalina, or the black Slingerland. I would use the extra $$$ left from the Slingys to upgrade the spurs and tom mount.

My choices are based solely on color (Gretsch) and nostalgia (Slingys).

Wish there was a Music Go Round here. The closest is about 5 hours away.

What’s the story with the Slingerlands? I don’t know much about them. I’ve heard that the Niles shells are decent but I have no clue what they are made out of. I’ve also heard mixed views on the Gretsch Catalina’s. I’ve heard earlier models aren’t so great but the laters ones are pretty good for the price. I have no idea how to tell what era the Gretschs would be from...thanks for everyone’s responses, this is fun. I live 15 minutes from this store and some time I’ll take some photos and share them.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Slingerland is old school vintage. In the 80s poor management decisions basically lead to their downfall. The story is way more in depth, but that's basically it in a nutshell. I had a set when I was young, they sounded fantastic. I don't know the exact model or composition of the shell. It has a Set-O-Matic tom arm, so it would be 1968 or newer.

There are Gretsch experts here that can nail the Catalina down. I just like the green.

Geez, that video makes my local GC look like a dirt farm.

IBitePrettyHard

So anyone recommending a Gretsch CC what do you think of this one? It’s nicked up a bit but if I’m using it for playing bars, etc., I would rather use something that that I don’t care if it gets bumped around. Any thoughts on the bass drum size? https://www.musicgoround.com/product/greenfield-wi/40015-S000235497/used-gretsch-3pc-catalina-club-drum-kit-blue
A 22x20" bass drum can be a liability depending on whether it fits in your vehicle. (And how much room you have on stage) It will also have less attack and more boom.

For $250, though...that's a compelling price for a beater kit. I would check it out in person to see how it sounds, make sure it's structurally sound and has good bearing edges, etc. The money you save could be put towards cymbals and hardware.

IBitePrettyHard

This is a very good option. Armory kits are well-made and sound great for the price. Maple/Birch shells. The 20, 10, 12, 14 sizes are great for gigging around town.

I have an affinity for this Catalina Club kit, wouldn't mind getting it myself, but the sizes (26x16, 13, 16, 18) are way too big to be practical for most people.

This seems like a good deal to me. Check them out in person to see what shape they're in. Silverstars are discontinued, but they're good drums. All birch shells which is great. Sizes are good too.

C&C drums aren't usually this cheap but it's probably because of the wonky 14x10" floor tom. But I think C&C are way overpriced to begin with. Personally I'm also not a fan of the sound you get from wooden tom hoops (even though they look cool). They'll sound muted, flat, dumpy, thuddy, almost no resonance.

IBitePrettyHard

The $500 Yamaha Rydeens may seem tempting because they have hardware included. But the drums are cheap, and kinda sound cheaper too. I wouldn't.

Pearl Visions are discontinued but are great drums. They have nicks and scratches, and may need some goo remover for the sticker, but definitely worth considering. Compared to the $250 Catalina, they're about a half step up in quality, and have better hardware. Good sizes too. These are a steal at $250.

Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga drums were discontinued due to environmental restrictions, but they sound AMAZING. They may be $300 over your budget, but they're like 3X the drums IMO. I had to list them because they're such great drums, and at $900, they're about 300-500 cheaper than you'll find anywhere else online.

I already have a Mapex Armory in different sizes. Love the kit. I also have a Tama Superstar Classic which I love as well. I’m all over the Tama B/B kits, either one, if I had the cash. I’ll check out the Silverstars...I’ve always liked what Tama does with Birch. I’ve considered the Amory in walnut as well. I don’t know much about Pearl so I’ll have to check it out...what about the British made Premier artist birch?

IBitePrettyHard

That configuration appears to be a 'Limited Edition' XPK, (possibly a 75th Anniversary kit from 1997, although I haven't been able to confirm it). It has birch shells (or birch/eucalyptus/birch shells) and is Made in England which is a plus. Most of the XPKs I found online have deeper outdated tom sizes. This kit has better, more modern sizes (except for the mounted 14x12 floor tom which isn't the most ideal.)

Definitely check it out in person to see how they sound and the condition they're in. $280 seems like a great deal to me.

Edit: one of these kits sold 2 years ago on Reverb for $400.
https://reverb.com/item/6361959-premier-xpk-lacquered-4-piece-drum-shell-pack-clean?show_sold=true

Edit 2: looks like they came in a few different finish options.

Last edited: