Best dark ride for rock?

Leftie117

I've been looking at a K dark custom ride, but mostly play rock and heavier stuff. (Looks to me like K's are mostly for jazz.) Any suggestions on what else I should check out?

K's/K Customs are great for all styles, especially the rides. Check the mycmbal.com stuff out.

Every cymbal manufacturers top end lines are made for all genres of playing so you'll find one you like sooner rather than later!

For Rock a 24" Medium always sounds nice if you something a little more crashable a 23" Sweet Ride would be a nice choice.

good luck,
Bonzolead

I love the K Custom 20" ride for rock, very pingy! I use that and a 21" A Sweet Ride, I go back and forth depending on the gig.

yeah don't be deterred from K's because they are associated as "jazz cymbals".

There's plenty of K's, Sabian HH, and Paiste 602/Dark energy models that are excellent rock cymbals. Just make sure the cymbal is relatively heavy and the wash is high pitched enough to float above the amplified instruments. For my money, the Sabian HH Power Bell Ride is about as "rock" a sound as you can possibly get. Their HH Raw bell dry ride is also a perfect choice.

0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaaYDRjysvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpiVVBFfgxc

If you mic your drums at rehearsal and most live gigs, then you can cast an even wider net and find the sound that just speaks to you.

I've got a Zildjian 20 K Custom Dark Ride and love it.

It's not the first thing I think of when I think 'for rock' though.
Something with a little brighter sound and maybe a bit louder, depending
on what volume you'd be playing at.

If are looking for a ride that goes ping, then K Custom 20 is very good. (but it doesn't crash).
If you are looking for a K that does both ping and crash, the 22" K Dark Medium Ride is worth trying. It has a more ping and a little less spread than the few 20 K Custom Darks I have tried. It has a great (huuuuge) crash sound though, and a number of sounds between ping and crash.
I use mine for Rock, although it's very versatile and works in lots of other styles too.

If are looking for a ride that goes ping, then K Custom 20 is very good. (but it doesn't crash).
If you are looking for a K that does both ping and crash, the 22" K Dark Medium Ride is worth trying. It has a more ping and a little less spread than the few 20 K Custom Darks I have tried. It has a great (huuuuge) crash sound though, and a number of sounds between ping and crash.
I use mine for Rock, although it's very versatile and works in lots of other styles too.

Thanks, guys! I just ordered a used 20 dark K ride for $170! The HH raw bell rides are a bit more expensive and I personally like the K's sound a little more.

I know Mike Portnoy has used an HH Rock Ride as his main ride for many years, seems like it works great for him. Sabian HH is my favorite line, but that's because I like the jazzier sounds. However, works for rock too.

My vote would be for the Zildjian K Dark Medium ride. Much louder than you would expect , very versatile too. The stick sound never really washes out.

The previous suggestion of 602s and Dark Energy from Paiste is not a good suggestion. I have owned or own full sets of both of these lines and they are just not loud cry,bass. The 602s are definitely not dark and the Dark Energies are just not that loud.

Last edited:
Jason Bonham used a 24" K Light Ride for the Zeppelin reunion concert in '07 and it sounded great. I had the 24 and got the 22, and it makes a great crash ride for me. A very good controlled roar when you need it.

Thanks, guys! I just ordered a used 20 dark K ride for $170! The HH raw bell rides are a bit more expensive and I personally like the K's sound a little more.

Cool. Did you choose the K Custom Dark then? (The K Dark Medium only comes in a 22 so I guess it's not that one)

The Sabian 22" HH Power Bell ride (like Acidline303 said) is awesome, and the Sabian 22" HH Rock ride (like davidbehrens3.14 said) is also amazing

Last edited:
Zildjian-K-Ride-4_zps7d351ea5.jpg

Works for me (and I'm not a jazzist). But my Rock may not be your Rock.

Zildjian-K-Ride-4_zps7d351ea5.jpg

Works for me (and I'm not a jazzist). But my Rock may not be your Rock.

That seems like it would be a good option, because the heavier weight is going to get a lot more ping. In general, heavier cymbals are pingier, cut more and are more responsive, which are good qualities for rock cymbals. Dark timbres are generated mostly by hammering.

A dark ride for rock... You'll be looking at a bigger cymbal (darker sound, more volume), but a little thick to still get some ping to cut through. Someone mentioned a medium ride, and I agree with that.

You might also check out some dry rides - Paiste Twenty Masters has a few great sounding ride cymbals. There' also the 24" Twenty Masters Deep Ride, which I absolutely love but am trying to convince myself I don't need another 24" ride (I'll probably still buy it eventually).

24" Masters Deep Ride:
http://paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?category=1&family=52&action=category&menuid=343

Back