Best Cymbal Deal Thread - Show & Tell

Peedy

A few of us thought we should start a thread detailing our best cymbal deals. If you have a story to tell, this is your space. Be a giver and share. New? Used? It's all good.

I'll get the ball rolling. I watch eBay pretty religiously for old (mostly) A. Zildjians. I saw this one starting at $9.99 about 2 years ago. The pics were rather bad and the description even worse but two things made me want to chance it. 1. It came from a Chicago music store that had been open since the 1920s and 2. Even with the bad pics I could see some very interesting patterns that looked like someone had taken some time with it. NO ONE ELSE TOOK A CHANCE ON IT! I got it for 9.99 plus 12 bucks for shipping.

Turned out to be a 13.75in early 1930s A. Zildjian weighing in at 500g. Its so thin you can easily read the stamp from the bottom (pic). It's right in the middle between crash and splash, really amazing sound. I also strongly suspect is was custom made for a pro given several unique characteristics that I won't drone on about. No cracks or other problems. Cherry condition.

It was used as a very early HH (HHs came out in 1928) paired to a 12.25 inch mate, probably like the one seen in this 1933 Ludwig catalog pic below.

0.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
IMG_20190607_082635.jpg

From left to right (story will follow):

14" Paiste 404 top hat (on bottom)/NuVader top hat (on top)

20" Sabian Pro ride

14" Paiste 404 bottom hat

12" Wuhan China

20" El Rajah ride w/20 or 24 rivet holes (don't remember, not gonna count, not important)

18" Zildjian Turkish K 67-77 stamp

All cymbals are in excellent condition minus the dirt.

The Zildjian, El Rajah, and NuVaders came with my Vintage Pearl kit, as did a Dynasonic snare and cases. The whole thing was purchased at a garage sale for $125. The guy was a storage bin auction winner and was just going to throw everything away if they didn't sell. The Zildjian needs no explanation. The El Rajah has no historical evidence other than 1 site I found that said it was from around 1930 and is a house brand sold as an alternative to the Zildjians of the day. It may be a Zildjian that didn't make the grade, I have no idea. I do know it's fairly weighty, and has a beautifully dark, woody tone that opens up wonderfully when played near the edge. And no, it's not the same Rajah from the 60s. The stamps are nothing alike. I do have the NuVader bottom hat, it just isn't being used right now.

The Paistes and Sabian came from a trade I made for a crap set. I traded a $25 table and some unused golf clubs for it. I only wanted the cymbals. I sold the kit and some hardware for $10 more than I paid for the table.

The Wuhan was purchased with a $25 Amazon gift card I got for Xmas. The cymbal was like $20.

So all in all, I basically spent $135 for all the cymbals, and got some cool vintage drums, hardware, and cases for free. The kit in the picture is not the vintage Pearl, it's a Midtown with an extra tom I had lying around.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I have 2 cool stories....no pix as i am at work right now, but maybe pics will follow...

1. I got my 15" Zildjian A Quick Beat hi hats from Jerome Dillon, who is a childhood friend. They were used while he toured with Nine Inch Nails from 1996-98ish

2. I got a set of 1945 Zildjian A's from a student's parents when she moved out of the house. They had found them next to an old Rogers set from the 60's that had been left on the curb with a "Free" sign on it. She used the set and cymbs all through middle and high school, and her parents wanted to thank me for all I did for her. I had always drooled over the cymbals, so they gave them to me. It is 14" Hi Hats, an 18" crash/Ride; an 18" crash/ride with rivets, and a 22" ride.

I now use them in my jazz group, and partially in my proto-rockabilly group

They gave the Rogers kit to her uncle, who did not want the cymbals because "they weren't shiny enough"

About a year or two back, I saw a CL ad that seemed too good to be true: a pair of 14" New Beats, a 16" medium thin crash and an 18" crash-ride, all Zildjian. Judging by the photo, they appear to be mid-80s or so. The asking price...is $50. I figure it's a typo, and it's really $50 per cymbal, which is still pretty darn good. I call and am told, nope, it's $50 for all four, and that they're all in fine shape, they're "just really old."

I tell him I can be there in about 20 minutes. (I may or may not have sped a little bit on my way.)

I get there and it's a nice newish townhouse in a nice newish development. The seller seems to be in his mid-20s, not drunk or high or obviously troubled. I ask if he's just not playing anymore, and he says he has an electric kit now, because they've got a newborn, so he has to keep it down.

I give him the money without even really bothering to inspect the cymbals, although I look them over the moment I'm back in the car. No fleabites, no keyholing, no cracks. The logos have completely worn off the 18" but it's got the Zildjian stamp.

I already had a 16" medium thin crash, so I traded that (plus $15) a few weeks later for a Zildjian A 18" thin crash.

So...yeah, not a bad haul for $50.

Attachments

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

That was pretty much the one thing I focused on. A clean trans stamp 22 is on my dream list. Just think my wife would knife me in my sleep if I spent that kind of money on one cymbal. She's a fine woman, my wife. . . cept for them effen knives.
I am in the same boat...for the most part. She knew getting in to it that I was a 9-5 musician, and was going to spend money on my craft!!

I was speechless when my students parents just gave me the bag with the cymbs in it!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The best deal I have ever gotten was when the Sabian Big and Ugly line came out. The price on line was quoted wrong. The 24 was listed cheaper than the 21 inch, plus liking them on Facebook got another 10% off. I ended up with the 24 inch for 179.00 shipped. I kept it for about a year or so and sold it for $200. when it was then going for 379.00. Myself and the buyer were both happy.

Old Dog new Cans

About a month ago, I picked up a set of NICE NICE Paiste Dark Energy 14" hi hats from a member at DFO. He knocked the price down considerably for me, and did it through Reverb as well--I've not purchased anything on a forum in over a decade. Anyway, $260 shipped! They were in great condition. They are used, but you canNOT find these for less than $375 used anywhere. And new they go $600 ish, give or take 50.

cbphoto

Gold Member
In 1982 I was on the opposite side, selling my first drum kit & cymbals for $100 to get it out of my tiny studio apartment. The kit: Slingerland bass & mounted tom (using the old hoop clamp), a Ludwig floor tom, a Taiwanese CoS snare, a 16" Zildjian crash c.1960, 14" New Beats c.1970, and a Zildjian 20" ride, c. 1972. The buyer didn't want the drums, just the cymbals, but it was "all or nothing".

That was a sad day in my little apartment.

OuttaTime

I've bought a few package deals mainly for cymbals. 5 peice Ludwig accent combovame with sabian 14" hhx evolution hats and a 20" Zildjian ping ride something like 130$ ....still have it all. Never set the kit up. Most recently a new stamp vintage 20" K. .......a bit of spidering. 13$. Thrift store find. Also found cymbal package at pawn cple years ago. 20" rock ride 20" zbt ride 14" avedis rock hats 10 and 12" k splashes ....can't remember if was crash also. 170$. I've got more will update.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
About a year or two back, I saw a CL ad that seemed too good to be true: a pair of 14" New Beats, a 16" medium thin crash and an 18" crash-ride, all Zildjian. Judging by the photo, they appear to be mid-80s or so. The asking price...is $50. I figure it's a typo, and it's really $50 per cymbal, which is still pretty darn good. I call and am told, nope, it's $50 for all four, and that they're all in fine shape, they're "just really old."

I tell him I can be there in about 20 minutes. (I may or may not have sped a little bit on my way.)

I get there and it's a nice newish townhouse in a nice newish development. The seller seems to be in his mid-20s, not drunk or high or obviously troubled. I ask if he's just not playing anymore, and he says he has an electric kit now, because they've got a newborn, so he has to keep it down.

I give him the money without even really bothering to inspect the cymbals, although I look them over the moment I'm back in the car. No fleabites, no keyholing, no cracks. The logos have completely worn off the 18" but it's got the Zildjian stamp.

I already had a 16" medium thin crash, so I traded that (plus $15) a few weeks later for a Zildjian A 18" thin crash.

So...yeah, not a bad haul for $50.
The winner by a mile so far!

GeeDeeEmm

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Found a 22" Zildjian China Boy High in local pawn shop. Got it for $100. Played it 7 years, then I sold it for $125.

Found a set of 14" New Beats (same pawn shop) for $50. Top of the hat was almost black from tarnish. Bought a bottle of goove juice. Took them home, cleaned them up, and played them for years. Ended up selling them for about $125-$150.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Got my Zildjian 22 A Medium for £59 from eBay. 70s hollow logo. Seller wasn't a drummer and had acquired in a job lot of bin lids. Couple of dings on the edges but it's not left the kit since I got it, absolute gem and sounds not unlike the new Avedis dark ride.

My Mick Tucker hi hats for £80, mint 20" rude china for £70.

I've bought a few cymbals for shared rehearsal rooms or for friends on a budget. Each one was between $20 and $40: 2 20" Zilco Rides, 14" Tosco Hats, 14" B20 by Sabian Hats, 20" Diril Ride with a small crack that you don't notice when playing with others, a 20" Istanbul with a larger crack - I drilled the ends of the cracks and put a rivet into the cymbal and it sounds good for what it is.
Except for Crashes, I think that buying excellent cymbals with small cracks, can be great if you only have limited funds.

Warrenwood

Last year, a Little Rock pawn shop had three Zildjian ZBTs for sale: two 18"s and a 20". Price was $30 each. I looked closely at them: they were covered in crud, any ink had been cleaned off... but... the stamps caught my eye. I picked them up, felt the very heavy weight and immediately offered $50 cash for all three. The pawn guy accepted.

As everybody is guessing, the cymbals were NOT ZBTs. Thin stamps, 1970s vintage. However they duplicated what I already have, so I sold them... $150 each... and took the GF out for a very nice dinner.

nolibos

Christmas 1990. My parents bought me a brand new, 18 inch K ride. I was seventeen and very new to drumming. I have used it ever since.

jimb

Four months ago I bought a very clean Paiste 505 green label 18" crash on the Bay for $50....cant see any now for less than $150...crazy.