Best Cheap Pedals

SlitYourDrums

So I have my main kit, my beautiful Yammies with all my nice gear and high end Paistes and Flying Dragons. But I have my old kit, my Ludwig Accent, which I want to turn into like a monster kit.
What are some cheap, but good quality single pedals, like under $100?
I don't want to spend a lot on this kit, as it'll mostly be my second rate gear.

I saw the ddrum RX pedal- $50 and double chain? How bad can it be?

GeoB

Gold Member
Previous models (last years or so) of Pearl pedals are very reasonable and well built.

Nictarine

Silver Member
I had a Gibraltar Intruder II single pedal for a while that I regrettably sold and that pedal was one of the best pedals I've ever played (I currently use Flying Dragons), it was easy to adjust and was dual chain driven and had a solid base I'm sure you can find one used on GuitarCenter.com or eBay for cheap.

ALSO Tama just came out with the Speed Cobra 310 which is a lower end version of the Speed Cobra, I'm not sure how "low end" it is but they're only $80 new!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Danelectros are pretty good.

Fo drums; how about the chepaest Yamaha pedal, FP7210A?

SlitYourDrums

I had a Gibraltar Intruder II single pedal for a while that I regrettably sold and that pedal was one of the best pedals I've ever played (I currently use Flying Dragons), it was easy to adjust and was dual chain driven and had a solid base I'm sure you can find one used on GuitarCenter.com or eBay for cheap.

ALSO Tama just came out with the Speed Cobra 310 which is a lower end version of the Speed Cobra, I'm not sure how "low end" it is but they're only $80 new!

Yeah, i might go with the 310's. Cant go wrong on Tama products. Love the 910's, what's the biggest difference?

pgm554

Platinum Member
Gibraltar 6711DD 6700 Series Direct Drive Single Pedal @$100 bucks new out on Amazon.

Bought one a couple pf months ago for a fast light feel.

Attachments

• canvas.png
    canvas.png
    306.7 KB · Views: 614

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I think any cheap pedal from a major brand will be fine-- and most of them from off brands-- they all use basically the same mechanism. The off brand pedals may be missing adjustments you will want.

I don't really trust ddrum products myself. I use the cheapest available Yamaha pedal myself; the cheapest Tama or Pearl pedal should be great also-- I'd spend $10-15 more and get one of those.

RickP

Gold Member
The Yamaha FP7210 pedal is excellent, great value. I use one frequently and it holds it's own against some high end pedals very easily.

M

Matt Bo Eder

The Yamaha FP7210 pedal is excellent, great value. I use one frequently and it holds it's own against some high end pedals very easily.

I agree with the FP7210 - I have one that I bought new and it's a real slammer. I did change out the chain sprocket with a cam and strap and I like the feel even better.

But my favorite pedals are a couple of vintage (1978-ish) Tama Flexi-Flyer pedals, which Tama still makes - it's changed design over the years - it's basically a simply pedal with a cam and strap linkage, no plate, nice wide footboard, a real workhorse. Of course, it feels like all the others because yes, they all use the same design. You can find these old Tama's in the $30-50 range too. I love mine. I think the only things I've had to do to them is upgrade the strap, and carry spare springs and hooks (which you have to do with any pedal). I'm debating going to a skateboard shop and buying some Bones Red bearings and replacing all the axle bearings in all my pedals (I have a couple of older Tama Iron cobra Junior pedals too - same thing) to see if that would help.

Skateboard bearing manufacturers give you about a 5-year lifespan on bearings rated ABEC9, and I know my Flexi-Flyers are at least 30 years old by now. I'm interested in seeing if new bearings make a huge difference.

I got a Yamaha FP 7210 for my practice kit because it's light and packs small, and I actually love it more than my normal Pearl 900. Very light and responsive for heel-down playing. Cost about $70.

KamaK

Platinum Member
On my DTX kit, I have a Yamaha 7210. It plays very well with two exceptions.

1: If I finger tighten the tension spring adjustment, the lock washers will eventually let go and it will lose up. The hex and washers fall off the bottom, prompting a search and reassembly. The solution was house a wrench to tighten it. It has not loosened up since.

2: I'm used to a DW5000, and occasionally I play the Yamaha 'wrong' and the beater comes back and hits the top of my foot. Ouch! It's rare, but smarts enough that I'm mindful of how I play it.

I would ultimately recommend getting a used DW5000 and cleaning it up. They're <$100 (including the cost of a can of WD40). The benefit of owning a DW5000 is that you friends won't have to bring theirs to your house whenever they play your kit. It also avoids social embarrassment when your drumming friends talk about their 5000 and how much better it is than your cheap-ass-pedal.

goodcat1337

Necro-ing this thread to give some love to the Speed Cobra 310. I've had it for about 2 weeks and finally got a chance to play out with it this past weekend. I freaking love it. Super light and super fast. I've actually put my DW 5000 up on craigslist because I like this new pedal so much.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I think even the cheapest BD pedals use the same mechanism as DW and everyone else-- like even First Act. The total off brand crap might be missing some adjustments you want, but they should perform pretty well. I always just buy the cheapest Yamaha pedals.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I think even the cheapest BD pedals use the same mechanism as DW and everyone else-- like even First Act. The total off brand crap might be missing some adjustments you want, but they should perform pretty well. I always just buy the cheapest Yamaha pedals.

I agree, though I do draw a line with my recommendations. When people ask me about those $99 no-name double pedals you see on eBay, I cringe when I try to imagine the quality of these things. I'm far more likely to suggest a used PDP-502 over something like that.

goodcat1337

I'm a fan of the Pearl Demonator pedal as well. I play that at church, and it's really solid, even though it's only a single chain.

Best thing about the Speed Cobra I picked up is that it was only $65. I'm assuming maybe it was last year's model, but idk.