Best books that focus around the whole kit?

Phat_Rolls

Hello,

I've got books that focus mainly on hand technique - but now I'm looking for books that focus on working around the whole kit, a book that focuses on independence would be a huge plus. Does such a book exist?

Thanks!

cant go wrong with gary chester's New Breed, then again i've used a "hands only" book like stick control and applied it over the whole kit. also 4-way coordination by marvin dahlgren is another popular book that i use and recommend.

Tomtom123

Pat Petrillo, "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" Book/DVD was #2 in the MD Readers Poll...It works EVERYTHING...Just like it says on the box..there's like, 50 grooves with an mp3 play along, and really creative fill ideas..Rudiment and hand exercises, too. Can't recommend it enough. It's probably the only Book/DVD I can think of that does address everything at the same time.

It still seems that a book like "Syncopation" by Ted Reed is important. There are so many different ways to apply this book. Like reading the text with your right foot while playing 2 and 4 on snare and 8ths on hi hat. Or taking the 8th note text and playing it swing style. These are some things my teacher did with me when I was getting into higher levels of reading.
I also think the Buddy Rich rudiment book is good.

Tylerdrums109

Newbreed One and Two are great....plus Pat Petrillos DvD is supposedly amazing...and from what ive seen of it it is....so check those out

Phat_Rolls

Thanks to all for the tips.

For now I just got New Breed, which is a great book. I really like how he separates the systems from the melodies and you sorta just pick and choose which system + melody you want to play. When I first bought the book I thought I was gonna breeze right through it (before I understood the system+melody idea... I just thought it was a really short book), but as it turns out this book will take a LONG time to work! Good challenging book!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll work through this one for awhile and then look at some of the other suggested material.

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Phat Rolls

Just wanna give thanks to those for the recommendation and give you a little insight on HGF.

There is a section on ostinatos and reading rhythms with the bass drum, similar to New Breed, however, each 8 bar example has a play along track, so you can work what I call the "groove variations" on top of that in a musical context. Here's a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILW62ZAnVjk

Then theres a bunch of ghost note grooves, again with play alongs, and the fills section and hand exercises. Here's a Hudson sampler

http://hudsonmusic.com/woodshed.html

Good Luck in your studies !

N

nhzoso

I been working from a book Called Drumsense.. pretty good kit and coordination stuff in there. Pats book sounds good to I may have to check that out soon.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Hello,

I've got books that focus mainly on hand technique - but now I'm looking for books that focus on working around the whole kit, a book that focuses on independence would be a huge plus. Does such a book exist?

Thanks!
I'd go with Pat's book. Not only is it a great book; but once you have the author taking his time to tell you about it, it's a done deal.