Best Bass Drum Pillow/Muffling Pad

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I've always been curious about this. Does the foam grip the mic-mount rail firmly enough to hold it in place during transport? And then the velcro holding the foam is enough to hold it all in place?
The system reminds me of what I did in the early 90's stacking studio foam cut to the depth of my drum and then placing a small, round weighted table top mic stand on the foam. It worked well until I had to move it.
I ended up switching to the May internal system, and kept the foam in place.

:rolleyes:
Yeah, those custom molded IEM's are a sure money saver alright. :rolleyes:
The mic mount or boundary mic attach to the foam lock tight, it won;t move, when traveling with the kick.

If you don't use the mic attachement, and just a boundary mic, the foam will stay in place without velcro too.

Even when using a lighter mic (like the E602) on the attachement will not sway the foam without velcro when the kick is moved.

Its only when you add a heavier mic like the 52, the foam can move during traveling, so then velcro is advised.

Reactions: J-W

Chris Whitten

Drum Expert
:rolleyes:
Yeah, those custom molded IEM's are a sure money saver alright. :rolleyes:
No need to be snidey. You're talking to someone with permanent tinnitus and hearing loss from hundreds of rock shows before IEM's were invented and when hearing protection was never even thought of. Custom moulds don't save money they save your ears, which are a lifetime deal, you aren't going to replace them.
I was referring to a previous long exchange with the OP when I was advocating second hand cymbals rather than a new 'budget' cymbal pack.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Muffling any drum is 100% personal preference. The “correct” way is what gets me the sound I want.

We’ve all seen bass drums filled with towels, sleeping bags, pillows, sheets, blankets, foam, etc. but what blew my mind was when Simon Phillips talked about his pain can “trick” he learned from producer/engineer Don Was. I would later discover that placing a heavy mass inside the shell dampens shell vibration, making for a shorter, dryer bass drum sound. This is the same principle the KickPad Pro is used for.

Experimentation to get the sound one wants is required. Following others’ examples rarely leads to a learning experience. I love experimenting with my drum sounds ‘cuz I learn so much from my mistakes.

During the “How to record drums” workshop at Sweetwater, there was extensive discussion about muffling the bass drum. The instructor gave us three examples of muffling (foam, rolled towel, Evans EQ pad). He liked the Evans pad ‘cuz it allowed the head to vibrate very briefly. He also stated that it’s personal preference and there was no rules in a studio (just don’t harm the gear).

3F827309-D4FE-4536-8D94-AFD7EDBAAAFA.jpeg

Jajeo

Another vote for the Kickpro - I have one in a 14 × 20 drum and am very happy. I had it in an 18 x 22 and forgot about it. When I got the 20 I remembered I had it when I was moving the 22 and threw it in the 20 mashed between the heads - basically as a lark. I haven't taken it out! A great low focused thump - and still with good volume.

HansBal

It's not a pillow but does this work?

Stroman

Platinum Member

That should function similarly to Simon Phillips' method of rolling a towel and taping it to the head at the edge, which sounds phenomenal, BTW. I've not tried this Remo product, but I think it shows promise.

(The Simon Phillips method simply used tape, which could be messy to remove if you used regular duct tape. Ask me how I know...)

Bozozoid

Silver Member
When I used Velcro with my D.W. pillow or bone shaped thing I was happy (for a minute). From room to room I had to tweek and the Velcro became an irritant. I went back to my beach towel in which I STILL had to rearrange after transport but I'm to picky for a permanent stick down in which it was ALWAYS peel up!..stick down..peel up!..stick down..like the karate kid..paint da fence!. I'm always like baby bear looking for the porridge that's juuuust right.

cbphoto

Gold Member

It was apparently designed by Dave Weckl and Herbie May.

Quai34

Ok, after having read all the comment, I will stick with my Evans pad and a little towel, I like the thud I get, great impact, same for the Iow end I get too and if au need less sustain, I play with the gate I have on the two mikes on the kick, with the D112 Indie and the sky C5600 outside. Way enough options for a guy like me that do that as a hobby!!!!
At a time, you have to stop experimenting when you like what you have and do more recording....

HansBal

Of course I knew that! :) But he responds to everything except compliments...
But I really mean what I am saying. Listening to you weekly!

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I like the Kick Pro Pillows. I have one in every kit I own. I like a really hard feeling batter head without any rebound. A low tuning on the kick, with one of these slammed against the inside of the batter is perfect. Plus if it's a little too much you can always reposition it differently and get a different response.

Darth Vater

I generally run wide open kicks w/5" port but if I HAVE to muffle it I'll just roll up a hoodie and put it in there.

newoldie

Silver Member
I found these offer an interesting range of muffling intensities. Basically, 4 super sized clear moon gel pieces that really stick! Add 1 to 4 on either side and listen to the dampening/tonal options available. Bought mine on eBay.

Ahead Pro Kick Bass Drum Dampeners - 4-Pack Clear Gel for Overtone Control​