Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

I guess I was jaded against small kicks after buying this and being disappointed. After about a month I ordered my current kit and sold that tiny thing.

Here is drummer…: Bernard Purdie in a ..different.. music style.,!!. Surely he can 'play' in a Jazzy,+,Latin,+,Beats..!!. Dizzy Gillepie,tr ,5t ,Bobby Rodrigues,p , Micheal Howell,bass , prcx??..&.
Bernard Purdie., dr. Live Jazz-Concert in Italy ,'80,[email protected] -

I too think he got the Sgt Pepper thing muddled up, anyway...those ghosts notes, he really is the ghost note king...beautiful touch.

I love his fills where he just moves the right hand to the snare and toms playing the same figure. So simple yet feels soooo good

Great words of wisdom from a grrove master! Thanks for that posting.

So, amazingly, the one, the only Bernard "Pretty" Purdie has not only gotten himself a reddit account, he's been quite active there the past few days:

And as you can see, should you choose to investigate, it's really and truly him, his own impossibly funky self.

I have a lot of respect for Bernard Purdie, and every time I hear about his supposed involvement in Beatles recordings, it seems to me that many people take him for a fool.

That being said, I remembered seeing a Beatles cover album in the 70s, where I thought Bernard Purdie was playing. I couldn't recall the details of the album, but George Martin was the producer, and I just rediscovered this album while watching one of his interviews. It was an adaptation of a Broadway show with the Bee Gees and others. George Martin regretted being involved in it.

Indeed, Bernard Purdie played in it, along with Jeff Porcaro and members of Toto, as well as the brass section from Tower of Power, and even Jeff Beck and Larry Carlton.

I'm not looking to stir up controversy, but these recordings do exist, and Purdie played Beatles songs while collaborating with the Beatles' producer, at least.

Yeah, the Bee-Gees did a Sgt. Pepper's movie and album in like '78. A high profile project (a flop), but is anyone really equating that with the original? Memories are short, I guess.

I remember reading interview with Purdie in Modern Drummer magazine probably late 80s where he said he played over Ringo's drumming. That's not possible because they were use 2 track recordings back then.

FYI : Before we go here, rest assured there's an ad nauseum post of the same kind on DFO.

It simply amazes me the amount of mileage Purdie has gotten out of something with no wheels.

Dan

Bernard doing "his magic" on a beautiful song! (listen to those open hi-hats!)

I remember reading interview with Purdie in Modern Drummer magazine probably late 80s where he said he played over Ringo's drumming. That's not possible because they were use 2 track recordings back then.
It has been suggested that Purdie dubbed over Pete Best's drumming on some of the pre-Ringo stuff for a quickie ripoff release and not being a Beatles fanatic wasn't really clear on what he was playing—to him, at the time, it was just another gig. Later, he mentioned it (originally to Max Weinberg, I think), and the ensuing controversy seemed to take him by surprise, but he never backed down or clarified (probably because he still doesn't know which of the 100,000 sessions it was).

Back